Author Topic: Dropping Like Flies  (Read 2600941 times)

Space Freely

Re: Dropping Like Flies
« Reply #9735 on: July 26, 2023, 02:54:02 pm »
I have shaved my head at least a half dozen times in my adult life.

vansmack

« Reply #9736 on: July 26, 2023, 07:25:12 pm »
"Mandinka"

Probably my favorite song by her.  The Jake's remix in particular of the Emperor's New Clothes single was a party staple for me....
27>34

« Reply #9737 on: July 26, 2023, 09:29:36 pm »
"Mandinka"

Probably my favorite song by her.  The Jake's remix in particular of the Emperor's New Clothes single was a party staple for me....
mine as well,
 I didn't even know about the remix stuff (was not a huge sinade fan)
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #9738 on: July 27, 2023, 08:59:46 am »
"Mandinka"

mine as well,
 I didn't even know about the remix stuff (was not a huge sinade fan)

Smackie are referring the Hank Shocklee remix of "Emperor's New Clothes", because that's a bumpin track. https://youtu.be/2aaIF-KDg2Q

The Jakes remix of Mandika is ok, very much a cutup style as was in use at the time.

I'm getting up to speed on Sinead's support of hip hop at the time.  She was one of the first to feature a guest rapper on a track. MC Lyte on the 12" release for I Want Your (Hands On Me), they even include her on the cover art with Sinead which was unheard of at the time.

Both the Dance and Street mix on this are great

https://youtu.be/ujDxGbzF7LM
https://youtu.be/MKDWnSU1a6I

There was her support of Public Enemy over their Grammy snub at the time, even the shaving of their logo into her hair for both the Grammy and a Glastonbury appearances. Clearly not forgotten by either Chuck or Flav who posted remembrances yesterday.

And since I really went down the Sinead remix rabbit hole, there is very obvious "How Soon Is Now" sample on this one

I Am Stretched On Your Grave (Night Until Morning Dub / Earthapella) - https://youtu.be/pUAeMIFoeRI
T.Rex

Hutch

« Reply #9739 on: July 27, 2023, 09:04:40 am »
She did a great cover of Bob Dylan’s I believe in you. I think it was a b side on a universal mother single

vansmack

« Reply #9740 on: July 27, 2023, 02:30:09 pm »

Smackie are referring the Hank Shocklee remix of "Emperor's New Clothes", because that's a bumpin track. https://youtu.be/2aaIF-KDg2Q

No, but they are on the same CD single.. And I agree that the Mandinka single is very reminiscent of 1990, but that's when I was playing parties.

My friend Joe Nelson (who rescued a ton of OC punk music and has been releasing them) summed up most of my thoughts on Sinead:

---------------
When the music biz tried to groom her as a “cute” pop star at the BEGINNING of her career she shaved her head.

When the Grammys tried to give her some award she used the platform to blast them for at the time excluding rap as a legit form of music.

When Saturday Night Live had her on she used the space to protest the Catholic Church, accusing them of child abuse and rape - a full 8 years before that shit was all shown to be true.

When some venue demanded she play the American National Anthem before her set, she refused to go on, pretty much destroying her career in the States as all the righties in our fair land “cancel cultured” her.

A true rebel if ever there was one. R.I.P. legend!
------------------

There's even a story on that thread about her playing Bob Dylans's 50th birthday, getting loudly booed and instead of doing the Dylan song she was scheduled to do, she recited the lyrics to War by Bob Marley.  So good.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 02:45:58 pm by vansmack »
27>34

Mobius

« Reply #9741 on: July 27, 2023, 05:43:17 pm »
This was the 30th Anniversary show for Bob Frickin’ Dylan the great protest singer of his generation and she got booed off the stage for protesting serial institutional child sexual abuse?? Absolutely pathetic and the ultimate OK boomer moment.

The SNL appearance was incredible performance art. She drew you in, cast a spell, hypnotized you so the simple act of tearing a photograph felt like murder. Demonstrated her power, unfortunately it was too effective. And like someone said, you don’t want to be right too soon.

I Do No Want What I Have Not Got was a phenomenon.  Artistically pure yet still super commercial. The first great album of the 90s and she totally set the tone of the 90s. 

« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 06:04:36 pm by Mobius »

Space Freely

« Reply #9742 on: July 27, 2023, 08:58:18 pm »
Randy Meissner of the Eagles.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #9743 on: July 27, 2023, 09:11:52 pm »
Bill Cunningham, original voice of Ken doll, dies at 96

Cue tin foil hat crowd claiming seeing the movie did him in
T.Rex

Space Freely

« Reply #9744 on: July 28, 2023, 02:19:24 pm »
Neal Langford, original bassist for the Shins

https://consequence.net/2023/07/neal-langford-the-shins-dead/

« Reply #9745 on: July 28, 2023, 02:35:11 pm »
I’m going to kill myself
Not if I do it first!

Roy McGrath, the disgraced ex-top aide to former Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan, died after he was shot in the head both by himself and an FBI agent, Knoxville prosecutors said.
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #9747 on: July 28, 2023, 10:10:52 pm »
Beatle Bob

Bummer, als is a brutal way to go
slack

« Reply #9748 on: July 30, 2023, 07:09:03 am »
This was the 30th Anniversary show for Bob Frickin’ Dylan the great protest singer of his generation and she got booed off the stage for protesting serial institutional child sexual abuse?? Absolutely pathetic and the ultimate OK boomer moment.

The SNL appearance was incredible performance art. She drew you in, cast a spell, hypnotized you so the simple act of tearing a photograph felt like murder. Demonstrated her power, unfortunately it was too effective. And like someone said, you don’t want to be right too soon.

I Do No Want What I Have Not Got was a phenomenon.  Artistically pure yet still super commercial. The first great album of the 90s and she totally set the tone of the 90s.

Wow!
just read this birthday letter she wrote to Bob in 2011 as an opp Ed…I’m literally floored.  Amazing.
Few in this planet of billions of people can really be considered unique, but there really only was one Sinead

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/post_b_866068
« Last Edit: July 30, 2023, 07:13:35 am by SideH@tchıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Bagley

« Reply #9749 on: July 31, 2023, 02:37:07 pm »
Pee Wee Herman to the great playhouse in the sky :(