Author Topic: Dropping Like Flies  (Read 2601141 times)

Brian_Wallace

Re: Dropping Like Flies
« Reply #1620 on: October 06, 2011, 04:59:50 pm »

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/mp3-downloads-music-piracy-ifpi,news-3315.html

So that leaves 5% (max, probably closer to 4%) of all music downloads were bought through itunes.  And that was in 2009.  It has to be lower now.  Wow!  Steve Jobs was a real savior to the music industry, then!   ::)  With friends like these....

Brian

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #1621 on: October 06, 2011, 05:12:12 pm »
Apple transformed the way the world uses music devices and computers

it was his company

Not for me....although he did kill the pleasureable experience of browsing the cd store to discover new music by putting most of them out of business with his impersonal iTunes. Some of us don't want to buy everything with the click of a mouse.

Jobs didn't do that, the music file sharing sites (Kazaa) did that, Jobs basically gave the music industry another chance to get their act together in a new world (BTW, the WWW code was written on a mac)

You don't think iTunes played a major role in killing the bricks and mortar music store? File stealing sites are just illegal versions of iTunes aren't they?

am saying that the file sharing sites came before iTunes, therefore, iTunes was an answer from the industry, using technology, to turn around their situation, which ultimately they did...Jobs was instrumental to achieve that...but the actual demise of your music store came because of Kazaa et al....

Ah....point well taken.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #1622 on: October 06, 2011, 05:14:08 pm »

So that leaves 5% (max, probably closer to 4%) of all music downloads were bought through itunes.  And that was in 2009.  It has to be lower now.  Wow!  Steve Jobs was a real savior to the music industry, then!   ::)  With friends like these....

Brian
insufferable douche.

I get it now - apple records, apple computers

bah

einstein was over rated as a scientist.

The beatles are over rated as a band.

Steve Jobs was over rated as an inventor of pleasant consumer electronics.

everyone is over rated

blabety blabety blah blah blah

I don't really care about any of it.  I just wanted to point out that you are often an insufferable douche.

That is all.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1623 on: October 06, 2011, 05:24:54 pm »
sorry . . . the word douche is very overrated.  could you please berate brian with a much better word?

ggw

« Reply #1624 on: October 06, 2011, 05:27:44 pm »
I nominate "enema" as a replacement for "douche."

You are such an enema Brian.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #1625 on: October 06, 2011, 05:34:19 pm »

Brian
insufferable douche.

I get it now - apple records, apple computers

bah

Ironically, I LOVE fruit.  Mmmmm....  Apples.  I mean apples aren't in raspberry's or nectarine's league but they're close.  A good McIntosh or Granny Smith on a crisp autumn morn after a good workout?   Bliss.

I love fruits.  I'm all about fruits.  Some rot your teeth, though.  Unpleasant.

Brian

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1626 on: October 06, 2011, 05:40:57 pm »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44806723/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

death of shops

not based on my opinion of the product or if people want to use it . . . but in this day and age and the already image of the government, is this really the smartest move?

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #1627 on: October 06, 2011, 05:58:55 pm »
I nominate "enema" as a replacement for "douche."

You are such an enema Brian.
how about butt plug?

Don't be such an insufferable butt plug Brian.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #1628 on: October 06, 2011, 06:12:26 pm »
Brian is a dingleberry.
(_|_)

azaghal1981

« Reply #1629 on: October 06, 2011, 07:51:56 pm »
Dingleberry is such a great and underused word.
احمد

vansmack

« Reply #1630 on: October 06, 2011, 07:52:22 pm »
Jesus, so much misinformation....

Scientists at Fraunhofer-Gesellshaft transformed the way the world listens to music, and Napster was the first to bring that to the masses.  Apple simply brougt it to the masses in a way the record companies thought they could tolerate. The record companies arenalready on record for regretting that decision.

And scientists a Xerox Park transformed the the way we use computers today. Again, Apple simpy brought that to the masses.

Jobs is given way too much credit as an 'innovator' - his real brilliance was seeing technology and applying it to real world situations. Woz was always the true innovator.  I owned an Apple IIe and the original Mac and neither of those reach my childhood fingertips without Steve Jobs.  By the time I'm a teenager, sure, but not at age 10.
27>34

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1631 on: October 06, 2011, 07:54:12 pm »
yeah, but you know how they treat people once they die . . . look at amy whinehouse.   ;D

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #1632 on: October 06, 2011, 08:39:56 pm »

"...but I've never seen those flowers in the barrel of a gun.
    All I've ever seen you do is run..."

It's iDeath.

I'm a complete idiot "douche" but even I know that Steve Jobs did NONE of the things he's credited for.

He didn't invent the personal computer.

He didn't invent the portable mp3 player.

He didn't invent Pixar.

He didn't invent the tablet computer.

He didn't invent an online store for digital music.

These things were ALL done previously by others and the products they created were just as good if not better than what jobs created.

So what DID he do?  He made it easier to be one of the crowd.  Which is the ultimate irony.  The ad campaign Apple is probably most known for is "Think Different."  If you buy an iPhone now, why do you do it?  Not because you're unique.  Not because you think it's the best cell phone for you.  You buy it because EVERYONE ELSE WANTS ONE!   Why do you think he made everything simple from a design perspective?  Because he wanted sheep!  He wanted a cult!  Do you remember the person from high school who wore funky, original clothing or do you remember the person who dressed just like everyone else?  What's original and "insanely great" about ANYTHING he did?  PLEASE TELL ME.  I want to know.  Because I can't think of ANYTHING.  He's like Elvis or Pat Boone.  He took something others (African-Americans) did a hell of lot better and put a simple, safe face on it for easy consumption.  YUM-YUM!

He didn't even invent NeXT computers.  And look how that turned out.  GOOGLE IT!  It's often referred to as his "only failure."  Probably the most "original" thing he did and it was an utter failure.

And I can't get over the fact that maybe Bill Gates is just as big a jerk as Steve Jobs was.  But he's using his influence and money to DO SOMETHING.  Making a difference.  Just for the global vaccine program ALONE.  And NO ONE, not even Jared Leto, is going to be tweeting when Bill Gates passes away.  Steve Jobs didn't even give any money to pancreatic cancer research!!!!  WHAT KILLED HIM!  I'm sure the multiple appropriate foundations could have used $35-50 million which is a tax-write off for him!  But NOOOOOOO!   That's right.  He really "dented" the universe.

And don't give me this tired shit about how he "changed" the way people listen to music.  You know who changed the way people listen to music?  For (actually) TWO HUGE reasons?  Les Paul.  No one gave a shit when he died.  Maybe Slash and Jimmy Page.

You know who else did?  You know who is in a large way responsible for why you can't spell, or communicate clearly and walk around like a zombie with ADD?  Nobutoshi Kihara.  Not Steve Jobs.  Not even close.

Sweet dreams.

Brian

eltee

« Reply #1633 on: October 06, 2011, 10:17:51 pm »

You know who is in a large way responsible for why you can't spell, or communicate clearly and walk around like a zombie with ADD?  Nobutoshi Kihara.  Not Steve Jobs.  Not even close.

Brian
Thanks for making things clearer, Brain_Walalce.

Mobius

« Reply #1634 on: October 06, 2011, 10:39:24 pm »
Apple made technology optimistic.  It took something oppressive and dehumanizng and made it feel positive.