Author Topic: Dropping Like Flies  (Read 2600286 times)

Yada

Re: Dropping Like Flies
« Reply #4215 on: January 26, 2016, 03:57:20 pm »
Concepcion Picciotto

Wow - haven't thought of her in a while.  When I worked at 15th and H, I used to give her my leftovers all the time...

humblebrag

When I used to work at the White House, I talked to her almost every day... beat that. ;)

Good call on newspaper guy, I used to see him all the time as well. Did he pass? Haven't seen him in a loooooong time, however, I don't hang in Adams Morgan/Dupont/U Street too often.

Edit: Also, I used to hear all kinds of crazy things about him, his life, etc... Any deets?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 04:20:10 pm by Yada »

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4216 on: January 26, 2016, 04:09:38 pm »
Concepcion Picciotto
So I guess that Fugazi reunion really never will happen now.
LVMH

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #4217 on: January 26, 2016, 04:15:02 pm »
😐 🎶

« Reply #4218 on: January 26, 2016, 04:23:01 pm »
Good call on newspaper guy, I used to see him all the time as well. Did he pass? Haven't seen him in a loooooong time, however, I don't hang in Adams Morgan/Dupont/U Street too often.

Edit: Also, I used to hear all kinds of crazy things about him, his life, etc... Any deets?
Hutch had found a city paper article a few years back
but have not see or heard from him in over a decade
slack

hutch

« Reply #4219 on: January 26, 2016, 07:44:14 pm »

Hutch had found a city paper article a few years back
but have not see or heard from him in over a decade

oh well I saw him a few years back.. maybe 3..

well electric blue suit guy otherwise known as newspaper guy was fascinating.. he had this schedule he would do every day around Adams/Dupont/U Street where he would stop say at a bookstore , buy a paper, then shuffle down the hill to say the record store/.  he would talk to the store clerk who would seem mildly irritated- sometimes- then move along and he just spent all day like that going from place to place to place..without exception no matter the weather.. no matter how hot in his electric blue suit..I think he also had a gray suit.. both were quiet OVERSIZED..

when I had a child on the autism spectrum three years back and realized a little about what it was -which took a while- I put 2 and 2 together and began to think maybe he was on the spectrum... probably high functioning maybe aspergers (which is a weird classification).... i think it explains a bit of his behavior which was so repetitive in many aspects: always the same clothes.. always the same stores/.. the same walk in the same order....even the shuffle walk (my child has OT/ST/PT issues)...there used to be a facebook page dedicated to him.. "where is mark" I forget his last name...but it sort of petered out.. I think one time I posted a picture of him on that page...people would be like posting "saw him on the bla bla bus at 3:42 pm Thursday".. the owner of Som records would know where he is that is for sure as he used to stop there all the time even though he never not once bought anything..

he sure walked a lot... one of the last times I saw him was all the way up in Columbia Heights in front of that mall with the Target (on the other side of the street).. probably six years ago

the rumour I always heard was that he was a trust fund guy which afforded him the ability to do pretty much nothing... I can't imagine he would have enjoyed sticking around as the neighborhood became so horribly gentrified and so much of what he was "used to" changed.. it would be horribly "uprooting" for someone on the spectrum who defined his life in terms of doing the same things and having the same limited social interactions with the same people to have that all change so drastically..on the other hand changing environments entirely could be even worse so he might still be around..

I have to say he always seemed like a nice guy.. just a little out of sorts..all the times I walked past him I don't know that I ever said "hi" because there was some really weird vibe.. of course I ran into him so much on those circuits of his- because I had my own circuits for years (2003-2010) so maybe he thought/thinks the same thing about me! And sometimes it does make me wonder...like maybe I'm the socially dysfunctional one..well I kinda am as you can tell.

hutch

« Reply #4220 on: January 26, 2016, 07:54:09 pm »
mark kapiloff..

it just came to me like a lightning bolt... that is his name.. there was a facebook page kind of like "where is waldo" but I think it got taken down....

this was the picture I apparently took in 2009 in Columbia Heights... I saw him a few years after.. My nickname for him was "Everywhere man"..

« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 07:59:44 pm by hutch »

Space Freely

« Reply #4221 on: January 26, 2016, 08:06:14 pm »
Wow, we used to see that guy all the time when we lived in Adams Morgan in the early 2000's.

I have no stories to add other than we referred to him as "The Mayor of Adams Morgan", or sometimes just "The Mayor".

dyecraig

« Reply #4222 on: January 26, 2016, 08:13:35 pm »
oh yeah "rumpled guy" - all the time in my 90's adams morgan clubbing heyday.
saw him coming out of 'som' maybe 2 years ago.
he hasn't actually dropped like a fly, has he? I hope not. 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 08:16:55 pm by dyecraig »

hutch

« Reply #4223 on: January 26, 2016, 08:22:52 pm »
oh yeah "rumpled guy" - all the time in my 90's adams morgan clubbing heyday.
saw him coming out of 'som' maybe 2 years ago.
he hasn't actually dropped like a fly, has he? I hope not. 

I dont' think so..

we just haven't seen him recently...I saw him at SOM about 3 years ago myself....

we were thinking about local celebrities..like ban nuclear weapon lady in front of the white house (RIP), compliment man (moved south), blelvis, black black cat guy (RIP), rumpled guy....

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #4224 on: January 26, 2016, 10:30:31 pm »
That Oregon standoff

walk,on,by

« Reply #4225 on: January 27, 2016, 01:45:28 am »
Woman, white house protestor.  She changed, everything.

walk,on,by

« Reply #4226 on: January 27, 2016, 01:49:37 am »
Marvin minsky.  He actually, did things.

Yada

« Reply #4227 on: January 27, 2016, 09:58:05 am »
nice recap, hutch...however, I never took you as a creeper.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4228 on: January 27, 2016, 10:02:40 am »
Marvin minsky.  He actually, did things.
Pardon me, walkie, but he did NOT play on some band's record that sold <20,000 copies. WHO CARES?
LVMH

killsaly

« Reply #4229 on: January 27, 2016, 12:46:24 pm »
That Oregon standoff
not quite dead yet...