Author Topic: And it's over...  (Read 14626 times)

xcanuck

And it's over...
« on: February 16, 2005, 04:14:00 pm »
For both the hockey fans out there...it's all over for this year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpNWZic251BF9TAzI1NjY0ODI1BHNlYwN0aA--?slug=ap-nhllockout&prov=ap&type=lgns

I place the blame for this whole debacle squarely on Bettman's shoulders. His lack of leadership lead to a situation where rampant expansion and player salaries ran amok and resulted in the season cancellation. I only hope that this all results in league contraction (even if it means losing the Caps) so that we can have a viable product in a couple of years.

The man wouldn't know a hockey puck if it hit him. Too bad that 12 yr old girl in Columbus got hit....it should have been Bettman. He should just go back to the NBA where he belongs.

I guess I'll just up to play on a THIRD team for the summer. I've got to get my fix somehow.....

Guiny

Re: And it's over...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2005, 04:30:00 pm »
I always blame it on the players because in any sport, they are way overpayed as it is.

vansmack

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2005, 04:33:00 pm »
Originally posted by xcanuck:
  I place the blame for this whole debacle squarely on Bettman's shoulders. His lack of leadership lead to a situation where rampant expansion and player salaries ran amok and resulted in the season cancellation. I only hope that this all results in league contraction (even if it means losing the Caps) so that we can have a viable product in a couple of years.
Well said.  All of the mid-sized American cities throwing money at the NHL didn't help either.  Once the US TV deal (ABC/ESPN) was up and hockey was too outstretched to have a solid fan base in the US, the league was doomed.  I feel badly for the Canadians (and I'm not talking about the Hockey team), although I'm sure fans in Quebec and Winnpeg are having the last laugh now.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2005, 04:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rob_Gee:
  I always blame it on the players because in any sport, they are way overpayed as it is.
Exactly.  Because the owners could always use a little more cash.  They're nearly broke.
27>34

BookerT

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2005, 04:35:00 pm »
this was easily the least disappointing caps season ever.

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 04:38:00 pm »
That is true. But after they retire after like 4.2 seasons and a few million earned (and spent), they have to take on stupid jobs like selling dope, playing in has-been charity golf tournaments, being assistant coaches of Pop Warner teams, running their foundations, and owning KFC franchises. Give these gentlemen a break, because their glory years really are small in number.

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2005, 04:43:00 pm »
Two separate studies found that most NHL teams were in the red. Probably because of overpaid players, but perhaps also from snot nosed law students sneaking into games without paying.  ;)  

http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/8-1-04cba.htm

Originally posted by vansmack:

Exactly.  Because the owners could always use a little more cash.  They're nearly broke. [/b]

sonickteam2

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2005, 04:44:00 pm »
I feel like I've been punched in the gut and kicked in the face.

I dont want to pick sides, or point fingers or lay blame...everyone else can do that.

In Canada, hockey is the bond that gives us an identity and a common bond from Vancouver to Nova Scotia (even Newfoundland i suppose).  

In America, hockey is a sport loved by some, not cared a dime about by the rest, but when you have something like that, its more special to those that like it.

If this happened in Baseball or the NFL it would piss of an entire nation, but when it happens in hockey, a small part of the majority lost a large part of thier lives......

Lets all hope they'll find an agreement for next season, and that Barry Melrose doesn't take a header off the Peace Bridge, cause he looked today , like he wanted to.

(and yes, i know baseball almost had replacement players once too)

sonickteam2

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2005, 04:47:00 pm »
Originally posted by Sam Pulsize:
  That is true. But after they retire after like 4.2 seasons and a few million earned (and spent), they have to take on stupid jobs like selling dope, playing in has-been charity golf tournaments, being assistant coaches of Pop Warner teams, running their foundations, and owning KFC franchises. Give these gentlemen a break, because their glory years really are small in number.
rhett, i know you like to comment on everything, regardless how ignorant you are on a topic, but really....you could think of nothing better to type?

Venerable Bede

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2005, 04:47:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:

and that Barry Melrose doesn't take a header off the Peace Bridge, cause he looked today , like he wanted to.

but how was his hair?
OU812

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2005, 04:53:00 pm »
Well I actually started with the line:

I feel like I've been punched in the gut and kicked in the face.

...but I decided to leave the Hollywood blockbuster quality scriptwriting to others...

Originally posted by Sam Pulsize:
rhett, i know you like to comment on everything, regardless how ignorant you are on a topic, but really....you could think of nothing better to type? [/b]

sonickteam2

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2005, 04:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:

and that Barry Melrose doesn't take a header off the Peace Bridge, cause he looked today , like he wanted to.

but how was his hair? [/b]
you would think he would have left it a little desheveled for effect, but no, his hair was miraculous!

Venerable Bede

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2005, 05:10:00 pm »

Originally posted by Venerable Bede:

but how was his hair? [/b]
you would think he would have left it a little desheveled for effect, but no, his hair was miraculous! [/b]
so, he still has the mullet. . .excellent.
OU812

twelsh737

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2005, 05:16:00 pm »
I think this could end up being a good lesson to all sports leagues. But hockey was especially out of control. I don't care how many snow birds move south- there is no reason why Florida, Georgia, and the Carolinas had more teams then New England and the Great Lakes; or the providence of Quebec for that matter.
 I really feel bad for cities like Buffalo were a number of small businesses will probably fold due to this strike.
 If you care check out www.hockeyribbon.com

sonickteam2

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2005, 05:24:00 pm »
I echo this.  

contraction is the way to go here. and while its not like that will solve TOO much, it will solve the problem that because Nashville and Carolina are losing SO much money it makes it look like everyone's doing bad, when teams like Boston, Toronto and Colorado are making money.

I will take out 6 teams, no problem, but can i pick those 6?  probably not. nashville, florida, carolina, phoenix, dallas and tampa bay will do.

but will that really solve the problem?