Author Topic: Possible sell outs  (Read 8194 times)

mankie

Re: Possible sell outs
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2004, 12:19:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rutherford J. Balls:
  Bottom line is if you really want to see a show, buy the tickets in advance. Why do we even have to have threads like this?
I will never buy a ticket in advance for a 930 show again after the Belle & Sebastian fiasco.

With that in mind, this thread makes perfect sense to me.

nkotb

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2004, 12:21:00 pm »
Personally, I think the topic of selling out (not tickets) has been beating into the ground.  At least discussing which shows could potentially selling out would 1) be useful to some, and 2) interesting, just in the fact that new shows are announced all the time.

Has anything new ever been said about a band selling out (again, not tickets) in the past 10 years?

Originally posted by chimblysweep:
  At first I thought this thread was going to be about bands that would sell out... you know, like Modest Mouse and "Gravity Rides Everything" in that Mazda commercial?  Or like the riff from Ted Leo's "Where have all the rude boys gone" being used as an intro to MTV's TRL?  That would have been a far better thread.

Sir HC

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2004, 12:24:00 pm »
Originally posted by nkotbie:
  Personally, I think the topic of selling out (not tickets) has been beating into the ground.  At least discussing which shows could potentially selling out would 1) be useful to some, and 2) interesting, just in the fact that new shows are announced all the time.

Has anything new ever been said about a band selling out (again, not tickets) in the past 10 years?

At first I thought this thread was going to be about bands that would sell out... you know, like Modest Mouse and "Gravity Rides Everything" in that Mazda commercial?  Or like the riff from Ted Leo's "Where have all the rude boys gone" being used as an intro to MTV's TRL?  That would have been a far better thread.
[/b]
What about bands that "unsellout".  You know cash in, then try to regain their independence and street cred.  That is what I find interesting, getting their cake and eating it too.

Can't think of any great examples off hand.

Sir HC

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2004, 12:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by nkotbie:

[/b]
What about bands that "unsellout".  You know cash in, then try to regain their independence and street cred.  That is what I find interesting, getting their cake and eating it too.

nkotb

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2004, 12:30:00 pm »
That is a little more interesting, to see how a band can get back any lost cred (which, as I can't state enough, I find to be ridiculous).  I'd say, if you're a hard ass and considering going to a major label as selling out, then the Dismemberment Plan are a one example.  True, their signing to Interscope only produced one EP before they were booted back to DeSoto.

Originally posted by Sir HC:

mankie

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2004, 12:30:00 pm »
There seems to be an echo in here!

sonickteam2

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2004, 12:54:00 pm »
  Bottom line is if you really want to see a show, buy the tickets in advance. Why do we even have to have threads like this?
well, i live in Baltimore and its not very convenient for me to get tickets, w/o paying a large service charge.  I will be in DC on Saturday, now, if i wanted to go see DCFC, and i waited til then, i would be too late, but if i knew it was close to selling out, than i may make a special trip or buy em online or something.
    are you aware that other people are on this board, its not just for you.

sonickteam2

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2004, 12:57:00 pm »
Death Cab for Cutie is next on the sell out list.  The hipsters will hate them by 2005.  :)

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2004, 01:17:00 pm »
Well how the fuck does anybody know what is going to sell out and what is not? It's all just opinion, unless someone from the clubs gets on here and gives an answer.

Would anybody have predicted DCFC would sell out the 9:30 Club a month in advance after selling out the Cat only a FEW days in advance?

Originally posted by sonickteam2:

well, i live in Baltimore and its not very convenient for me to get tickets, w/o paying a large service charge.  I will be in DC on Saturday, now, if i wanted to go see DCFC, and i waited til then, i would be too late, but if i knew it was close to selling out, than i may make a special trip or buy em online or something.
    are you aware that other people are on this board, its not just for you. [/b]

markie

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2004, 01:32:00 pm »
 [QB]

Would anybody have predicted DCFC would sell out the 9:30 Club a month in advance after selling out the Cat only a FEW days in advance?

[qb]  

That would have been easy to predict. 930 has better publicity. More people look to it for shows. More people buy tickets in advance for 930 than blackcat, as people have higher expectations for a 930 show selling out.

It is pretty easy to make informed guesses as to a show selling out, or not.

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2004, 01:41:00 pm »
Would you have guessed the Old 97's would have sold out well in advance of the show, based on the fact that they had never sold out the 9:30 Club in any previous appearance, didn't have an album out, had been dropped from their label,Rhett Millers' solo album being a sales disappointment, and (i think), not selling out the Black Cat in two solo appearances?

Originally posted by mark e smith:

[QB]

[qb]  

That would have been easy to predict. 930 has better publicity. More people look to it for shows. More people buy tickets in advance for 930 than blackcat, as people have higher expectations for a 930 show selling out.

It is pretty easy to make informed guesses as to a show selling out, or not. [/b]

jkeisenh

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2004, 01:42:00 pm »
All I can say is this...
 If you really want to see a show, no matter how popular the band may or may not be, just buy the tickets in advance.  That way you'll never regret anything.
 Guessing how popular a band is, how together their fans are, whether people are willing to pay that much to see them, etc. is irrelevant-- it's a game you'll never win.
 The other plus is that you don't have to come early, wait in line, and hope.  You can show up at 10pm and know you're in.

lily1

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2004, 01:48:00 pm »
fuck. dcfc did sell out this early? should anyone have an extra ticket, i'll gladly buy it from you. i knew i should have stopped at the club earlier this week. my fault.

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2004, 01:50:00 pm »
Get ready for Sonick to slam you for daying the exact same thing I did...

All I can say is this...
 If you really want to see a show, no matter how popular the band may or may not be, just buy the tickets in advance.  That way you'll never regret anything.
 Guessing how popular a band is, how together their fans are, whether people are willing to pay that much to see them, etc. is irrelevant-- it's a game you'll never win.
 The other plus is that you don't have to come early, wait in line, and hope.  You can show up at 10pm and know you're in.

Dandy01

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2004, 01:59:00 pm »
Originally posted by J'Mal:
  Grandaddy/Saves the day could sell out.

Air will sell out (waiting for night #2)
How do we know  there will be a night 2?  and perhaps it hasn't sold out because of the steep price?  Any chance for a 2 for 1 deal on this one??