Author Topic: GBV Roll Call  (Read 7708 times)

sauerkraut

Re: GBV Roll Call
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2003, 02:43:00 pm »
I'll be there, and now probably less than enthused.

Jaguär

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2003, 03:33:00 pm »
I hope that all of my pretentious indie asshole friends have a great time tonight.     ;)    

While the heats off, try boiling lots of big pots of water. It really does help to take the chill off. You can even take a pot or two into another room and let it sit and it will cut the frost at least. Also, do some baking. Once finished, let the oven door stay open for awhile. Just DO NOT operater the stove or oven without cooking or you'll overheat the thing and have more trouble than you know what to do with.

Stay warm, ya'll!

sonickteam2

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2003, 03:42:00 pm »
even a gas stove?

my gf wants to sleep on the kitchen floor in front of the oven door, while its on , all night.

i cant think of anything more crazy really.

Jaguär

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2003, 04:06:00 pm »
Even a gas stove. You don't want to gas yourself to death.

Start celebrating Thanksgiving early and put a turkey in the oven on a very low heat all night. Just make sure it's loaded with liquids and covered in foil so it doesn't burn up.

PR_GMR

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2003, 04:38:00 pm »
posted by Venerable Bede

b) don't have tomorrow off, even though the government is closed.
Damn, I had no idea I was off tommorrow! In that case, I can make the GBV show tonight... assuming tickets are still available?   :cool:

sonickteam2

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2003, 04:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by PR_GMR:
 assuming tickets are still available?  
PLEASE!!!!

PR_GMR

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2003, 04:45:00 pm »
Yes, I just stopped by the Ticketmaster site--there are tickets still available! $16.00 a pop (at the door, more like $23.00+ if you buy through ticketmaster) I'll just pick up a ticket at the door tonight.   :cool:

ratioci nation

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2003, 04:46:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:

Originally posted by PR_GMR:
 assuming tickets are still available?  
PLEASE!!!! [/b]
why don't you just motor away   :D

stu47

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2003, 12:44:00 am »
nice to see bob was his usual sober self tonight

markie

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2003, 01:14:00 am »
all done and you are home by 11.44?

stu47

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2003, 01:30:00 am »
a.. i live right up the road from the recher, and b, I cut out early cause I have to be up and going at 5 tommorow (yeah, I wimped out  :(  )

it was my first GBV show, and somehow, as rob got drunker, I was getting less and less impressed ( I know, probably heresy) First hour plus was solid, great cover of get back thrown in (according to mr. pollard, as a show of their professionalism), and then.....I dont know...maybe it was just me lol

thought the oranges band opening set was great btw

markie

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2003, 02:00:00 am »
Originally posted by stu47:
 .I dont know...maybe it was just me lol

thought the oranges band opening set was great btw
Well there were a couple of regular board members going. I think they have seen GBV 10 times this year alone. I am relieved for them it was not all done by 11.30.

Personally I find it hard to see what all the fuss is about. I guess its like religion. Either you have seen the light or you like GBV, oh wait that is not right....... AGGGGGHHHH

I have seen the oranges band a couple of times one time they were good, one time they were not. I like their catchy pseudo hit.

Thanks for sharing, nightie night.

ratioci nation

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2003, 02:43:00 am »
That was a great show, best of the 5 times I have seen them, and I was completely sober so my opinion was not swayed by alcohol.  Bob and Nate were pretty drunk but they still performed great and they are pretty funny when they get that drunk.  The 2 encores were fantastic.  And as Bob commented, they were digging deep in to their catalog.  They may not have played as many of the usual standards, but they added some great songs to the setlist for this tour that they have not played in a while.  Liar's Tale and Hey Aardvark were particularly good.  And the second encore was not on the setlist, they don't always do two encores, so they seemed to be enjoying it.  

And his comments on professionalism were not that they could play get back, he was saying, in his normal joking way, that the spotaneity was professional.  They had just finished playing Back to the Lake which includes the words "get back" and he said, lets play get back.  It was really fantastic, he has a real talent for covering Beatles and Who songs.

It is weird that the 2 times I have seen them at Recher I end up standing next to the only person that gets thrown out.  The guy who was next to me for most of the show (no Markie, it was not lefty) was so drunk that his eyes seemed to roll back in his head as he flailed around.  When he finally managed to accidentally toss his beer bottle on stage he was booted, to the relief of all around him.

Bags

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2003, 12:34:00 pm »
I haven't seen the Oranges Band yet, and I really wanted to go, but I type this from work -- just couldn't make it a late night.

Glad it was a good show for all who went.  Damn it's unfair that they count that Live on Penn show as a DC date!!??!!

ratioci nation

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2003, 12:41:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bagster:
  I haven't seen the Oranges Band yet, and I really wanted to go, but I type this from work -- just couldn't make it a late night.

Glad it was a good show for all who went.  Damn it's unfair that they count that Live on Penn show as a DC date!!??!!
I don't know if the Oranges Band always do this (probably do) because I left before the end of the show the only other time I saw them.  But they finished the show by handing out their guitars to the crowd and telling them which chord to play to repeatedly to finish the show.  They just sat and watched as three crowd members and the drummer played.  It was cool and they sounded very good last night, I also like their album.