Author Topic: Dropping Like Flies  (Read 2601292 times)

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
Re: Dropping Like Flies
« Reply #1830 on: April 26, 2012, 07:49:03 pm »
The Killers Saxophonist Tommy Marth Commits Suicide

Don't like the band at all but still think this is sad. Bet you he was bipolar. March and April are the biggest months of the year for bipolar suicides.

bearman🐻

« Reply #1831 on: April 27, 2012, 08:35:29 am »
Really?? I wonder why that is.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1832 on: April 27, 2012, 09:41:48 am »
drugs.

if you're in a band, and you die

drugs.

Jaguar

« Reply #1833 on: April 27, 2012, 11:26:11 am »
Really?? I wonder why that is.

Bipolar (aka manic depression) suicides will almost always occur when the person is about to drop off from a manic state. That's why you will often hear their friends and family saying things like that they were doing so well or that they were finally happy with things just before the event. Apparently, the patient, so to speak, knows their syndrome well enough to recognize that a drop is coming up which leads to a bout of serious depression. That's what they can't handle and, unfortunately, sometimes decide to take drastic measures into their hands. Many avoid the Lithium prescribed to them because that has so many bad side effects that they can't deal with.

In the spring, we get more light. Signs that summer is on the way. Many of us, bipolar and others (no, I am not bipolar but I have suffered bouts of major depression since I was 4 years old), get that nice spring fever lift. That can bring on a manic stage for a bipolar. People who suffer with bipolar disorders are usually very affected by light and seasonal disorders (aka SAD). It would seem that March and April is when we get the biggest lift from the benefits from more light (at least, in the northern hemispheres) which would also lead to more manic stages for bipolars; hence more eventual manic drops which bring on more of those going to extremes to avoid the onset of a major depressive stage.

*Clinical depressives (or sometimes referred to as unipolars because they don't get the manic side) are much less likely to go the suicide route because it is believed that they tend to just get too laid back and out of it to bother doing anything about it. Not that it's never happened but it's the bipolars who tend to be needing watched when it comes to serious suicide watches. 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 11:31:43 am by Jaguar »

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda

vansmack

« Reply #1835 on: May 02, 2012, 03:12:40 pm »
Junior Seau

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/report-nfl-legend-junior-seau-dead-182120394.html

I'm still shaking my head at this one.  Couldn't have been a nicer guy who seemed extremely well adjusted the many times I've met him.
27>34

chaz

« Reply #1836 on: May 02, 2012, 03:16:11 pm »
Apparently shot himself in the chest a-la  Dave Duerson, presumably to preserver the brain for concussion research.

The NFL has a problem of epic proportions on its hands. 

Was never a big fan of Seau or anything, but this is seriously sad news.

vansmack

« Reply #1837 on: May 02, 2012, 03:19:00 pm »
The NFL has a problem of epic proportions on its hands. 

So does that Charger's team:

http://deadspin.com/5867720/death-is-stalking-the-1994-chargers
27>34

chaz

« Reply #1838 on: May 02, 2012, 03:22:22 pm »
Yeah, I was aware that this team had more than it's fair share of early demises, but this:

"In 1998, LB Doug Miller was struck by lightning while camping in Colorado. CPR was being performed on Miller when he was struck again by a second bolt."

W T F

Who the hell gets struck by lightning twice in a row???

ggw

« Reply #1839 on: May 02, 2012, 03:42:22 pm »
"In 1998, LB Doug Miller was struck by lightning while camping in Colorado. CPR was being performed on Miller when he was struck again by a second bolt."

W T F

Look at the team's emblem.

Coincidence....??

hutch

« Reply #1840 on: May 02, 2012, 03:47:31 pm »
can't stand the NFL but knew enough to be saddened...seemed like a real nice guy...

they must be real sad in Samoa too... when I visited could tell they were real proud...

hutch

« Reply #1841 on: May 02, 2012, 03:47:59 pm »

W T F

Look at the team's emblem.

Coincidence....??

POTW

chaz

« Reply #1842 on: May 04, 2012, 12:54:51 pm »
On another board there's a thread discussing the validity of a rumor regarding Adam Youch's demise.  Hope this is not true.

eltee

« Reply #1843 on: May 04, 2012, 01:08:03 pm »

Don't like the band at all but still think this is sad. Bet you he was bipolar. March and April are the biggest months of the year for bipolar suicides.
Jaggy, thanks for the add'l details above. You mentioned this a few years ago on the board. I think you explained simply (which I have relayed to people) is through the winter months some have depression / SAD and when spring arrives while everyone else is out enjoying the light and has normal energy, those that are depressed are still weighted down. They are hard on themselves for not being able to get up and out, and thus become more depressed (esp. Mar/Apr). Something like that. anyhow, made sense, and as mentioned, have used that example when have SAD / spring change discussions with others or when unfortunate suicides make the news this time of year.

Jaguar

« Reply #1844 on: May 04, 2012, 10:56:10 pm »

Jaggy, thanks for the add'l details above. You mentioned this a few years ago on the board. I think you explained simply (which I have relayed to people) is through the winter months some have depression / SAD and when spring arrives while everyone else is out enjoying the light and has normal energy, those that are depressed are still weighted down. They are hard on themselves for not being able to get up and out, and thus become more depressed (esp. Mar/Apr). Something like that. anyhow, made sense, and as mentioned, have used that example when have SAD / spring change discussions with others or when unfortunate suicides make the news this time of year.

Eltee, what I wrote was a bit over-simplified and can't fit for all. Manic depression and SAD are actually 2 different syndromes though SAD will often affect other disorders. Clinical depression is yet something else altogether and can also be affected by SAD.

People who are affected by SAD usually either are most effected in the dead of winter or deep into summer. July is a big hitter. My SAD hits in the winter and the depression can be long lasting. I always think of April 21st as being my turn around point. I get lots of sunlight where I work now and I've found that it's done amazing wonders with keeping it under control.

April and March tend to be the most likely months for bipolars with suicidal tendencies to take action in that direction. It's still a disorder that they haven't fully cracked yet. I learned a lot about it while taking at course at Johns Hopkins on the relationship between the psyche and the arts. GREAT class! The professor, Kay Redfield Jamison, suffers from a bipolar disorder herself so, naturally, she tended to focus more in that area. She wrote a good book on the subject which I bought before the course was even offered. Had no idea at the time that she was local. She brought in every week some world class professional to lecture on the subject. One was Norman Rossenthal (sp?), the guy who wrote the book on SAD. Also, the guy (forget his name) who is the head of the Human Genome project. Learned a lot of interesting things, much of what were still very new findings. (Now, if only I could remember it all!)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 11:12:47 pm by Jaguar »