Author Topic: Dropping Like Flies  (Read 2600972 times)

shemptiness

Re: Dropping Like Flies
« Reply #4155 on: January 13, 2016, 03:41:09 pm »
The Ravens were expected to draft Phillips with the #4 pick in '96 - I think Modell was lobbying hard for him.  They ended up with Jonathan Ogden instead.  Wise choice.

Got Haggis?

Space Freely

« Reply #4157 on: January 14, 2016, 09:52:20 am »
Alan Rickman

« Reply #4158 on: January 14, 2016, 09:57:11 am »
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #4159 on: January 14, 2016, 10:06:53 am »
rip snape

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/jan/14/alan-rickman-giant-of-british-film-and-theatre-dies-at-69

Sorry for repeating your post.

I didn't notice your link, and actually thought you were posting that some guy named "Rip Snape" had passed away.

Relaxer

« Reply #4160 on: January 14, 2016, 10:18:28 am »
Yeah I hope no one with the name oliver dies because I grew up idolizing the wrestler Rip Oliver and I'd be just distraught
oword

K8teebug

« Reply #4161 on: January 14, 2016, 10:49:33 am »
This week can go fuck itself.

betao

« Reply #4162 on: January 14, 2016, 10:51:44 am »
In the past 3 weeks, we've lost Lemmy, Bowie, and now Rickman.

Cancer, you're a dick.

That is all.

Space Freely

« Reply #4163 on: January 14, 2016, 10:58:40 am »

Cancer, you're a dick.

That is all.

Bowie quit smoking in 2002, Rickman quit smoking at age 40, and Lemmy is probably still smoking.

All had probably started smoking by the time the surgeon general's first warning came out in 1964.

Why anyone would start smoking today in 2016 is beyond comprehension.

« Reply #4164 on: January 14, 2016, 11:11:22 am »

Cancer, you're a dick.

That is all.

Bowie quit smoking in 2002, Rickman quit smoking at age 40, and Lemmy is probably still smoking.

All had probably started smoking by the time the surgeon general's first warning came out in 1964.

I'm not a Dr, but don't think you can get liver cancer from smoking?
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4165 on: January 14, 2016, 11:22:57 am »

Cancer, you're a dick.

That is all.

Not sure if serious. . .
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #4166 on: January 14, 2016, 11:23:35 am »

Cancer, you're a dick.

That is all.

There's no proof that smoking caused my dad's pancreatic cancer either, but I'm guessing smoking for 40 years didn't help.

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/news/study-smoking-dramatically-increases-liver-cancer-risk

« Reply #4167 on: January 14, 2016, 11:26:37 am »
Ok..IDK that you could get liver cancer from smoking

What are the Causes and Risk Factors of Liver Cancer?

The exact cause of liver cancer is not known. Scientists have found that people with certain risk factors are more likely than others to develop liver cancer. Common risk factors include:

Gender:  Men are twice as likely as women to get liver cancer.

Obesity: Obesity increases the risk of developing liver cancer.

Family history: People who have family members with liver cancer may be more likely to get the disease.

Viral infection: The most important risk factor for liver cancer is a chronic infection (on-going) with the hepatitis B or the hepatitis C virus. These viruses can be passed from person to person through blood (such as sharing needles) or sexual contact. An infant may catch these viruses from an infected mother. Liver cancer can develop after many years of infection with the viruses.

Cirrhosis: Cirrhosis is a disease that develops when liver cells are damaged and replaced with scar tissue. It may be caused by alcohol abuse, certain drugs or chemicals and certain viruses or parasites. About 5 percent of people with cirrhosis develop liver cancer.

Smoking and alcohol: There is a link between smoking and liver cancer. The risk may be even greater for people who also abuse alcohol.

Aflatoxin: Liver cancer can be caused by aflatoxin, a harmful substance made by certain types of fungus that can contaminate peanuts, wheat, soybeans, ground nuts, corn and rice. Long-term exposure to aflatoxins increases the risk of liver cancer.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 11:28:13 am by Sidehatch ★ |̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅| ★ »
slack

hutch

« Reply #4168 on: January 14, 2016, 12:22:33 pm »
well its not that easy to quit unfortunately.. smoking becomes engrained in you.. becomes part of who you are and how you "live"...and it can even become a part of the culture... and of course its a social disease too....obesity is too btw... if a lot of the people you know are smoking then you tended to become a smoker... this is the milieu somebody like david bowie would have been around in the 1960s and 70s...its hard to explain to somebody today, when everyone basically gives you the death stare for smoking in the street and parks say "do not smoke" how it was back then.. I can remember as a kid riding on airplanes long distances and hating the smoke all around me but it was just the way it was.. if you look at pictures of conference meetings back in the day everybody smoked and it was full of ashtrays everywhere...so I try not to be judgmental of somebody who started smoking way back when...I can remember my parents, both not smokers, hosting dinners and having to carry carton after carton of cigarettes..it was the polite thing to do.. the next day i'd come downstairs and the house would smell like an ashtray..so gross..and yet they had to have cigarettes for their guests.. that is just the way it was..

as far as today, it is pretty hard to understand why anyone would smoke today... I mean its not like its very social or much fun to smoke outside a club/bar in the freezing cold often by yourself...

in my case I love smoking very much.. passionately..when I smoked I did because I loved it.. i'm not one of those people who stops smoking and then thinks "oh I can't believe I did that..." and proceeds to hate on those who smoke..god, I hate those people...but I have kids and a partner who hates smoke like the plague.. so many years ago- like 14- I cut way back...how this love for smoking developed seems really weird given how much everyone in my family detests smoking and how I grew up hating it... even after having cut way back and only had a couple of cigs last week next door to the 930 at the satellite room I get incredible cravings for nicotine close to a full week later!..which is really astounding to me considering the previous couple of cigs I had was in like April of last year.... I have no doubt that if I was on my own I would continue smoking..

my aunt had breast cancer, stopped smoking, and quite a few years later she took it up again... it is a very hard habit to kick....

vansmack

« Reply #4169 on: January 14, 2016, 01:03:38 pm »
27>34