Author Topic: Netflix  (Read 3633 times)

Netflix
« on: September 08, 2004, 05:51:00 pm »
Does anyone have a netflix acct?  Is there a  downside?  Just wondering...

redsock

Re: Netflix
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2004, 05:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by Dupek Chopra:
  Does anyone have a netflix acct?  Is there a  downside?  Just wondering...
just started this too. I fear that living alone may force me to turn to the warm glowing orb I have long given up on. But I dunno anything about it much, cept the entire series of V, including the opening mini-series is on its way. Woohoo!

Bags

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004, 06:01:00 pm »
I ADORE Netflix.  Though I realize I am way overpaying for movies....I make no sense.    :p

Joymonster

• MySpace
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2004, 06:07:00 pm »
Anyone tried Blockbuster online?

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2004, 06:09:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:
  I ADORE Netflix.  Though I realize I am way overpaying for movies....I make no sense.     :p  
Actually, my sister wants to know.  I know Kosmic's got an acct with 'em, but his PM-box is full.

vansmack

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2004, 06:13:00 pm »
Venerable and I were just talking about this yesterday.  Soon, I will have the movies delivered to my Tivo instead of through the mail.  As soon as I watch one an delete it, here comes the next movie...

TIVO, NETFLIX CLOSE TO INTERNET MOVIE DEAL

Tue Sep 7,12:05 PM ET  Add Technology - Internet Report to My Yahoo!

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Online DVD renter Netflix Inc. (Nasdaq:NFLX - news) and television recorder maker TiVo (news - web sites) Inc. (Nasdaq:TIVO - news) are close to a deal to allow Netflix subscribers to download movies over the Internet to their TiVo devices, according to the latest issue of Newsweek magazine.

Newsweek, citing an anonymous source close to the talks, said the deal could be approved by TiVo's board of directors this week. Shares of Tivo and Netflix, both of which recently hit 52-week lows on concerns about their growth prospects, each surged 16 percent.

A Netflix spokeswoman said there was no relationship at this point between the two companies, but declined to comment on the accuracy of the Newsweek report. Tivo could not be immediately reached for comment.

Such a service would require subscriptions to both Netflix and TiVo, as well as a broadband Internet connection. TiVo's current service allows the recording of broadcast TV programs, while Netflix delivers DVDs through the mail.

TiVo has said it was working on delivering unique content, such as independent films, over the Internet to subscriber set-top boxes. In January, TiVo acquired Strangeberry, a California firm that designs broadband television software.

Shares of TiVo were up 70 cents to $5.12 in midday trade, while Netflix rose $2.32 to $16.67, both on Nasdaq.
27>34

Bags

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2004, 06:14:00 pm »
Well, I do love Netflix.  I was getting dinged with late charges from Blockbuster a lot.  Not because I'd forgotten to return the DVD, but because I hadn't had a chance to watch it and I'd think "I've already sunk $4 in to this, I should keep it a day late and watch it..."  And that would go on and on.

The turnover for Netflix is super fast.  If I mail a DVD back on Monday, I will have my next DVD in hand most likely Wednesday, sometimes Thursday but usually it only takes two days.  It's worth it to me that I'm not incurring additional late fees (that I can see and stress over).  It's all about being less aware of the price because it's all bundled -- savvy business.  

I had Gangs of NY for two months, never did watch it becuase I obviously didn't want to...but no stress at all.

Some video stores are trying to compete and you can sign up for a similar program at the store, but I'll tell you, the convenience of the in and out from your mailbox is awesome.

Samantha

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2004, 06:28:00 pm »
I love Netflix.  nothing else compares to their selection.  they have just about EVERYTHING.  And at the rate I watch movies, like one a day, it's so worth it.

sonickteam2

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2004, 06:49:00 pm »
Yeah

I have Netflix too, not only that, i bought stock in it last year!!! haha

but really, its the best thing ever, and since i have DVD Burner...well, nevermind

i love it and i just got an email about letting friends and family have a free month trial, so if you are interested, PM me, I'll send you the offer

ratioci nation

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2004, 07:47:00 pm »
love netflix

not a ripoff at all if you use it right, return movies as soon as possible and it is a great value, I just stick a movie in while I am working and send it back the next day, better than watching tv

it is fast because they have regional offices, the one near dc is in gaithersburg, so mail takes just 1 day

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2004, 07:52:00 pm »
i concur with how great netflix is... it was the wasted 45 minutes returning dvds to the store one day that made it all crystal clear how great the system is. kosmette loves it because of the great catalog of classics and fluff to choice from.
T.Rex

brennser

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2004, 08:58:00 pm »
ditto, ditto, ditto

netflix is great once you make sure you watch 4/5 DVDs a month

MaLo

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2004, 10:48:00 pm »
I like using "Netflix" as a verb

Currently, i am netflixing the entire first (and only) season of Freaks and Geeks.  I love that show!!!

But yeah, i totally heart netflix, its the best!

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2004, 08:39:00 am »
there is absolutely nothing bad about Netflix.  Even if you lose a DVD, as I did for a while, they'll send out another to replace it, although there's a limit to how many times you can do that.

My biggest problem is I still forget to return movies, but now I don't have late fees out the wazoo like I used to.   :)

ps - for obscure stuff Video Vault in Alexandria is highly recommended both for its selection and its pleasant old-skool atmosphere.  They were the only place I could find that had Wild in the Streets.   :D
_\|/_

sonickteam2

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2004, 08:46:00 am »
Originally posted by Doctor Doom:
  there is absolutely nothing bad about Netflix.  Even if you lose a DVD, as I did for a while, they'll send out another to replace it, although there's a limit to how many times you can do that.

good point.  they have the best customer service. and i dont even think there's a limit to replacements, just if they think you are abusing it, they'll stop.  imagine that, taking you on a case by case basis, gotta love that!