Author Topic: Dropping Like Flies  (Read 2603069 times)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Re: Dropping Like Flies
« Reply #4050 on: November 29, 2015, 04:09:06 pm »
Sinead?

Got Haggis?

« Reply #4051 on: November 29, 2015, 04:26:23 pm »
too soon

"A representative has confirmed O?Connor is ?unwell and receiving treatment.?"

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #4052 on: December 04, 2015, 01:42:00 am »
Scott Weiland???

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #4053 on: December 04, 2015, 01:55:12 am »
😐 🎶

vansmack

27>34

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #4055 on: December 04, 2015, 08:11:14 am »
Sad.  Not surprising, perhaps.  Sad nonetheless.

K8teebug

« Reply #4056 on: December 04, 2015, 09:32:24 am »
So sad.

Space Freely

« Reply #4057 on: December 04, 2015, 09:48:41 am »
Are you guys saying it's "so sad" in a sort of generic way that you say it's sad anytime some random person you didn't know dies?

Admittedly, he came from a corner of the music world I'm not that familiar with, but from everything I've read in the past (which is admittedly not that much), he came off as sort of a dick. Perhaps some of you were friends with him and have anecdotal stories that would totally prove that statement off the mark? Did his music stir something deep in your soul, perhaps a connection that I totally missed out on?

Sorry, but Colorado Springs and San Bernadino sort of cornered the market on my sadness for this week.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 09:53:56 am by Space Freely »

hutch

« Reply #4058 on: December 04, 2015, 09:52:58 am »
when I saw his name flash on the ticker at the bottom of CNN a few hours ago...I had a bad feeling...

I think he was much maligned for no good reason really.. it seemed like in the early to mid 90s everyone wanted to kick around STP but if you listened to their music and followed their career they did some good stuff....they just didn't fit neatly enough into that Seattle tortured artist thing...funny thing is anyone who has seen pictures of the guys from Pearl Jam in their previous bands knows they were trying just as hard to sell records

I also think STP's macho Weiland preening looking like he had just worked out videos didn't help...they seemed to attract a higher lunkhead quotient early on but a few years on every grunge band had the same fans..

at the time I despised them as much as anyone but when I went back a few years ago and listened to their later albums like 4 or Shangrila I found much to like musically... There was definitely a time when hearing Plush made my skin crawl though....

their Thank You cd hits package with the bonus DVD with like 3 hours of footage was a nice touch..

Then of course there was the Pavement STP line which everyone thought was a clever put down...I think a few years ago I read it was no such thing..

Weiland did some weird things though... the Christmas album (which I have yet to hear)?

Space Freely

« Reply #4059 on: December 04, 2015, 10:17:13 am »
Are you guys saying it's "so sad" in a sort of generic way that you say it's sad anytime some random person you didn't know dies?

Admittedly, he came from a corner of the music world I'm not that familiar with, but from everything I've read in the past (which is admittedly not that much), he came off as sort of a dick. Perhaps some of you were friends with him and have anecdotal stories that would totally prove that statement off the mark? Did his music stir something deep in your soul, perhaps a connection that I totally missed out on?

Sorry, but Colorado Springs and San Bernadino sort of cornered the market on my sadness for this week.

On the other hand, we should be allowed to grieve whoever and however we wish without judgment. Sorry to those who I may have offended with that post.

hutch

« Reply #4060 on: December 04, 2015, 10:19:50 am »

On the other hand, we should be allowed to grieve whoever and however we wish without judgment. Sorry to those who I may have offended with that post.
thank you Ford..that was an unexpectedly nice thing to read..
I would say lately its

infinita tristeza

« Reply #4061 on: December 04, 2015, 12:17:53 pm »
Scott Weiland???

Looks that way

Manager just confirmed.
passed away in his sleep while on a tour stop in Bloomington, Minnesota, with his band The Wildabouts
yeah...sleep killed him
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4062 on: December 04, 2015, 12:23:19 pm »
Scott Weiland???

Looks that way

Manager just confirmed.
passed away in his sleep while on a tour stop in Bloomington, Minnesota, with his band The Wildabouts
yeah...sleep killed him
To be fair, many people take a nap while on heroin.
LVMH

chancegardener

• http://www.chancegardener.com
« Reply #4063 on: December 04, 2015, 01:14:55 pm »
Scott Weiland finally drops the mic. Ah well. My main impression of him was seeing Velvet Revolver at the Virgin Fest in Pimlico back in 2007 or so. It had been a kind of ho-hum parade of bands and then these guys came out, fronted by Weiland. Weiland then proceeded to show everyone -- audience and other bands -- how IT WAS DONE. One helluva great, mesmerizing performer and vocalist. ...His uncanny ability to mimic other singers (i.e. Vedder) eventually evolved into his own distinctive and powerful style. And his slithery skinny-leather pants and often shirtless on-stage appearance epitomized what a real rock star should look like. As for his music, Stone Temple Pilot's third record "Tiny Music" is an out-and-out classic, the moment went STP finally produced its own non-derivative vision. My favorite track from that is "Trippin on a Hole in a Paper Heart" -- just a superb 3 minute rock gem.

bearman🐻

« Reply #4064 on: December 04, 2015, 01:18:34 pm »
Scott Weiland finally drops the mic. Ah well. My main impression of him was seeing Velvet Revolver at the Virgin Fest in Pimlico back in 2007 or so. It had been a kind of ho-hum parade of bands and then these guys came out, fronted by Weiland. Weiland then proceeded to show everyone -- audience and other bands -- how IT WAS DONE. One helluva great, mesmerizing performer and vocalist. ...His uncanny ability to mimic other singers (i.e. Vedder) eventually evolved into his own distinctive and powerful style. And his slithery skinny-leather pants and often shirtless on-stage appearance epitomized what a real rock star should look like. As for his music, Stone Temple Pilot's third record "Tiny Music" is an out-and-out classic, the moment went STP finally produced its own non-derivative vision. My favorite track from that is "Trippin on a Hole in a Paper Heart" -- just a superb 3 minute rock gem.

Mine is "And So I Know". God, that song is so beautiful. Not at all what people would expect of STP. When they first emerged I remember how much shit they got. People were relentless in their hatred of that band, the media especially. And it's kind of funny now all these years later to see that they were appreciated (which is nice). I never saw Weiland and I wasn't a huge fan, but I appreciated him and I'm very sorry to see that he's gone.