Author Topic: Dropping Like Flies  (Read 2601216 times)

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
Re: Dropping Like Flies
« Reply #2355 on: July 16, 2013, 04:44:38 pm »
😐 🎶

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2356 on: July 16, 2013, 05:05:51 pm »
clyde, my 92 year old neighbor.

there is zero chance that i'll be as active as he was, at 92.  he was clearly a child of the great depression.  on weekends he would go to flea markets and do things like buy broken lawn mowers for $10, fix them up (he had an amazing tool collection) and sell them for $25.  he made his own cigarettes and planted a big ol' garden.  when he heard how much i was going to spend on a new rain-barrel, he told me not to - and built one for me.  he was driving as of a month ago.  he was a proud WW2 vet, his car was covered with "remember pearl harbor"-type stickers.

gonna miss having him in the 'hood.
<sig>

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #2357 on: July 16, 2013, 05:13:29 pm »
Corey Monteith, of Glee fame (Finn).

Heroin, alcohol.

killsaly

azaghal1981

« Reply #2359 on: July 20, 2013, 06:07:20 pm »
^Last member of the White House press corps to have any balls (for lack of a better term). T-Model Ford news was a drag too. That Velvet show was a good one. Sweetcell's neighbor sounds swell too.

احمد

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2360 on: July 20, 2013, 08:39:47 pm »
i wanted to comment on how awesome she was . . . but that last scandal she suffered through, really still divides her praises amongst notions of it is ok to give her praises.

azaghal1981

« Reply #2361 on: July 20, 2013, 10:33:38 pm »
Fuck that. People say the same thing she said in Israel itself & the rest of the world on a daily basis with no recourse. Our media/government seem to feel it is their duty to coddle them at all costs and she was one of the few who didn't stand for it.
احمد

hutch

« Reply #2362 on: July 21, 2013, 08:52:45 am »
Her comments were certainly impolitic.....

Unfortunately you can't say much of anything critical of Israel.. you certainly can't say you don' think Israel should exist....

I'm glad the free local paper here in Falls Church offered her a place for continuing to publish her column..

It always struck me as strange that she could cover the White House for decades, be celebrated and respected, and then for making a few off the cuff comments she's essentially banished to Siberia. But we all know the reality of the American media.

My thinking would be : if we have to pay Israel billions.. if they basically take American citizens, give them Israeli citizenship and send them back to DC to be their Ambassador to America, if their leaders often times speak better American english than our own, if our presidential campaigns devolve into "who can kiss Israel's butt the hardest..." (anyone remember how Romney went over there to be photographed with the great Netanyahu and get the official Israel badge of approval), if so much of the world despises us for our position.... why don't we make it official and have Israel be the 51st state?  We certainly pay enough in blood and treasure for their benefit..we love them so much...everything about it is so great...let's just make it official and own it and then I would understand why we love it so much, "hey its the 51st state!!!!!!!!!! its america!"

azaghal1981

« Reply #2363 on: July 21, 2013, 03:35:56 pm »
Yeah pretty much all that. I didn't know she continued writing for anyone after she was booted from the press corps.

Her comments were certainly impolitic.....

Unfortunately you can't say much of anything critical of Israel.. you certainly can't say you don' think Israel should exist....

I'm glad the free local paper here in Falls Church offered her a place for continuing to publish her column..

It always struck me as strange that she could cover the White House for decades, be celebrated and respected, and then for making a few off the cuff comments she's essentially banished to Siberia. But we all know the reality of the American media.

My thinking would be : if we have to pay Israel billions.. if they basically take American citizens, give them Israeli citizenship and send them back to DC to be their Ambassador to America, if their leaders often times speak better American english than our own, if our presidential campaigns devolve into "who can kiss Israel's butt the hardest..." (anyone remember how Romney went over there to be photographed with the great Netanyahu and get the official Israel badge of approval), if so much of the world despises us for our position.... why don't we make it official and have Israel be the 51st state?  We certainly pay enough in blood and treasure for their benefit..we love them so much...everything about it is so great...let's just make it official and own it and then I would understand why we love it so much, "hey its the 51st state!!!!!!!!!! its america!"
احمد

bearman🐻

« Reply #2364 on: July 22, 2013, 01:34:46 pm »
First Gandolfini, now Dennis Farina. Damn.

radley17

« Reply #2365 on: July 22, 2013, 01:46:44 pm »
Faye Hunter-Let's Active bassist and vocalist

slappy

« Reply #2366 on: July 22, 2013, 02:36:53 pm »

Really sorry to hear about the circumstances that led up to it.
Always thought they were underrated.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/07/21/3046951/faye-hunter-part-of-80s-band-lets.html

atomicfront

« Reply #2367 on: July 22, 2013, 05:39:41 pm »

Oh no!!! I was just thinking about her the other day wodnering if Mitch would ever get back together with her.  Saw her back in the early 80's at old 930 club.  Great show. 

atomicfront

« Reply #2368 on: July 23, 2013, 10:01:48 am »
First Gandolfini, now Dennis Farina. Damn.

I think Farina's character died on the New Girl last season.  I enjoyed him in Snatch the most.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2369 on: July 23, 2013, 06:57:17 pm »
I have an autographed "Let's Active" record, oh wait.....
T.Rex