Author Topic: Dropping Like Flies  (Read 2600896 times)

Unsanity

Re: Dropping Like Flies
« Reply #4860 on: November 26, 2016, 04:38:02 am »

Space Freely

« Reply #4861 on: November 27, 2016, 01:14:27 pm »
Ron Glass

walkie,talkie

« Reply #4862 on: November 28, 2016, 12:18:39 pm »
Thursday night football?

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #4863 on: November 28, 2016, 05:30:18 pm »
Colonel Abrams
😐 🎶

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #4864 on: November 28, 2016, 08:32:29 pm »
Fidel Castro

<sarcasm>Awe what a shame.</sarcasm>
FUKIT

hutch

« Reply #4865 on: November 28, 2016, 08:38:35 pm »
Fidel Castro

<sarcasm>Awe what a shame.</sarcasm>

I got to say I can't get too bent out of shape from Castro dying but Americans so quick to celebrate should look into Batista's legacy a little bit..  you know.. when the American mafia ran Havanna...

hutch

« Reply #4866 on: November 28, 2016, 08:44:40 pm »
or alternatively people so quick to completely dismiss Castro might want to look at how the rest of Latin America did during the same time period..and what interventions the US made...

Space Freely

« Reply #4867 on: November 28, 2016, 09:19:14 pm »
or alternatively people so quick to completely dismiss Castro might want to look at how the rest of Latin America did during the same time period..and what interventions the US made...

You're not gonna go all idiot Trudeau on us are you?

hutch

« Reply #4868 on: November 28, 2016, 09:45:21 pm »

I have no idea what Trudeau did..

I do not mourn Fidel's passing but it is all too easy go all idiot Trump....

Space Freely

« Reply #4869 on: November 28, 2016, 10:39:46 pm »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/11/26/trudeau-called-castro-a-remarkable-leader-twitter-imagined-what-he-would-say-about-stalin/

hutch

« Reply #4870 on: November 28, 2016, 11:06:03 pm »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/11/26/trudeau-called-castro-a-remarkable-leader-twitter-imagined-what-he-would-say-about-stalin/

well what part of it do you disagree with? Fidel wasn't a remarkable leader? or maybe you don't agree he was controversial? or larger than life? or beloved by the Cuban people.

please explain

Fidel Castro was an EPIC leader.. US president after president tried to take him down and he said "NOT HERE!"

Like I said.. I don't mourn his loss.. and maybe Trudeau could have toned it down a bit but he's pretty much right on the money and anybody that has studied him would agree..and I did study him in great detail in graduate school... my teacher was a former CIA guy.. and he would agree with everything Trudeau said....Fidel was remarkable.. a truly remarkable leader.. that doesn't make him a good person necessarily.... he was obviously fairly ruthless...and self-serving. my own feeling is he way way overstayed his time...at great cost to the Cuban people... but it is easy to forget what the US was doing at the time...in countries like Argentina.. supporting the military dictatorship that made over 10,000 people "dissapear"....Do you judge American presidents by the same standards? The US presidents were providing weaponry, advice, training to Latin America's right wing dictators .. when there wasn't a dictator they made sure to overthrow the democratically elected presdient be it Arbenz in Guatemala or Allende in Chile... Protecting United Fruit  or the mining interests was always more important than the democratic order in these countries...

Well, Fidel said.. "Not here!" and he eventually ceded complete control and power and the US had to make the peace because Obama realized just how ludicrous and insane the whole US vendetta against Cuba had become...

Or you can choose to believe Marco Rubio of course.. a complete and utter tool.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 11:07:56 pm by wood9 »

Space Freely

« Reply #4871 on: November 29, 2016, 11:16:53 am »

well what part of it do you disagree with? Fidel wasn't a remarkable leader? or maybe you don't agree he was controversial? or larger than life? or beloved by the Cuban people.

please explain

Fidel Castro was an EPIC leader.. US president after president tried to take him down and he said "NOT HERE!"

Like I said.. I don't mourn his loss.. and maybe Trudeau could have toned it down a bit but he's pretty much right on the money and anybody that has studied him would agree..and I did study him in great detail in graduate school... my teacher was a former CIA guy.. and he would agree with everything Trudeau said....Fidel was remarkable.. a truly remarkable leader.. that doesn't make him a good person necessarily.... he was obviously fairly ruthless...and self-serving. my own feeling is he way way overstayed his time...at great cost to the Cuban people... but it is easy to forget what the US was doing at the time...in countries like Argentina.. supporting the military dictatorship that made over 10,000 people "dissapear"....Do you judge American presidents by the same standards? The US presidents were providing weaponry, advice, training to Latin America's right wing dictators .. when there wasn't a dictator they made sure to overthrow the democratically elected presdient be it Arbenz in Guatemala or Allende in Chile... Protecting United Fruit  or the mining interests was always more important than the democratic order in these countries...

Well, Fidel said.. "Not here!" and he eventually ceded complete control and power and the US had to make the peace because Obama realized just how ludicrous and insane the whole US vendetta against Cuba had become...

Or you can choose to believe Marco Rubio of course.. a complete and utter tool.

I guess if you use the textbook definition of the word "remarkable", Castro was indeed remarkable (so was Hitler). But let's not downplay the bad parts.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/11/27/don-t-forget-fidel-castro-s-brutal-oppression-of-gay-people.html

hutch

« Reply #4872 on: November 29, 2016, 12:13:35 pm »
ah the old Hitler analogy.. never fails when in a pinch!

its obvious you don't want to have an actual exchange of ideas... I write 500 words you respond with a link to someone else's thinking... as if "Hey lookie here boys! Somebody else said this so it must all be right and I don't have to think for myself!!!! goodie!"

as I said I will not mourn his passing but over and beyond any human rights crimes Castro committed he is remarkable..the fact that he stayed leader of Cuba in spite of so many efforts by the US to get rid of him decade after decade. .the fact he became a leader of the developing world in the 1970s...the fact under his leadership Cuba played an outsized role all over the world...the fact that he became an iconic figure in the world.. now, in 2016 its hard for people who weren't there and don't believe in reading or studying the past to understand just how big a personality Fidel Castro was back in the day....we more easily remember the past 15 years where he was a shadow of himself and largely off the scene....but  there are many remarkable things he did... you just don't happen to know anything about Castro or Cuba... the thousands of Doctors Cuba sent all over the developing world to help people.... go ask about Castro in may African countries and see what they say before you come posting your links... heck, the revolution in Cuba... As I mentioned in a previous post Batista - OUR little dictator in Cuba- wasn't exactly a shrinking violet.. And, again, before you go pointing the finger at someone else's human rights abuses you should look into the human rights abuses the US actively supported, encouraged and funded in many places around the world...

Its very easy to simply say "He killed millions of people and was like Hitler".. its a little harder to learn...

Space Freely

« Reply #4873 on: November 29, 2016, 12:27:27 pm »
ah the old Hitler analogy.. never fails when in a pinch!

its obvious you don't want to have an actual exchange of ideas... I write 500 words you respond with a link to someone else's thinking... as if "Hey lookie here boys! Somebody else said this so it must all be right and I don't have to think for myself!!!! goodie!"

as I said I will not mourn his passing but over and beyond any human rights crimes Castro committed he is remarkable..the fact that he stayed leader of Cuba in spite of so many efforts by the US to get rid of him decade after decade. .the fact he became a leader of the developing world in the 1970s...the fact under his leadership Cuba played an outsized role all over the world...the fact that he became an iconic figure in the world.. now, in 2016 its hard for people who weren't there and don't believe in reading or studying the past to understand just how big a personality Fidel Castro was back in the day....we more easily remember the past 15 years where he was a shadow of himself and largely off the scene....but  there are many remarkable things he did... you just don't happen to know anything about Castro or Cuba... the thousands of Doctors Cuba sent all over the developing world to help people.... go ask about Castro in may African countries and see what they say before you come posting your links... heck, the revolution in Cuba... As I mentioned in a previous post Batista - OUR little dictator in Cuba- wasn't exactly a shrinking violet.. And, again, before you go pointing the finger at someone else's human rights abuses you should look into the human rights abuses the US actively supported, encouraged and funded in many places around the world...

Its very easy to simply say "He killed millions of people and was like Hitler".. its a little harder to learn...

I'm sorry, I don't have 500 words worth of work time to dedicate to message board monologues nor do I have it at home either. I agree that he did a number of good things for his people (as did Hitler). I just can't get past the human rights abuses enough to mourn and glorify the dude. Maybe we're not so different in our assessments of the man. Maybe I just like to be contrary and you just like to show us how smart graduate school made you.

walkie,talkie

« Reply #4874 on: November 30, 2016, 12:32:01 pm »
grant tinker.  not, like hitler.