Author Topic: The Wrens Roll Call  (Read 3546 times)

igor

Re: The Wrens Roll Call
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2003, 04:15:00 pm »
i'll be there. i really like meadowlands a lot.

ratioci nation

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2003, 04:16:00 pm »
I shall be there, missing the mighty Overkill Creek to do so, the meadowlands truly is a great album and what I have heard of them live makes me think this will be a great show.

nkotb

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2003, 04:27:00 pm »
I'm out for the DC show, but I may be catching them tomorrow in NYC.  Haven't quite decided yet, since I'm painfully broke right now.

Jaguär

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2003, 08:48:00 pm »
I'll be there. I love The Meadowlands!

I think this will be another packed in the Backstage night.

+/- aren't bad either.

Jaguär

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2003, 05:59:00 pm »
Okay, last call for tonight's show with The Wrens.

Anyone else?

If you are on the fence, I highly advice that you not miss this show. Get there early enough too to see +/-, another good band.

thirsty moore

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2003, 06:15:00 pm »
I'll be at this one.

Chip Chanko

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2003, 06:52:00 pm »
of course!

paige

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2003, 07:11:00 pm »
love them both (both are played on xm 43  :(

Jaguär

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2003, 07:59:00 pm »
Aw, Paige! Can't you get in on an industry guest list or something? It's only $7.

paige

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2003, 09:14:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguär:
  Aw, Paige! Can't you get in on an industry guest list or something? It's only $7.
i wish!! actually, this cold weather is making me wish i had bought a nice warm coat or two.. i don't think i can unfold my shivering body and brave the cold! so pretend im' there in spirit.. as always.   ;)

ratioci nation

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2003, 02:05:00 am »
One of the best shows of the year, if they had a little better sound, especially with the vocals on a couple of songs it would have been one of the best shows I have ever seen.

+/- were pretty good for the first 3 or 4 songs, then went mediocre.

Jaguär

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2003, 04:10:00 am »
Fantastic show!!!! I knew from The Meadowlands album that they were a bunch of songbirds but what I didn't know is that.....they fucking rock their feathers off!!!!! Anyone who wasn't there missed a great show.

They are also very nice, appreciative, and funny guys. Hope to see them back in the area soon. The Backstage was packed and everyone of the people in the crowd were loving them.

Pollard was right on too about +/-. They are very good until they get lost in their more aharmonious songs. Sadly, they took a wrong turn after their very best song and it was downhill from there.

ggw

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2003, 10:44:00 am »
I concur.  The Wrens wrocked the hizzouse.

It was nice to see how they translated all the idiosyncracies of their albums into a live setting.  Great energy and they seemed genuinely happy to be playing in front of a live audience.  Hope they come down again soon.

Bags

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2003, 10:50:00 am »
Great show -- what a night for me.  I missed +/- because I was at the Duran Duran show at the Warner, which was just awesome.  All the retro cheese you can imagine, and those songs are still as fun as ever -- say what you will, boardie hipsters.   ;)   Sorry, John Taylor is still the hottest guy playing an instrument (while Simon is verging on self-parody with the "sexy" hip thrusts!).

Then we got to see the whole Wrens show, and it was great -- once I finally got up on the bench and could see!  Those guys were thrilled to have so many folks come out on a sunday night.  And I did what I could to make sure they knew how happy the crowd was as well -- my bench dancing even got me a big pointer from the manic bassist/keyboardest/song stylist during the encore!  So glad I was on the West Coast half the week and hence all full of energy for two shows last night.

Whew.