Author Topic: Dropping Like Flies  (Read 2600519 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Dropping Like Flies
« Reply #3450 on: January 23, 2015, 06:03:05 pm »
The Keep (which Tangerine Dream did the soundtrack for) had a huge influence on me in High School.

Tangerine Dream did this movie too.

i had both of these, along with thief, sorcerer, wavelength and firestarter, back in the day.  loved their early soundtrack work.

(i'm kinda lukewarm on that remix... too soon)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 06:04:45 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

ggw

« Reply #3451 on: January 23, 2015, 06:10:29 pm »

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #3452 on: January 24, 2015, 12:05:49 am »
ernie banks  :(

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3453 on: January 26, 2015, 10:36:18 am »
Greek singer Demis Roussos, who sold more than 60 million albums worldwide, has died aged 68 the Hygeia Hospital in Athens has confirmed to the BBC.

He was best known for his solo hits in the 1970s and 80s, including Forever and Ever, Goodbye and Quand je t'aime.

He was also a member of progressive rock group Aphrodite's Child.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-30984851
<sig>

ggw

« Reply #3454 on: January 29, 2015, 11:20:21 pm »
Rod McKuen, Prolific Poet and Lyricist, Dies at 81

Rod McKuen, a ubiquitous poet, lyricist and songwriter whose work met with immense commercial success if little critical esteem, died on Thursday in Beverly Hills, Calif. He was 81.

Mr. McKuen, whom The St. James Encyclopedia of Popular Culture described as having been, at his height, ?the unofficial poet laureate of America,? was the author of dozens of books of poetry, which together sold millions of copies.

For a generation of Americans at midcentury and afterward, Mr. McKuen?s poetry formed an enduring, solidly constructed bridge between the Beat generation and New Age sensibilities. Ranging over themes of love and loss, the natural world and spirituality, his work was prized by readers for its gentle accessibility while being condemned by many critics as facile, tepid and aphoristic.

Mr. McKuen?s output was as varied as it was vast, spanning song lyrics, including English-language adaptations (?Seasons in the Sun?) of works by his idol, Jacques Brel; music and lyrics, as for ?Jean,? from the 1969 film ?The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie,? for which he received an Academy Award nomination; and musical scores, including that of the 1973 television film ?Lisa, Bright and Dark.? He also appeared as a singer on television, on many recordings and in live performance.

But while he may never have won critical laurels, his lyrics were esteemed by many renowned performers. Frank Sinatra released the album ?A Man Alone: The Words and Music of McKuen? in 1969; Mr. McKuen?s songs were also recorded by Johnny Cash, Perry Como, Petula Clark, Barbra Streisand and many others.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #3456 on: February 03, 2015, 05:56:26 pm »
yup...its nuts

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3457 on: February 05, 2015, 12:34:22 am »
Don Covay

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/don-covay-influential-r-b-artist-songwriter-dead-76-20150203

Wrote songs covered by the Rolling Stone, Aretha Franklin, Little Richard and more

His biggest pop hit, 1964's "Mercy Mercy," which featured Jimi Hendrix on guitar, would go on to be the lead track on the U.S. version of the Rolling Stones' 1965 album Out of Our Heads. And his 1965 hit "See Saw," which he co-wrote with Steve Cropper, would become a Top 10 hit for Aretha Franklin three years after it came out. Prior to that, though, Franklin made a Number Two hit out of "Chain of Fools," a song that Covay had written with Otis Redding in mind in the Fifties.

Additionally, as songwriter and onetime employee at famed songwriting outpost the Brill Building, Covay would write hits for Solomon Burke ("I'm Hanging Up My Heart for You"), Gladys Knight and the Pips ("Letter Full of Tears"), Wilson Pickett ("I'm Gonna Cry") and Little Richard ("I Don't Know What You've Got but It's Got Me"). He also wrote songs for Etta James and Redding, and his own recordings have been covered by several artists, including Gene Vincent, Steppenwolf, Bobby Womack, Small Faces and many others.
T.Rex

vansmack

« Reply #3458 on: February 05, 2015, 06:40:57 pm »
Radio Shack  Finally.
27>34

hutch

« Reply #3459 on: February 05, 2015, 06:48:42 pm »
Radio Shack  Finally.

too bad..... i know people celebrate the end of the brick and mortar store these days...but every once in a while radio shack came in handy....and nobody had to go shop there (apparently most did not) so not sure why radio shack seemed to bother people...

« Reply #3460 on: February 05, 2015, 10:11:34 pm »
I will say RS strayed from it's hobbyist roots and that was the problem
I asked one of my staff to pickup a hard drive and he was like " I went in there and it was all Beats headphones and cell phones"
The internet made that random electrical/hobist  stuff waaay to easy to procure and I think that was ultimately their down fall
As the people who typically bought stuff at radio shack didn't like to be caught in sunlight
slack

vansmack

« Reply #3461 on: February 06, 2015, 01:02:36 am »
I was actually in one last Friday for the first time in years.  I drive past one on the way home from work and needed a longer Toslink cable for my new TV.   Best Buy was out of 6 foot cables so I decided I'd pay a little more and go to RS.

The sales guy (50+ overweight white male) was shocked to have a customer, and while being rather  nice, was following me around the store.  I'm a hobbyist so I was checking out all kinds of strange stuff.  At first I thought he was casing me in case I was going to steal something (despite being in a suit), but then I realized that I might be the only customer he sees on his shift so he was going to give me all of his attention.

He gave me a coupon for $10 off my next purchase of $40 or more.  Sadly, I won't be able to use it.  But truthfully, I've been racking my brain about what I'd buy anyway...for me Monoprice replaced RS years ago.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 01:04:07 am by vansmack »
27>34

« Reply #3462 on: February 06, 2015, 10:18:20 am »
At first I thought he was casing me in case I was going to steal something (despite being in a suit)
and white
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #3463 on: February 06, 2015, 11:19:28 am »
At first I thought he was casing me in case I was going to steal something (despite being in a suit)
and white
Well played.
LVMH

shemptiness

« Reply #3464 on: February 08, 2015, 11:29:32 am »
Dean Smith