Author Topic: iphone  (Read 377081 times)

bearman🐻

Re: iphone
« Reply #915 on: June 21, 2012, 06:32:46 am »
That confirms what I was thinking. You're the best. Thank you!

slappy

« Reply #916 on: June 21, 2012, 11:53:03 am »
Quick question. Does anyone know if iMessaging exists when you travel outside the country, for example, when you're using wifi in Canada? Or does any text you send cost $.25? Just wondering if any of you gurus have any experience with it. Many thanks.

I've used the Viber app (free) for texting from Mexico with no problems. Never used it for actual voice calls but some reviews say that were charged international rates. I also had it on 'Airplane Mode' to avoid roaming charges.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/viber-free-phone-calls-text/id382617920?mt=8

lily1

« Reply #917 on: June 21, 2012, 12:15:32 pm »
are there any drunk texting apps that actually work? the two i've tried require you to text thru the app which is obviously bs because no one is going to do that. plus it ok'd one of my messages when the content was clearly not something that should have gotten sent.

stevewizzle

« Reply #918 on: June 21, 2012, 12:45:19 pm »
Quick question. Does anyone know if iMessaging exists when you travel outside the country, for example, when you're using wifi in Canada? Or does any text you send cost $.25? Just wondering if any of you gurus have any experience with it. Many thanks.

I haven't set it up it in a while (February, I think), but when I did I went to settings and turned OFF the option that asks "Send iMessage as text if iMessage not available" or something like that.  That will save you the $.25 charge, but do note that this solution will only work to other iPhones/iPads that use iMessage.

Unlike Google Voice, you won't be able send SMS texts to non Apple phones in America over wifi from overseas.  Just iMessages to other iPhones/iPads.

If you have a Google Voice number, you can use Google Voice for SMS (but not MMS) overseas on wifi and text any phone in the US.

when i was in central america, my messages would send as iMessages when i was connected to wifi.

when i was roaming (i.e. not on wifi), i would send messages and they would go out as regular text messages.

i shut international data roaming off, which is why they went as texts instead of iMessages. 

i spent ~$10 for an international texting plan for 50 text messages. 

i also made some calls while roaming for about $2 per minute.  that was a really, really stupid idea.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 12:47:02 pm by stevewizzle »

vansmack

« Reply #919 on: June 21, 2012, 12:59:43 pm »
are there any drunk texting apps that actually work? the two i've tried require you to text thru the app which is obviously bs because no one is going to do that. plus it ok'd one of my messages when the content was clearly not something that should have gotten sent.

Yes.  The power button.
27>34

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #920 on: June 21, 2012, 01:09:51 pm »

Plan on going out on a bender?  ;D ;)

lily1

« Reply #921 on: June 21, 2012, 01:12:24 pm »
i did, actually, a couple times, and it got me into trouble.  ;)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #922 on: December 13, 2012, 12:25:38 pm »
Google Maps returns to iOS as an app after Apple's removal
After months-long absence due to Apple's embarrassing removal of the feature from its mobile platform, Google's maps returns as a standalone app.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57558901-37/google-maps-returns-to-ios-as-an-app-after-apples-removal/

can someone (say, smackie) explain to me how apple was able to ban g-maps from the app store that entire time?  isn't that anti-competitive behavior?  the missus has an iphone and like millions of others she HATED apple maps.  she said that g-maps wasn't available in the app store, thus she was stranded with apple's disastrous app.  was google maps somehow not in the app store before and it came pre-loaded on the iphone? 
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #923 on: December 13, 2012, 01:54:58 pm »
can someone (say, smackie) explain to me how apple was able to ban g-maps from the app store that entire time?  isn't that anti-competitive behavior?  the missus has an iphone and like millions of others she HATED apple maps.  she said that g-maps wasn't available in the app store, thus she was stranded with apple's disastrous app.  was google maps somehow not in the app store before and it came pre-loaded on the iphone? 

It's a little convoluted, but here you go....

So, G-Maps was originally contractually part of iOS through iOS 5 - it was not a stand alone App.  When iOS 6 came out, the contract had ended and neither party really wanted to renew the arrangement under the existing language, though Google probably would have. 

Here's why - Apple wanted more features in the iOS version that were comparable to Android's version.  Google said, nope, we're contractually obligated to supply this, this and this, but if you want more, we want more access to location based features in iOS itself.  Not surprisingly Apple declined, realized that Google was collecting heaps of data on iOS users that Apple wanted and thus Apple Maps was born.  Prematurely.

Google then rushed to do a complete redesign of the Application and ready it as part of a stand alone app, with a ton of new bells and whistles, that Apple wanted all along.  The difference of course is that Google no longer has access to the Maps required portions of iOS, but can now collect data from those that use Google Maps.

The big shock yesterday was not that it was approved - Apple would have brought the heat of fans and the FTC/FCC/[Insert Government agency here] had it done so.  The HUGE shock was that Google also released the G-Maps SDK (Software Developers Kit) for iOS the same day so ANYBODY who makes an app for iOS can use Google Maps instead of Apple Maps if they so choose.  I can't imagine an app maker choosing to use Apple's built in maps over Google Maps for the next couple of years.

Sure, Google doesn't have access to iOS built-in features that require mapping services, but they have opened access to anybody that want to add a mapping feature to a stand alone app to use Google Maps.  That's a big deal.
27>34

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #924 on: January 03, 2013, 06:04:34 pm »

vansmack

« Reply #925 on: January 03, 2013, 06:26:16 pm »
This could be in the when reality reflects the onion thread...

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/01/03/apple-files-for-notification-center-patent-android-world-lulz/

Hilarious (I love the first comment).  Did you ever get your Nexus 4?
27>34

chaz

« Reply #926 on: January 03, 2013, 06:33:57 pm »
This could be in the when reality reflects the onion thread...

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/01/03/apple-files-for-notification-center-patent-android-world-lulz/

Hilarious (I love the first comment).  Did you ever get your Nexus 4?
Got it and since ditched it.  Battery was killing me.  Just couldn't hang with it.  Other than that it was sweet.

vansmack

27>34

chaz

« Reply #928 on: December 15, 2014, 08:22:49 am »
After many years of android, I've come back to iOS, just for kicks I think?

There's a lot that Android can do that this does not.

But golly I like it a lot for some reason.

« Reply #929 on: July 11, 2016, 03:37:44 pm »
After many years of android, I've come back to iOS, just for kicks I think?

There's a lot that Android can do that this does not.

But golly I like it a lot for some reason.

slack