Author Topic: The Hip-Hop Thread  (Read 4251 times)

HoyaSaxa03

The Hip-Hop Thread
« on: October 24, 2007, 12:53:00 pm »
We can take this off the just announced thread ...

"express yourself" by NWA just came on my iPod, and I had really forgotten how insightful and melodic NWA could be at times, sounds just like a de la soul b-side
(o|o)

vansmack

Re: The Hip-Hop Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 12:54:00 pm »
Originally posted by Hoya Paranoia:
  "express yourself" by NWA just came on my iPod, and I had really forgotten how insightful and melodic NWA could be at times, sounds just like a de la soul b-side
All Dre.  An insight of great things to come...
27>34

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 01:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

All Dre.  An insight of great things to come... [/b]
totally, but i can't think of another Dre track that sounds like this one (organic flower-power vibe) ... if anything he got harder and more severe in both his lyrics and production immediately after NWA

and to continue the biggie discussion, "warning" is pretty much perfect ... he's got the whole laconic stoned en-unci-at-ing vibe down to a T (**puts on ready to die**):

They heard about the Rolex's and the Lexus
 wit the Texas license plate outta state
 they heard about the pounds
 you got down in Georgetown
 now they heard you got half of Virginia locked down
 they even heard about the crib
 you bought your moms out in Florida
 the fifth corridor....
 Call the coroner
 there's gonna be alot of slow singin
 and flower bringin
 if my burgular alarm starts ringin
 whatcha think all the guns is for?
 all purpose war got the rottweilers by the door
 and I feed em gun powder so they can devour
 the criminals tryin to clock my decimals
 DAMN..niggas wanna stick my for my C.R.E.A.M.
 and the inner dream things aint always how it seems
 it's the ones that smoke blunts witcha
 see your picture, now they wanna
 grab they guns and come and getcha
 Bethca Biggie won't slip
 I got the....??
 so I can rip through the intricate
 put they bodies in a bad prediciment
 where all the foul niggas went
 Touch my cheddar, feel my Beretta
 Buck with what I had you with
 you motherfuckers betta duck
 I leave stains on blood of what remains
 Had to jack-it, he had a gun he should've packed it
 Cocked it, extra clips in my pocket
 so I can reload and explode down ya rasshole
 I fuck around and get hardcore
 see 4 to ya door no beef no more
 feel the rush scandalous
 The more weed smoke I puff the more dangerous
 I dont give a fuck about you or your weak crew
 What you gonna do when Big Poppa comes for you
 Start runnin, nigga I bust my gun in
 Hold on I hear somebody comin........
(o|o)

BookerT

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 01:02:00 pm »

They heard about the Rolex's and the Lexus
 wit the Texas license plate outta state
 they heard about the pounds
 you got down in Georgetown
 now they heard you got half of Virginia locked down

that part almost reads like it could be lyrics by the hold steady, doesn't it?

edbert

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 01:03:00 pm »
I think Hip Hop sounds cool in Japanese, even though I don't speak it. I only have a couple of tracks so far but am looking for more "j-urban"

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 01:04:00 pm »
Originally posted by BookerT:
  that part almost reads like it could be lyrics by the hold steady, doesn't it?
craig finn definitely reminds me of a rapper, just different format
(o|o)

TheDirector217

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 01:05:00 pm »
  We can take this off the just announced thread ...

Love this.  Been wanting to start a thread like this ever since I got here.  Didn't know how high the interest would be, with the jaded hipsters & what not . . .

Anywho, to echo Hoya, N.W.A.'s 1st album was some really political shit.  "Fuck Tha Police" wasn't for shock value.  That was some great shit.  Then the "Efil4zaggiN" just went over the top.  But the beats Dre put on there were so undeniable, that it didn't matter.  

Anyone actually remember when the gap between Dre & DJ Premier was non-existent/real close for G.O.A.T. producer???

Another good point brought up was what's the greatest Wu album ever???  Give opinions (or if you see it as fact, cool)/insight & why . . .

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 01:06:00 pm »
Respect is collected, so check it
 I got techniques drippin out my buttcheeks
 Sleep on my stomach so I don't fuck up my sheets
(o|o)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 01:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by TheDirector217:
 Another good point brought up was what's the greatest Wu album ever???  Give opinions (or if you see it as fact, cool)/insight & why . . .
i don't have time to pontificate, but "liquid swords" is obviously wu's apex ("when I was little my father was famous / he was the greatest samurai in the empire") ... cuban linx is 2nd

and i think this discussion has to be limited to pre-97 albums, no way anything after their hey-dey is "the greatest"
(o|o)

nkotb

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 01:12:00 pm »
I can't speak for the solo projects (thought Liquid Swords and Raekwn's first are KILLERS), but for full Wu, I can't believe anyone would mention anything other than 36 Chambers.  I like all of the rest, but I dont' think any are as perfect from start to finish.

BookerT

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 01:12:00 pm »

Another good point brought up was what's the greatest Wu album ever???  Give opinions (or if you see it as fact, cool)/insight & why . . . [/b]
if it's actual wu albums i don't know how anyone can say it's not 36 chambers. but i assume you're talking all the solo shit as well. i know "liquid swords" and "supreme clientele" get the most love, but i've always been in the corner of "only built 4 cuban linx." "criminology" is probably my fave wu-related track.

TheDirector217

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 01:17:00 pm »
  there's gonna be alot of slow singin
 and flower bringin
 if my burgular alarm starts ringin

One of the most perfect lines ever.  Pac could never spit some shit like that.  

That may be a bit of a stretch.  The backbone of what Dre did has always been the funk.  Even today, there's still traces of it which manifests itself in the form of that whole speaker bump/piano vibe he's been on since the 2001 LP.  That sample from "Express Yourself" (Charles Wright & the Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band) is a Cali classic which Dre probably grew up on, along with those Parliament records which became the backbone for The Chronic.

Whereas, De La & more so Tribe, revolutionized hip-hop reaching waaaaaay in the crates to find Hall & Oates samples ("Say No Go"), Lou Reed samples ("Can I Kick It?"), and so on.  I was heavy into the Native Tongues (Tribe's my favorite group of all-time) so I can go on about that all day.

TheDirector217

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 01:20:00 pm »
Originally posted by BookerT:

Another good point brought up was what's the greatest Wu album ever???  Give opinions (or if you see it as fact, cool)/insight & why . . . [/b]
if it's actual wu albums i don't know how anyone can say it's not 36 chambers. but i assume you're talking all the solo shit as well. i know "liquid swords" and "supreme clientele" get the most love, but i've always been in the corner of "only built 4 cuban linx." "criminology" is probably my fave wu-related track. [/b]
You ain't the only one.  Cuban seems to get the slight edge with people I know.  I already cast my rod for Liquid Swords, but I can't argue.  I've seen actual fistfights break out over that shit.  It's like the Midnight Marauders vs. Low End Theory argument.  Don't think I've ever seen a winner.  We'll save that for another day.

TheDirector217

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 01:23:00 pm »
 and i think this discussion has to be limited to pre-97 albums, no way anything after their hey-dey is "the greatest"
What about Supreme Clientele?  If it ain't perfect, it's no worse than real damn close.  I could see someone creating an argument for that.  But everyone's entries are valid points . . .

TheREALHunter

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007, 01:25:00 pm »
I say the Bomb Squad about killed everyone back in that era production-wise, when they were first breaking out crazy innovative stuff, Dre was still making lame shit like "Horney Computer".  As far as N.W.A. goes, the first 3 songs off of Straight Outta Compton are crucial and the rest is pretty ho-hum in comparison (not saying it's terrible mind you but NOT on the consistency level of those first 3 tracks).