Author Topic: Dropping Like Flies  (Read 2600633 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: Dropping Like Flies
« Reply #9630 on: May 19, 2023, 07:29:02 am »
Fuck cancer

absolutely

and it's hard to believe he was only 59  :'(

it's also sinking in he was in his late teens when the Smiths were recording and creating those amazing basslines.

this showed up on the twitter it's a live demo that he Johnny and Simon Wolstencroft recorded when he was 17!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s-vZtJ3SV8

Simon was an early incarnation of the Stone Roses called Patrol and was the drummer Morrissey wanted to be in The Smiths, but he declined. Best know for being in The Fall

bass twitter is showing it's appreciation of the bass break in "Barbarism Begins At Home" seen here

https://twitter.com/Tim_Burgess/status/1659468301016211457?s=20

T.Rex

Hutch

« Reply #9631 on: May 19, 2023, 07:30:45 am »
Oh no.

Terrible news to wake up to…

« Reply #9632 on: May 19, 2023, 10:03:50 am »
Andy Rourke
Johnny Marr's (FB post)

Andy Rourke RIP.
Andy and I met as schoolboys in 1975. We were best friends, going everywhere together. When we were fifteen I moved into his house with him and his three brothers and I soon came to realise that my mate was one of those rare people that absolutely no one doesn’t like.
Andy and I spent all our time studying music, having fun, and working on becoming the best musicians we could possibly be. Back then Andy was a guitar player and a good one at that, but it was when he picked up the bass that he would find his true calling and his singular talent would flourish.
Throughout our teens we played in various bands around South Manchester before making our reputations with The Smiths from 1982 to 1987, and it was on those Smiths records that Andy reinvented what it is to be a bass guitar player.
I was present at every one of Andy’s bass takes on every Smiths session. Sometimes I was there as the producer and sometimes just as his proud mate and cheerleader. Watching him play those dazzling baselines was an absolute privilege and genuinely something to behold. But one time which always comes to mind was when I sat next to him at the mixing desk watching him play his bass on the song The Queen Is Dead. It was so impressive that I said to myself ‘I’ll never forget this moment.’
We maintained our friendship over the years, no matter where we were or what was happening and it is a matter of personal pride as well as sadness that the last time Andy played on stage was with me and my band at Maddison Square Garden in September 2022.
It was a special moment that we shared with my family and his wife and soul mate Francesca.
Andy will always be remembered, as a kind and beautiful soul by everyone who knew him, and as a supremely gifted musician by people who love music.
Well done Andy. We’ll miss you brother.
Johnny x
slack

Hutch

« Reply #9633 on: May 19, 2023, 10:41:13 am »
I liked Morrissey’s words…am sure people will find hate for them

Weird how I had just been listening to the Queen is dead Wednesday night. I play it rarely. Pure brilliance.

Stuart Murdoch had nice words and called them the greatest band of all time. I like a lot of bands but the Smiths really were just about perfect 1983-1987. I always said Belle and Sebastian got the closest 1996-2000 and had a similar aesthetic and approach.

Bagley

« Reply #9634 on: May 19, 2023, 03:38:33 pm »
Jim Brown

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #9635 on: May 19, 2023, 04:44:55 pm »
Jim Brown

At least we still have taupe.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #9636 on: May 20, 2023, 12:02:35 am »
LVMH

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #9637 on: May 20, 2023, 04:20:51 pm »
😐 🎶

« Reply #9638 on: May 21, 2023, 04:00:14 am »
Rick Dalton Is Dead, Quentin Tarantino Says
slack

bearman🐻

« Reply #9640 on: May 23, 2023, 09:53:14 am »
Algy Ward from the Damned. Performed on Machine Gun Etiquette. Wish he had done more with the band...that bassline on "Love Song" is pure genius.

bearman🐻

« Reply #9641 on: May 23, 2023, 10:11:26 am »
Andy Rourke

Really having a tough time with this one. Never met the guy. I shouldn't feel that sense of loss that I've lost a friend, but I think the impact of the Smiths for me at such a young age was profound because I was confused, figuring myself out, and the Smiths made it perfectly OK to be the weirdo who didn't listen to heavy metal or whatever pop schlock was popular that week. Nobody can dispute the genius of Johnny Marr. Andy made his own playing the ingredient in the Smiths that somehow was the thing that you constantly heard, but maybe didn't identify right away. No other bass player could bring such a groove to a bummer like "How Soon is Now?" and make it feel like it should be played for the dance floor. There was elegance in "the Boy With the Thorn in His Side", the early versions of "These Things Take Time", "You've Got Everything Now", and of course "Handsome Devil" are downright propulsive. "William, It Was Really Nothing"...I bet if you were to isolate the bass, you'd have a banger that you could dance to all on its own. Marr's playing was like stitching that often enveloped the song so it was tight, but Andy's bass could be so substantial but taken for granted for how perfectly-placed it was. Regardless of what the Smiths' legacy is now, I think what's key is how in an extremely short amount of time they crafted some of the best songs I've ever heard. Andy's contribution was essential, and it still saddens me that he left at such a young age. I suppose his loss reminds me of a pivotal time in my life where I developed the maturity to be my own self...to figure out how to leave behind the idea of what I am supposed to be and realize what I am...weirdo, geek, and different, and know that it's all a very good thing. Great music can do that. And Andy was a great musician.

Hutch

« Reply #9642 on: May 23, 2023, 10:27:03 am »
Wow…way to cancel Moz

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #9643 on: May 23, 2023, 10:40:42 am »
Algy Ward from the Damned. Performed on Machine Gun Etiquette. Wish he had done more with the band...that bassline on "Love Song" is pure genius.

I was going to mention this one yesterday, but I lazily wikiepdiaed him and it placed him in The Damned for a year so I figured he was just one of many bassists in the group, didn't realize the impact he had for that one record.  He was also briefly in The Saints on their second and third albums, 78-80.

Post Damned he was in a Heavy Metal group called Tank, which I'm going to check out.  A group which eventually split in two versions
T.Rex

bearman🐻

« Reply #9644 on: May 23, 2023, 04:18:10 pm »
Wow…way to cancel Moz

LOL. I still think he's a brilliant lyricist. Not sure I'm going to go see him perform anymore, but his eulogy to Andy was spot on. And I forgot to mention Mike Joyce...another amazing and underrated drummer.