Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1890146 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #3030 on: October 17, 2013, 10:40:43 am »
Arguably, that could be argued wither way from the Detroit perspective.

tell me, what finishing school did you attend?
Everyone knows I'm three g+t's deep at 12:45am after a Tigers playoff game.
LVMH

« Reply #3031 on: October 18, 2013, 08:18:33 am »
he's almost like a guy whose dream job would be to be GM of a team..
I always thought Smackie's dream job would be editor-in-chief of BroBible.com.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #3032 on: October 18, 2013, 03:02:35 pm »
I always thought Smackie's dream job would be editor-in-chief of BroBible.com.

No way,  in that vein, Lexington Correspondent.

Smackie's Dream jobs given current abilities:

(1) GM of an MLB Baseball Team
(2) Lexington Correspondent for The Economist.
(3) Some role in whatever Google replaced Google Labs with
(4) A Jedi Knight in the next Star Wars movie.

If my current abilities were not taken into account:

(1) Professional left handed middle reliever
(2) Professional golfer with Tour Exemption
(3) The #7 for Manchester United
27>34

« Reply #3033 on: October 18, 2013, 03:30:50 pm »
With all due respect, fair Smackie, nothing screams BroBible target audience more than a guy who thinks he's qualified to run a major-league sports team.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #3034 on: October 18, 2013, 03:40:09 pm »
With all due respect, fair Smackie, nothing screams BroBible target audience more than a guy who thinks he's qualified to run a major-league sports team.

Duly noted.  I'll keep that as a fall back position.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #3035 on: October 19, 2013, 02:07:06 am »

thoughts on puig?

He lacks an understanding of the game and makes simple mistakes, both on the base paths and in the field.

That's all.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 02:09:40 am by vansmack »
27>34

hutch

« Reply #3036 on: October 20, 2013, 10:27:42 am »
well unfortunately i had a feeing it would come to this..cards-bosox

the dodgers and tigers just didn't play good baseball..didn't deserve a better fate.... prince fielder is embarassing really...i tend to really like leyland, or at least i thought i did, but he was too quick to pull sherzer (sic)...

arguably a matchup between the two best teams during the regular season... the two teams that have accounted for 4 world series winners out of the past 9...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 11:10:22 am by hutch »

shemptiness

« Reply #3037 on: October 20, 2013, 11:19:46 am »
Things have been falling into place for the Sox all year.  It's uncanny.  I hope it ends soon.

« Reply #3038 on: October 20, 2013, 06:43:44 pm »
I agree the Tigers didn't deserve better. Two bullpen grand slams while leading in one series. Unreal. Offense was pretty terrible too. Feel bad for Scherzer, Verlander, Fister and Sanchez. They deserved much better than this.
LVMH

atomic

« Reply #3039 on: October 21, 2013, 12:00:25 am »
I agree the Tigers didn't deserve better. Two bullpen grand slams while leading in one series. Unreal. Offense was pretty terrible too. Feel bad for Scherzer, Verlander, Fister and Sanchez. They deserved much better than this.

Why would you feel bad for them? They are getting millions of dollars and don't have to work for the next  6 months. 

vansmack

« Reply #3040 on: October 21, 2013, 11:57:51 am »
i tend to really like leyland, or at least i thought i did, but he was too quick to pull sherzer (sic)...

If Scherzer gets the third strike call (which I think he should have, it was the perfect pitch) then he stays in, but at 109 pitches and after the walk, Leyland made the right call going for the lefty-lefty matchup.  It wasn't Leyland's fault his rookie shortstop booted the double play ball.  Absent the error, which you can't predict, it was the perfect move and did exactly what it was supposed to from a pitching stand point.
27>34

hutch

« Reply #3041 on: October 21, 2013, 12:00:27 pm »
i tend to really like leyland, or at least i thought i did, but he was too quick to pull sherzer (sic)...

If Scherzer gets the third strike call (which I think he should have, it was the perfect pitch) then he stays in, but at 109 pitches and after the walk, Leyland made the right call going for the lefty-lefty matchup.  It wasn't Leyland's fault his rookie shortstop booted the double play ball.  Absent the error, which you can't predict, it was the perfect move and did exactly what it was supposed to from a pitching stand point.

ok i can see that

i like leyland a lot... i guess he's available to the Nats? ofcourse the nats will never do that.. who are your top choices for Nats manager
I think I like leyland, dusty baker, and cal ripken.

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #3042 on: October 21, 2013, 12:15:44 pm »
seriously? dusty baker is the absolute last guy id want rizzo to go with

leyland stepping down certainly makes for an interesting new layer of manager drama

apparently dombrowski's known for a while so im sure hes already begun the process, but i wonder if theres any overlap with rizzo's targets

and i totally agreed with taking scherzer out when leyland did. he looked done and i had a bad feeling watching him that he was gonna give up a big hit any pitch. of course it backfired terribly, but thats the way it goes sometimes

edit: just to add a bit more on the nats direction, i think they should go with a smaller name guy. no dusty baker, no jim leyland, no joe girardi (obviously), no established name that would add even more pressure on this team to win big. idk if im sold on randy knorr but i like that direction a lot more than any of the big name guys
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 12:19:52 pm by gaaaaaaaaah »

vansmack

« Reply #3043 on: October 21, 2013, 12:19:11 pm »
i like leyland a lot... i guess he's available to the Nats? ofcourse the nats will never do that.. who are your top choices for Nats manager

I don't think Skip has the energy any longer, so I don't think he'd take the Nat's job. 

I've always been partial to catchers, so I think the Nat's should hire Brad Ausmus.  He's studied under Bud Black, whom I also admire, and I think he's ready.

I think the Tigers have known about Skip's departure and will go with Gene Lamont.  Or they may give it to Larry Parrish, but as a former catcher, I like Lamont.
27>34

hutch

« Reply #3044 on: October 21, 2013, 12:20:34 pm »

I don't think Skip has the energy any longer, so I don't think he'd take the Nat's job. 

I've always been partial to catchers, so I think the Nat's should hire Brad Ausmus.  He's studied under Bud Black, whom I also admire, and I think he's ready.

I think the Tigers have known about Skip's departure and will go with Gene Lamont.  Or they may give it to Larry Parrish, but as a former catcher, I like Lamont.

I agree that Leyland looked completely worn out.. he looks much older than 68....he honestly did not seem to be having a good time.. he looked not just worn out but almost scared...