Author Topic: Dropping Like Flies  (Read 2601003 times)

Yada

Re: Dropping Like Flies
« Reply #4065 on: December 04, 2015, 01:18:38 pm »
Scott Weiland finally drops the mic. Ah well. My main impression of him was seeing Velvet Revolver at the Virgin Fest in Pimlico back in 2007 or so. It had been a kind of ho-hum parade of bands and then these guys came out, fronted by Weiland. Weiland then proceeded to show everyone -- audience and other bands -- how IT WAS DONE. One helluva great, mesmerizing performer and vocalist. ...His uncanny ability to mimic other singers (i.e. Vedder) eventually evolved into his own distinctive and powerful style. And his slithery skinny-leather pants and often shirtless on-stage appearance epitomized what a real rock star should look like. As for his music, Stone Temple Pilot's third record "Tiny Music" is an out-and-out classic, the moment went STP finally produced its own non-derivative vision. My favorite track from that is "Trippin on a Hole in a Paper Heart" -- just a superb 3 minute rock gem.

A very nice tribute to a fallen ★.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4066 on: December 04, 2015, 01:36:18 pm »
As for his music, Stone Temple Pilot's third record "Tiny Music" is an out-and-out classic, the moment went STP finally produced its own non-derivative vision.
I agree with this.
LVMH

« Reply #4067 on: December 04, 2015, 01:37:08 pm »
When they first emerged I remember how much shit they got. People were relentless in their hatred of that band, the media especially. And it's kind of funny now all these years later to see that they were appreciated (which is nice).
Same with Silverchair. Both evolved into really interesting, distinct, bands in their later eras. But then no one bought any of those records.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #4068 on: December 04, 2015, 01:48:44 pm »
When they first emerged I remember how much shit they got. People were relentless in their hatred of that band, the media especially. And it's kind of funny now all these years later to see that they were appreciated (which is nice).
Same with Silverchair. Both evolved into really interesting, distinct, bands in their later eras. But then no one bought any of those records.

you, serious, breaux?

« Reply #4069 on: December 04, 2015, 01:53:25 pm »
you, serious, breaux?

Oh, I'll defend Neon Ballroom and Diorama up and down, mate.
LVMH

bearman🐻

« Reply #4070 on: December 04, 2015, 01:53:44 pm »

The last Charlatans LP that came out is easily the best thing they've done since the 1990's and I bet few people bought it. It's not on anyone's best of list. Most of the LPs I loved this year aren't, LOL. But it's kind of cool that there's totally brilliant music slipping through the cracks of the mainstream when everyone is off buying Kendrick Lamar and Grimes LPs. I just feel sorta bad for the bands trying to stick around and make a living by not re-hashing the past by playing their first 3 LPs over and over.

killsaly

« Reply #4071 on: December 04, 2015, 02:52:42 pm »

Poignant words.  I made this earlier this year. RIP

shemptiness

« Reply #4072 on: December 04, 2015, 05:03:27 pm »
As for his music, Stone Temple Pilot's third record "Tiny Music" is an out-and-out classic, the moment went STP finally produced its own non-derivative vision. My favorite track from that is "Trippin on a Hole in a Paper Heart" -- just a superb 3 minute rock gem.

Just listened to 'Tiny Music' for the first time in years.  It's solid.  I always liked that record.  Seemed a nice change from their previous, overplayed stuff.

« Reply #4073 on: December 04, 2015, 05:14:54 pm »
As for his music, Stone Temple Pilot's third record "Tiny Music" is an out-and-out classic, the moment went STP finally produced its own non-derivative vision. My favorite track from that is "Trippin on a Hole in a Paper Heart" -- just a superb 3 minute rock gem.

Just listened to 'Tiny Music' for the first time in years.  It's solid.  I always liked that record.  Seemed a nice change from their previous, overplayed stuff.
It's totally glam-y and '60s pop-y all at once. Definitely the most interesting thing they ever did. Its considered this huge flop and the end of their popularity but it went 2x platinum and had like three #1 hits in Trippin, Big Bang Baby, and Lady Picture Show. It's weird how that album is remembered. Its definitely the STP record I turn up playing most often.

(Art School Girl is a great track too.)
LVMH

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #4074 on: December 04, 2015, 07:48:05 pm »
Velvet Revolver at Pimlico destroyed

one of the best shows I have ever seen

talk about the real deal

I will say it was a surprise he lasted this long

vansmack

« Reply #4075 on: December 05, 2015, 03:35:35 pm »
Chuck Williams (of Williams Sonoma)
27>34

Nigel Tufnel

« Reply #4076 on: December 06, 2015, 06:55:24 pm »
Ken Beatrice.

shemptiness

« Reply #4077 on: December 06, 2015, 11:33:13 pm »

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #4078 on: December 07, 2015, 09:59:44 am »
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 10:01:45 am by ßèétſ »
😐 🎶

hutch

« Reply #4079 on: December 07, 2015, 10:02:59 am »
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
even I remembered that was years ago...

notable corrections of the NYT to their obituary.. did they get anything right?

Correction: December 5, 2012 

An earlier version of this obituary erroneously attributed a distinction to Mr. Brubeck.  He was the second jazz musician to be featured on the cover of Time magazine, not the first.  That version also misstated the name of a song at one point. It is ?Take Five,? not ?Time Out.? (?Time Out? is the name of the album on which ?Take Five? first appeared.) It also said that ?Take Five? was the first jazz single to sell a million copies, instead it was the album ?Time Out? that sold over a million copies.

Correction: December 11, 2012 

An obituary on Thursday about the jazz pianist and composer Dave Brubeck referred incorrectly to his military service during World War II. He enlisted in the Army; he was not drafted.