Author Topic: Movement - DEMF 08  (Read 16613 times)

slappy

Re: Movement - DEMF 08
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 11:49:00 am »
Originally posted by sweetcell:

Originally posted by kosmo:
 In my own little happy world, Seth would be just as comfortable booking a Derrick May as he would Fatboy Slim...
but where would you have him book derrick?  at the 930?  i love the club, but it doesn't do much for me as a dance venue.  i fear that most people come to the 930 expecting to stand in one spot and face the stage all night; as opposed to dancing about, socializing, facing all directions, and moving about. [/b]
I went to see Fatboy Slim at 9:30 (not on my dime) expecting the same thing, surprisingly it was the opposite with everyone dancing, socializing, facing all directions, etc.

If Seth can get a deal with the Armory as rumored, it would be a nice spot.

With Five now under new management there are not really any venues bringing in quality dj's/electronic artists. It's all table service and dress codes with shitty dj's.

Five is rumored to be possibly going back to a live act venue like when it was the Garage.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2008, 07:54:00 am »
Things are beginning to shape up nicely for this festival

MOVEMENT 2008 DETROIT ELECTRONIC MUSIC FESTIVAL ANNOUNCES
 BEATPORT STAGE LINEUP

Detroit- Paxahau, producers of MOVEMENT 2008 announce the line-up of artists set to appear on the Beatport Stage. This year??s diverse and eclectic Beatport Stage roster showcases established electronic acts and vanguard artists who exemplify the event??s global fan appeal, confirming the Detroit festival as a destination for the international techno circuit.

??The Beatport Stage hosts the premier artists that give the festival its global appeal?,
 stated Jason Huvaere, festival director, ??We are excited that Beatport has partnered
 with us for a third year ?? this year, the line-up and the stage??s new sound technology
 will further intensify the festival experience.?

Beatport is a US-based online music store recognized as the internet??s leading source
 for electronic music downloads. Beatport features more that 6500 labels and the site
 adds thousands of new tracks weekly and offers new releases, classic and exclusive
 tracks all categorized by genres such as house, trance and techno.

??MOVEMENT is one of only four electronic music events in which Beatport chooses to
 participate,? Shawn Sabo, Beatport director of public relations and marketing explained.
  ??The Beatport Stage at Movement allows us to do what we do best ?? cater to the
 tastes of the global electronic music scene by hosting top artists in genres both
 recognized and emerging.?

Providing the audience with the best listening and dancing experience, a new vinyl roof and
 metal structures replace old tents insuring a strong foundation which allows enough support
 to hold the sound and lighting systems.  The new structures give more space, better sight
 lines, and hold for all weather conditions.

Some of the performances will include: Beatport??s number one selling artist, Deadmau5; a highly
 anticipated tenth anniversary set with Richie Hawtin and Minus; Dubfire, half of the 2001 Grammy
 award winning group, Deep Dish, nominated for best remixed recording, non-classical track
 preformed by Dido. Also joining the Beatport stage are Tycho and Par Grindvik, two up and
 coming artists from Ghostly International.

Stage Lineup

Saturday May 24th
 12:00 pm Tycho (live)
 2:00 pm Eric Johnston (live)
 3:00 pm [To be confirmed]
 4:30 pm Justin Long
 6:00 pm Alex Smoke (live)
 7:00 pm Par Grindvik (live)
 8:00 pm Deadmau5 (live)
 9:00 pm [To be confirmed]
 10:30 pm Alex Under (live)

Sunday May 25th
 12:00 pm Matthew Hawtin
 3:00 pm Konrad Black
 5:00 pm Heartthrob (live)
 6:00 pm Marco Carola
 8:00 pm Magda
 10:00 pm Richie Hawtin

Monday May 26th    
 12:00 pm Jerry Abstract
 2:30 pm Guillaume & the Coutu Dumonts
 3:30 pm Mathias Kaden (live)
 4:30 pm Davide Squillace
 6:00 pm Lee Burridge
 7:30 pm [To be confirmed]
 8:30 pm Josh Wink
 10:00 pm Dubfire
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2008, 08:07:00 am »
additional artists

Alland Byallo
 Davide Squillace
 Deadmau5 -live
 Deepchord presents Echospace -live
 Derek Plaslaiko
 Derrick Thompson
 Dieselboy & MC Messinian
 Eric Johnston -live
 Heartthrob -live
 Jerry Abstract
 Josh Wink
 Justin Kruse aka Kruse Kontrol
 Justin Long
 Lee Burridge
 Magda
 Marco Carola
 Matthew Hawtin
 Mike Huckaby
 Par Grindvik -live
 Paul Ritch -live
 Peanut Butter Wolf
 Pete Rock
 Reggie "Hotmix" Harrell
 Richie Hawtin
 Shawn Michaels
 Soundmurderer
 Tycho -live
T.Rex

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2008, 01:00:00 pm »
I'm going. Specifically for the all night skate party hosted by Moodymann!
Woof.

sonickteam2

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2008, 02:52:00 pm »
Terrence Parker is not only one of the best DJs from America, hes a fuckin awesome dude. anyway.

i went to DEMF in 2001.
 it was pretty awesome. by far the biggest party i have ever been at and i met kids from all over the world.  it also confirmed my belief that John Acquiaviva is the greatest man behind two turntables, no matter what Richie Hawtin says.

if my wife still listened to electronic music, i would be there.  

fuck justice.

sonickteam2

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2008, 02:55:00 pm »
Originally posted by sweetcell:

In my own little happy world, Seth would be just as comfortable booking a Derrick May as he would Fatboy Slim...
but where would you have him book derrick?  at the 930?  i love the club, but it doesn't do much for me as a dance venue.  i fear that most people come to the 930 expecting to stand in one spot and face the stage all night; as opposed to dancing about, socializing, facing all directions, and moving about. [/b]
didnt they have that detroit tent at the Curefest tour thingamabob? with May and Saunderson?  

at merriweather?  i swear that happened.  somewhere i know it did, and it was awesome. with a capital A.

Edit: it was at that Moby Area One tour...not the Cure...duh...

sonickteam2

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2008, 03:14:00 pm »

I realize Fatboy Slim is commercialized and stuff, but he didnt just come out of nowhere.
   He was a major influence in the UK Big Beat and funky house scene.  

and i saw him at 930 once too and he had a DJ booth in the center of the club and you could dance on the stage if you wanted.  he was coked to the gills and i think even throwing records out into the crowd....that was entertaining.

Ikarus

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2008, 04:53:00 am »
just to  make sure your don't blame the club too much: jaun atkins spun at the club...7-8 years ago?  drew about 150 people.  not much of a demand for these guys outside of germany.

i've seen saunderson and craig do amazing dj sets at small places around the detroit metroplex, and the draw is about the same.

i'll be missing this event, mostly cuz the local politics suck ass, but if you go, craig and hawtin are not to be missed. and tune in to late night radio for some dj godfather mixes.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2008, 07:39:00 am »
no blame from me as to why the club doesn't book DJs  i'd like to hear spin here... just wish some of them would have gained more level of popularity here in the US...
T.Rex

slappy

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2008, 11:10:00 am »
The additional artists are making it a solid lineup.

With Peanut Butter Wolf and Pete Rock, I can see Madlib being added soon, esp. since he's already on tour.

Magda is very easy on the eyes as well as ears.

azaghal1981

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2008, 01:17:00 pm »
Very solid lineup with the announcement of that Beatport stage.
احمد

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2008, 07:55:00 pm »
more choice additions to the festival

Real Detroit Stage

Saturday, May 24th
      12:00-2:00 pm Big Joe Hix
      2:00-4:00 pm Reggie "Hotmix" Harrell
      4:00-5:30 pm Minx
      5:30-7:00 pm Michael Gieger
      7:00-8:30 pm Mike Grant
      8:30-10:00 pm Terrence Parker
      10:00 pm - 12:00 am Stacey Pullen

Sunday, May 25th
      12:00-1:30 pm Gabe Real
      1:30-3:00 pm T Linder
      3:00-4:00 pm Darkcube - live
      4:00-6:00 pm Aaron-Carl feat. Veronique & DJ E. Dubb
      6:00-8:00 pm TBA
      8:00-9:00 pm Mr. De - live/DJ
      9:00-11:00 pm TBA
      11:00 pm - 12:00 am Closed

Monday, May 26th
      12:00-2:00 pm Drew Pompa
      2:00-3:00 pm Josh Dahlberg
      3:00-4:30 pm Derrick Thompson aka DriveTrain
      4:30-6:00 pm Twonz
      6:00-7:30 pm Rich Korach
      7:30-9:00 pm Derek Plaslaiko
      9:00-11:00 pm Kevin Saunderson
      11:00 pm - 12:00 am Closed
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2008, 07:52:00 pm »
i'm so excited that this pre party has been announced...

THE FUZION OF SCIENCE & TECHNO  

presented by The Detroit Science Center

Juan Atkins, Derrick May, Eddie 'Flashin' Fowlkes, T. Linder, Stacey Pullen, Mike Grant, DJ Body Mechanic, Mike 'Agent X' Clark, Delano Smith, Norm Talley, Terrance Parker, John Collins, Scan 7, Bruce Bailey, Minx, Alton Miller, Reggie 'Hot Mix' Harrell, DJ Seoul, Rick Wilhite & Kenny Dixon, Jr. & Theo Parrish (aka 3 Chairs), Super Mario 'The Brother'.
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2008, 07:58:00 pm »
the m_nus party has been announced, but there is kinda bizarre gimmick involving interacting with this specially created cube at the event...
T.Rex

sonickteam2

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2008, 07:58:00 pm »
parties at science centers were always my favourite.

Liberty Science Center being A+ number 1!