Author Topic: Dropping Like Flies  (Read 2596640 times)

Re: Dropping Like Flies
« Reply #6285 on: March 13, 2019, 06:12:15 pm »
The Death Penalty In California!
slack

hutch

« Reply #6286 on: March 13, 2019, 06:45:23 pm »
Good

Someday all my views will be standard but I will be dead

Space Freely

« Reply #6287 on: March 13, 2019, 07:57:21 pm »
Boeing 737 Max...per the FAA
(too soon?)

DC-10s killed way more people in the 70's, it took them longer to ground them and address issues, and some pilots gave them the nickname "death cruisers"...but they still went on to have a pretty successful life once they fixed what they needed to. The A320 had some issues too and there were crashes before it became a popular plane. Fly-by-wire was a radical concept in 1988. That being said, I'm glad they are looking into what the issue is with the MAX, and I'm certain it'll be a very airworthy craft.

Two crashes in six months out of literally thousands of flights and people are panicking? Idiots.

Hello page 420.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6288 on: March 13, 2019, 08:11:42 pm »
(too soon?)

DC-10s killed way more people in the 70's, it took them longer to ground them and address issues, and some pilots gave them the nickname "death cruisers"...but they still went on to have a pretty successful life once they fixed what they needed to. The A320 had some issues too and there were crashes before it became a popular plane. Fly-by-wire was a radical concept in 1988. That being said, I'm glad they are looking into what the issue is with the MAX, and I'm certain it'll be a very airworthy craft.

Two crashes in six months out of literally thousands of flights and people are panicking? Idiots.

i was tempted to make the same point, because that was the first thing that hit me.  but then i googled "how many boeing 737 MAX are in service" and learned the answer is 350 (as Jan'19, so maybe a few dozen more since then).  so out of ~350 planes, 2 have fallen out of the sky.  planes need to be more reliable than that - especially since we know the system that is responsible for these crashes.  "welcome to XYZ international airport.  you have a 1 in 200 chance of ending up very dead today.  enjoy your flight!"
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #6289 on: March 13, 2019, 08:55:04 pm »
(too soon?)

i was tempted to make the same point, because that was the first thing that hit me.  but then i googled "how many boeing 737 MAX are in service" and learned the answer is 350 (as Jan'19, so maybe a few dozen more since then).  so out of ~350 planes, 2 have fallen out of the sky.  planes need to be more reliable than that - especially since we know the system that is responsible for these crashes.  "welcome to XYZ international airport.  you have a 1 in 200 chance of ending up very dead today.  enjoy your flight!"

Your 1 in 200 (actually 1 in 175) assumes each plane makes only one flight in it's lifetime.  :P

That said, two crashes is two too many.

bearman🐻

« Reply #6290 on: March 14, 2019, 08:25:38 am »
No question. 2 is too many. And what Boeing has likely done (though I'll reserve judgment til I know more for sure) is probably criminal. That being said, the shutdown didn't help matters, and we're dealing with an administration that has polluted MANY areas of the government. I suspect there are a lot of issues here beyond Boeing and aircraft safety. Like I said, grounding the planes was the right thing to do because they need to figure out what the issues are, and it's probably more than just one factor. Maybe all we needed was one plane to show us that there's a problem, but bureaucracy and a needless shutdown impaired people from doing their jobs, and now close to 200 more people paid the price for incompetence, negligence and sheer brazen stupidity. It's infuriating and upsetting. But I also think we need to look at all sides of this. Unfortunately, Boeing isn't looking too great in light of how they handled the Hair Force One controversy after Trump said he wanted to cancel the order for the new 747-8s, but somehow that was resolved. Gee, I wonder why.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/business/chummy-president-donald-trump-boeing-relationship-explained/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/03/14/trump-wanted-his-personal-pilot-head-faa-critical-job-is-still-vacant-amid-boeing-fallout/?utm_term=.2ab52e1aeea3

« Reply #6291 on: March 14, 2019, 08:48:26 am »
Hair Force One controversy
probably a typo....but love that!
also methinks Bearman works in the airline industry...
2 is too many, but air travel today is still safer than riding a bike

this data is old, but still proves the point
Dr. Arnold Barnett, of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, has done extensive research in the field of commercial flight safety. He found that over the fifteen years between 1975 and 1994, the death risk per flight was one in seven million. This statistic is the probability that someone who randomly selected one of the airline's flights over the 19-year study period would be killed in route. That means that any time you board a flight on a major carrier in this country, your chance of being in a fatal accident is one in seven million. It doesn't matter whether you fly once every three years or every day of the year.
slack

bearman🐻

« Reply #6292 on: March 14, 2019, 09:30:07 am »
Not a typo LOL

I’m just a huge civil aviation buff. I don’t know why, it’s just always fascinated me.

hutch

« Reply #6293 on: March 14, 2019, 02:36:09 pm »
Birch Bayh

Yada

« Reply #6294 on: March 15, 2019, 10:24:09 am »
Jake Phelps

« Reply #6295 on: March 15, 2019, 10:39:18 am »
Jake Phelps
with out a doubt Thrasher's influence on me when it comes to lifestyle, music, fashion and attitude was immeasurable...

Love that last line....who teaches you how to skate? the fuckin' concrete
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 11:06:54 am by Sïdehätch ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

vansmack

« Reply #6296 on: March 15, 2019, 12:25:31 pm »
with out a doubt Thrasher's influence on me when it comes to lifestyle, music, fashion and attitude was immeasurable...

Ditto
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6297 on: March 15, 2019, 12:30:49 pm »
same.

also, thank you sidehatch for posting a bit of context.  i didn't recognize the name jake phelps.
<sig>

« Reply #6298 on: March 15, 2019, 12:35:08 pm »
i didn't recognize the name jake phelps.
TBH either did I...was actually going to make some snarky Michael Phelps joke...then I did a websearch
slack

Yada

« Reply #6299 on: March 15, 2019, 01:20:02 pm »
So this guy greatly influenced your lives, yet you don't know who he is. Makes sense.