Author Topic: Is Rhett the DCeiver?  (Read 2800 times)

redsock

Is Rhett the DCeiver?
« on: November 12, 2004, 03:57:00 pm »
http://www.dceiver.blogspot.com

Rhett seriously, is this you? All that bile and hate...gotta be.

Re: Is Rhett the DCeiver?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 04:12:00 pm »
Sorry, not me. I waste too much work time on two chatboards already. Away from work, I hardly ever go near a computer these days.

fabluece

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 04:33:00 pm »
Bile?  Hate?  I have nothing but the applesauce of human kindness in my heart.  

LOVE-TheDCeiver

ggw

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 04:38:00 pm »
I thought we determined that Rhett was this guy?

redsock

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 04:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  I thought we determined that Rhett was this guy?
Good point...spewing bile and hate at things
 un-music related as well.

ggw

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 04:48:00 pm »
Not to defend Mr. DC-eiver, but you have to admit he does make one good point.

Many of your writers are doing reviews of their favorite bands.

Pollard - GBV
 Grotty - DBT, Twilight Singers
 Thirsty - TV on the Radio
 NKOTB - The Apes
 Sonickteam - Muse

Wouldn't it be better to give these reviews to people who aren't predisposed to like the album?

boweswana

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004, 04:51:00 pm »
I dunno about all that, today there was positive stuff about full minute of mercury and art-o-matic and I'm pretty sure the Deceiver is on the record as an Exit Clov fan.  Just saying...

redsock

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2004, 05:04:00 pm »
  Not to defend Mr. DC-eiver, but you have to admit he does make one good point.

Many of your writers are doing reviews of their favorite bands.

Pollard - GBV
 Grotty - DBT, Twilight Singers
 Thirsty - TV on the Radio
 NKOTB - The Apes
 Sonickteam - Muse

Wouldn't it be better to give these reviews to people who aren't predisposed to like the album?
It's interesting, no one wants to read an Old 97's review by someone who doesn't listen to or like alt-country, but at the same time, no one wants to read a review by someone who is a fan of the band. So who should write the review? This is an honest question...

I feel it is more important to be knowledgeable, and if that means they are a fan, so be it. I'm sure Pollard thinks some GBV albums are pretty sub-par. I had no idea at the time Thirsty liked TV on the Radio. This is a VERY time consuming game. When you have a staff as large as us, which we have in order to cover the volume of Cds we like to include, it is virtually impossible to be completely sure about folk's likes and dislikes.

We are less than one year old... and are still growing and learning. When one of you takes the time and money out of your life to run a site like this, let's talk. Until then, by all means criticize or praise us, I don't give a fuck. But don't for a second think you know any better than us.

I have felt there are some valid points about BY hidden in some of these blogs, but if you really want to be helpful, why not just write us a note? Or ask us why we do certain things. I personally prefer that over semi-anonymous blogging or chatboards. But I guess then you lose all the sensationalism... no fun there right?

thirsty moore

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2004, 05:13:00 pm »
Here's one for ya.  I hadn't heard TV on the Radio until I reviewed it.  Then they became a favorite of mine.

boweswana

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2004, 05:14:00 pm »
But in a way they're (at least the Deceiver from what I read) pretty much critiquing your site just like your reviewers are critiquing records.  No?  Would you send a private email or phone call to an artist who you thought put out a crappy record or give it a review and post up your thoughts?  Not saying you shouldn't get pissed at the negative stuff, that's only human, but I think that's part of the game just like making music when you engage in a public endeavor.

If you think I'm totally off-base here that's cool, would like to hear your opinion.

ggw

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2004, 05:14:00 pm »
Originally posted by redsock:
 It's interesting, no one wants to read an Old 97's review by someone who doesn't listen to or like alt-country, but at the same time, no one wants to read a review by someone who is a fan of the band. So who should write the review? This is an honest question...

I would trust an Old-97s review written by Pollard, Grotty, NKOTB or Thirsty over one written by Rhett any day of the week.  I think all those guys are knowledgable about a broad range of music and would give a balanced opinion.

The GBV album may be very good, but I also know that a guy who refers to himself as "Pollard" on an internet message board may not provide the most objective opinion on that album.

Originally posted by redsock:
 We are less than one year old... and are still growing and learning. When one of you takes the time and money out of your life to run a site like this, let's talk. Until then, by all means criticize or praise us, I don't give a fuck. But don't for a second think you know any better than us.
OK.

Never mind.

Carry on.

nkotb

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2004, 05:16:00 pm »
Exactly why I turned down reviewing the latest New Kids disc.

The GBV album may be very good, but I also know that a guy who refers to himself as "Pollard" on an internet message board may not provide the most objective opinion on that album.

thirsty moore

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2004, 05:17:00 pm »
Critiquing the critics!  DCeiver's the muthaf'n watchdog of the dawgs....

Originally posted by the Pharmacist:
  But in a way they're (at least the Deceiver from what I read) pretty much critiquing your site just like your reviewers are critiquing records.  No?

fabluece

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2004, 05:19:00 pm »
Yawnie, by all means, grow, learn.  Have a review staff twice the size of the Pazz and Jop poll.  Start the People's Republic of Big Yawn.  Be the site every two bit with a vibrophone and a dream can get a good review on.  Whatever you want.

But as far as "don't think for a minute that I know better"--it doesn't take me that long a period of thinking to know I know better.  

anyway, total hearts and lovemaking be yours, just be sure to remind us that U2 has a new album coming out, because, you know, a rock could fall on our head and we could forget--TheDCeiver

ggw

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2004, 05:19:00 pm »
Originally posted by econo:
  Here's one for ya.  I hadn't heard TV on the Radio until I reviewed it.  Then they became a favorite of mine.
If so, then I apologize for including you on my "most wanted" list.

I recall you talking them up pretty early in the game and didn't think the reviews appeared until later.