Author Topic: Movement - DEMF 08  (Read 16611 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Movement - DEMF 08
« on: March 25, 2008, 12:34:00 pm »
Finally a list of confirmed acts for the Memorial Day Electronic Music festival in Downtown Detroit.  Haven't been to this one in years, but decided this year would be a good time to venture back to.  

Anyways confirmed so far...

ALEX UNDER â??live
 ALTON MILLER
 BENNY BENASSI
 BUZZ GOREE
 CARL CRAIG
 CASSY
 COBBLESTONE JAZZ â??live
 COOL KIDS â??live
 DBX â??live
 DUBFIRE
 EGYPTIAN LOVER â??live
 GIRL TALK â??live
 GUILLAUME & THE COUTU DUMONTS -live
 HALF HAWAII â??live
 JAMES ZABIELA
 JORIS VOORN â??live
 KONRAD BLACK
 MATHIAS KADEN â??live
 MIKE GRANT
 MINX
 MOBY -dj set
 NEWCLEUS -live
 SPEEDY J -live with Scott Pagano VJ
 TECH ITCH
 TERRENCE PARKER
 ZIP

http://www.myspace.com/detroitmusicfest
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: Movement - DEMF 08
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 07:57:00 am »
Thought posting about a festival with at first glance is a solid lineup of electronic musicians and dj would generate a tad more discussion here.  Sure it's in Detroit, but thats not stopping people from flying in from around the world to attend.  Besides, downtown Detroit isn't that much different Baltimore's Inner Harbor.

I guess that means that this forum taste in electronic music is <rant deleted>

So could use some help with what a couple of these acts are all about.  Most of them I recognize...

Detroit Stalwarts or influenced by the Detroit Sound
 ALTON MILLER
 BUZZ GOREE
 CARL CRAIG
 DBX â??live
 JORIS VOORN â??live
 MIKE GRANT
 MINX
 SPEEDY J -live with Scott Pagano VJ
 TERRENCE PARKER

Gotta to pay the bills acts
 BENNY BENASSI - Apparently a member of the Number One DJ in the world club. (Trance/Progressive shite)
 MOBY -dj set which appears to be of the everything including the kitchen sink approach these days

DUBFIRE - Trance/Progressive?

GIRL TALK â??live  (duh)

Original School Electro
 EGYPTIAN LOVER â??live
 NEWCLEUS -live
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 07:58:00 am »
so any clue on any of these?

LEX UNDER â??live
 CASSY
 COBBLESTONE JAZZ â??live
 COOL KIDS â??live
 HALF HAWAII â??live
 JAMES ZABIELA
 KONRAD BLACK
 MATHIAS KADEN â??live
 TECH ITCH
 ZIP
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 08:16:00 am »
oh yeah $40 bucks in advance...
T.Rex

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 08:50:00 am »
I happen to catch Benny Benassi two weeks ago in Vegas at the Hard Rock Hotel. He rocked a killer set, AND did not play "Satisfaction" which was perfect not to hear  :)

MindCage
 Mindless Faith
 Deep6 Productions
3MTA3

Ikarus

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 10:44:00 am »
yeah that was one of my recent eMusic downloads and one of the reasons i decided to attend this years festival... good thing carl signed on to spin at the festival  :)

if you download it via Amazon one also gets the continuous mixes if you download the entire album, tracks not on eMusic.
T.Rex

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 11:19:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo:
  Thought posting about a festival with at first glance is a solid lineup of electronic musicians and dj would generate a tad more discussion here.  Sure it's in Detroit, but thats not stopping people from flying in from around the world to attend.  Besides, downtown Detroit isn't that much different Baltimore's Inner Harbor.

I guess that means that this forum taste in electronic music is <rant deleted>
oh do calm down.

you know that i'm into electronic music, but to tell you the truth there were only a handful of names that i recognized.  i'm not big on detroit techno, but if i was this would be the festival to go to.

between radiohead, lolla, APW, possibly VFest (will depend on line-up), and an occasional jaunt to NYC or DC on weekends, my concert traveling schedule is pretty full.  DEMF just didn't have the muscle power to get on my calendar.  does looks like fun tho, wish it was closer so i could catch some of it.  do let us know how it went.
<sig>

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 11:56:00 am »
that snide remark wasn't direct specifically at you as there are other people on this forum into various forms of electronic music and festivals in general.

warning cranky old man rant...

my "frustration" at the moments stems from the lack of appreciation for the history of electronic music in general... while it's great that Justice can get 5 millions plays on last.fm, it's very disappointing
 pioneering artists like Derrick May and Carl Craig only plays in numbers under 100k.  

Now granted last.fm demographics are very indie rock centric but surely people who are going nutso  for Justice would also appreciate music from two decades ago that helped sowed the seeds of electronica.  Classic tracks that IMHO don't sound dated from artists still active and as they also have been vastly  more appreciated in Europe than in the US.

Does anyone think that in 20 years time, a hot remixer like Simian Disco Mobile will be doing a remix of a Justice track, like SDM just did of Inner City's classic  track "Big Fun" first released in 1998.
T.Rex

BookerT

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 03:17:00 pm »
does it really, truly bother you that may and craig don't get the same kind of love as justice? i've never really understood this phenomenon. isn't it nice to have something that's more "your own" instead of having to share it with people who, y'know, like justice? if it was a matter of a band/dj not having enough fans/money to be able to continue making music that'd be one thing. but those dudes are doing fine. the people who are fans are actually fans. if people want to be ignorant, then let them, i say.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 09:20:00 pm »
the after parties are a key part of this festival here is the logistics for of one of them...

*DOORS @ 9PM - SHUTDOWN AT 11AM.*                
 * Event opens at 9pm & ends at 11am, bar closing at 2am then reopening at 7am.

doubt  i'll be doing any serious after partying... although this one has a couple interesting people involved with it...
T.Rex

slappy

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 12:24:00 am »
  so any clue on any of these?

LEX UNDER â??live
 CASSY
 COBBLESTONE JAZZ â??live
 COOL KIDS â??live
 HALF HAWAII â??live
 JAMES ZABIELA
 KONRAD BLACK
 MATHIAS KADEN â??live
 TECH ITCH
 ZIP
Cobblestone Jazz are a trio that play everything live with some improvisation. They have a warm analog early Detroit techno mixed with Chicago house sound. Album is out on !K7.

Cassy a dj also has stuff on !K7. Minimal house. Worked with Swayzak, Richard Villalobos and one of the guys from Cobblestone Jazz.

Half Hawaii-smooth,bass driven minimal house.

Cool Kids are retro-y hip hop duo from Chicago. Really fun live. They drop some bass too.

Tech Itch is darkside drum & bass. Where goth and dnb meet. Not my cuppa tea.

James Zabiela is on Renaissance and has a similar sound to most of their artist Sasha, Digweed, Dave Seaman, etc.

I'd rather spend vacation time on WMC, but not a bad lineup.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 08:50:00 am »
I still have family back in Detroit Area which is part of the reason for the trek back...

Slappy and eMusic has helped fill in some of the holes..

Have been checking in on a couple forums discussing the line-up so far and there are clear factions being formed along the lines of pro vs anti glowstick..

With regards to BookerT's comment, I completely understand and agree to a point.

I'm willing to share with those who are willing to listen with a open mind.  

Citing Justice isn't the best example, there are better such as fans of Underworld, Kraftwerk, Aphex Twin, Hot Chip, etc.  

Clearly some of these guys make Europeans go bonkers, as promoters over there wouldn't still be flying them there on a regular basis.  It would be great to see these without having to back to Detroit for the occasional  one off gig.  And flying to Europe especially now is out of the question.

Add some these guys to the list of name brand DJs, so that the dance tent at every festival isn't a slightly different grouping of the usual suspects.   And so that a Richie Hawtin or Derrick May would be able to once in awhile make the rounds in the US like a DJ Shadow.

In my own little happy world, Seth would be just as comfortable booking a Derrick May as he would Fatboy Slim...
T.Rex

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 09:17:00 am »
 In my own little happy world, Seth would be just as comfortable booking a Derrick May as he would Fatboy Slim...
but where would you have him book derrick?  at the 930?  i love the club, but it doesn't do much for me as a dance venue.  i fear that most people come to the 930 expecting to stand in one spot and face the stage all night; as opposed to dancing about, socializing, facing all directions, and moving about.
<sig>

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 09:30:00 am »
they have in the past put dj's in the center of the club on the floor, which would give one the opportunity to move around, etc..
T.Rex