Author Topic: Dropping Like Flies  (Read 2601245 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Dropping Like Flies
« Reply #8685 on: April 05, 2022, 03:04:40 pm »
Francisco González, Los Lobos founding member and guitar-string pioneer, dead at 68

González would leave the group within a year, just before they went on to become the most famous Chicano rock group of them all. But the East L.A. native nevertheless became a musical icon of his own. He became an apostle for son jarocho, fostering relations between jaraneros in the United States and Mexico. He released solo albums and performed in venues as varied as colleges and prisons.

His handmade strings for Mexico’s family of guitars — the sonorous requinto, the high-toned jarana, the deep-bottomed guitarrón, the warm bajo sexto, and others — were lifelines for musicians with no other options in the United States for their instruments.

In Mexico, old-timers said that González’s handiwork made instruments resonate with a sound they hadn’t heard in decades.

https://www.latimes.com/obituaries/story/2022-04-04/francisco-gonzalez-los-lobos-guadalupe-custom-strings
I mean, we still have two-time AL MVP Juan González so that's pretty good.
LVMH

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #8686 on: April 05, 2022, 03:51:49 pm »
Gene Shue - Gene Shue, Towson Catholic and Maryland standout who was five-time NBA All-Star and coached Bullets to NBA Finals, dies.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bs-sp-ob-gene-shue-20220405-5lo4vyw7yfe6xedz5avas6mkju-story.html

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #8687 on: April 05, 2022, 03:53:09 pm »
At least we still have former (and probably still) hottie, Elizabeth Shue.  That's pretty good. (sorry Julian)

Gene Shue - Gene Shue, Towson Catholic and Maryland standout who was five-time NBA All-Star and coached Bullets to NBA Finals, dies.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bs-sp-ob-gene-shue-20220405-5lo4vyw7yfe6xedz5avas6mkju-story.html

« Reply #8688 on: April 05, 2022, 03:59:17 pm »
At least we still have former (and probably still) hottie, Elizabeth Shue.  That's pretty good. (sorry Julian)
No apologies necessary. Just glad to be spreading the gospel of positivity in the face of such loss.
LVMH

« Reply #8689 on: April 06, 2022, 08:58:50 am »
goodness, the infection is spreading
slack

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #8690 on: April 10, 2022, 04:30:19 pm »
😐 🎶

Space Freely

« Reply #8691 on: April 10, 2022, 05:08:39 pm »
Did anybody mention Dwayne Haskins?

Starsky

« Reply #8692 on: April 10, 2022, 06:01:24 pm »

« Reply #8693 on: April 10, 2022, 09:11:24 pm »
God that one made me feel old as shit. That dude was operating an offense against Michigan like a hot knife thru butter like two years ago and now this. Holy fuck. A dude I’m fifteen years older than not only accomplished all that but he died before me. Life is fucked.
LVMH

Starsky

« Reply #8694 on: April 10, 2022, 09:20:19 pm »

Nick Cave learning from the master….Chris Bailey

Space Freely

« Reply #8695 on: April 11, 2022, 08:48:27 am »
God that one made me feel old as shit. That dude was operating an offense against Michigan like a hot knife thru butter like two years ago and now this. Holy fuck. A dude I’m fifteen years older than not only accomplished all that but he died before me. Life is fucked.

I am sorry for your loss. Please don't feel bad about your own lack of accomplishments, you have counted way higher than he ever did. And Dwayne is in heaven, for sure.

« Reply #8696 on: April 11, 2022, 08:56:57 am »
And Dwayne is in heaven, for sure.
OK and unicorns now have fairy wings.
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #8697 on: April 11, 2022, 12:25:00 pm »

I am sorry for your loss. Please don't feel bad about your own lack of accomplishments, you have counted way higher than he ever did. And Dwayne is in heaven, for sure.

early contender for POTW, and it's only monday morning.
<sig>

« Reply #8698 on: April 12, 2022, 01:30:54 pm »

Nick Cave learning from the master….Chris Bailey
"Dear Dan,
One week ago today, I was standing in front of a photo on display in the Stranger Than Kindness - The Nick Cave Exhibition in Montreal. It is an extraordinary photo that came to light a few years ago — it shows the singer, Chris Bailey, of the Brisbane band, the Saints, sitting collapsed on stage in a small club in Melbourne, watched by a very young and unformed Nick Cave. In the photo Chris is already committed to his life as perhaps the greatest and most anarchic rock ‘n’ roll singer Australia would ever produce. Conversely, I am in that stonewashed and uncertain state between failing art school and, well, I am not quite sure what. You can almost see the thought bubble forming above my head as an alternate plan presents itself.
In the late seventies, the Saints came down from Brisbane and tore their way through Sydney and Melbourne with their famously anarchic shows. It is impossible to exaggerate the resulting radical galvanising effect on the Melbourne scene – these legendary performances changed the lives of so many people, myself included.
So, it is with immense sadness that we learn of Chris Bailey’s death. Too many great singers have died recently and, once again, I don’t have the words that will in any way adequately measure the extent of our collective loss. I can only simply repeat, for the record, that, in my opinion, the Saints were Australia’s greatest band, and that Chris Bailey was my favourite singer.
Chris and I got to know each other well and went on to do a bunch of things together over the years, but it is this photo that I will treasure – a moment of realisation and divergence, as a drunk singer sits slumped on a stage floor, his very presence in that moment approximating some kind of moral purity or essential truth, and a young man watching transfixed, feeling his own best laid plans fall away as the thought bubble above his head fills with its sudden and outrageous revelation, ‘This is what I want to do and this is who I want to be.’
With enormous gratitude to Chris Bailey and may he rest in peace.
Love, Nick Cave
slack

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #8699 on: April 12, 2022, 03:31:59 pm »
😐 🎶