Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1938932 times)

atomicfront

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #2610 on: November 15, 2012, 03:49:42 pm »
I don't really see where current phones will need to be upgraded in the future. 

don't ever, ever seek a job in marketing or consumer R&D.

Yeah I am more concerned with the environment than needless features.  People throwing phones away every two years is ridiculous.  Marketing features that no one needs.  Yeah I wouldn't be into that.  I would rather market things that last a lifetime or more. 

vansmack

« Reply #2611 on: November 15, 2012, 04:08:01 pm »

Is Samsung good about updating the OS on their phones? 

I think the most you can expect from a manufacturer is 12 months of software upgrades, 18 months at best, and they will be 3 months after Google's release.   This is reason #1 why I went to the Nexus line, not to mention that its easier to develop on.  So for the GSIII, Key Lime Pie for sure, whatever the L release is, 50% chance at best.

And before the Apple folks chime in on having iOS to eternity, Apple cripples the release based on hardware capabilities for the older phones. So Apple folks aren't getting full upgrades.  Google's X.X.X updates support that, but not an X.X update. It's usually a full rewrite.
27>34

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #2612 on: November 30, 2012, 04:24:58 pm »
hot stove is bubbling over this week

what's your take on this trade?  seems like a no-brainer for the Angels, but how did the Braves not get more for Hanson?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8694819/tommy-hanson-traded-atlanta-braves-jordan-walden-los-angeles-angels
(o|o)

vansmack

« Reply #2613 on: December 01, 2012, 09:04:15 pm »
what's your take on this trade?  seems like a no-brainer for the Angels, but how did the Braves not get more for Hanson?

Nobody trusts Hanson's arm.  While you can repair an elbow, you'll struggle to repair a shoulder.

That being said, I'm always willing to trade a struggling reliever for a struggling starter.  Even if it means one less arb eligible year.  A starter is almost always going to command more cash and the Braves knew this, so they let him go for a cheaper option to fill their whole - setup guys.

Will he struggle with the DH - yes.  But remember he's a flyball pitcher and Anaheim is a great stadium for flyball pitchers because of the heavy night air.  He'll get lit up on Sunday day games though.

I like the deal.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2614 on: December 11, 2012, 06:33:59 pm »
No Comment.  Phone calls to Venerable were also not returned.

CA State Employee Posts Nearly 5000 Online Comments While At Work
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2615 on: December 13, 2012, 03:08:58 pm »
With Audiogalaxy and my homeserver, I don't need this. 

Total bummer as there is currently not an affordable service available for those of us with HUGE collections:

Audiogalaxy Acquired by Dropbox, service to shut down

EDIT: I take that back.  250,000 songs available for streaming from Amazon Cloud Premium for $25 a year?  I think I may have a new solution.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 03:24:29 pm by vansmack »
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2616 on: December 13, 2012, 04:30:00 pm »
Hamilton to the Angels, 5 years, $125 million.

We can't get anybody out, but we can score runs. A ton of them.
27>34

hutch

« Reply #2617 on: December 13, 2012, 05:26:08 pm »
sick

vansmack

« Reply #2618 on: December 13, 2012, 06:31:51 pm »
sick

Now we have a plethora of outfielders (Trout, Hamilton, Trumbo, Bourjous, Wells...).  Time to deal for Dickey.  Throw in a starter and a catcher?

Or, trade Morales to the O's for Johnson.

This can't be it.  Anaheim is not a ballpark where you can slug your way to a title.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2619 on: December 18, 2012, 02:27:03 pm »

Nobody trusts Hanson's arm.  While you can repair an elbow, you'll struggle to repair a shoulder.

That being said, I'm always willing to trade a struggling reliever for a struggling starter.  Even if it means one less arb eligible year.  A starter is almost always going to command more cash and the Braves knew this, so they let him go for a cheaper option to fill their whole - setup guys.

Will he struggle with the DH - yes.  But remember he's a flyball pitcher and Anaheim is a great stadium for flyball pitchers because of the heavy night air.  He'll get lit up on Sunday day games though.

I like the deal.

Going back to this deal, I think Anaheim would have rather traded Walden for Rick Porcello, honestly.  But that would have been a daring gamble to wait out and I think they were in the running for Anibal Sanchez (until the Hamilton signing).  There is still an outside shot at Bourjos for Porcello, but I doubt it.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2620 on: December 19, 2012, 06:15:53 pm »
Angels trade Morales to Seattle for Vargas.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2621 on: December 25, 2012, 11:48:20 am »
May The Force be with you. Always.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2622 on: December 26, 2012, 12:41:15 am »
I got a Trout jersey, Trout T-shirt, Angels cap, United Jersey and United jacket. Also a qi charger for my Nexus.

Hoya had a boy.

I lose. Congrats buddy for giving yourself a reason to not go to the movies next Christmas.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2623 on: January 03, 2013, 06:45:20 pm »
(I'll spare the iPhone thread)

Got it and since ditched it.  Battery was killing me.  Just couldn't hang with it.  Other than that it was sweet.

Strange.  I can go a day and a half - best battery of any Android phone I've used.  Which carrier did you go with and how was your email setup (gmail plus corporate/ POP/IMAP/EXCHANGE)?  Those seem to be the big two - searching for carrier signal and amount of email.

The next two would be widgets running and screen on time.
27>34

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #2624 on: January 03, 2013, 06:52:26 pm »
(I'll spare the iPhone thread)

Got it and since ditched it.  Battery was killing me.  Just couldn't hang with it.  Other than that it was sweet.

Strange.  I can go a day and a half - best battery of any Android phone I've used.  Which carrier did you go with and how was your email setup (gmail plus corporate/ POP/IMAP/EXCHANGE)?  Those seem to be the big two - searching for carrier signal and amount of email.

The next two would be widgets running and screen on time.
T-mobile...good signal just about everywhere I go (except for parts of the subway during commute).  Exchange, Gmail Facebook.  Don't get tons of email.  Screen set to auto brightness.  Played with all the settings/widgets/power management etc.  Tweaked it a ton.  At the end of the day I just got tired of worrying about it.  If i had to go somewhere and use the GPS i'd definiately need a charge well before the end of the day. 

I got a even swap for a brand new Note II so i'm trying that out for a while.  It's a little big but I'm VERY impressed with Samsung.  And the battery is OUTRAGEOUS. 

My Nexus coulda been a lemon.  If i ever want to find out I can sell this boat and buy another new nexus and come out 150-200 bucks ahead  ;D