Author Topic: New My Bloody Valentine album due out this year!  (Read 3868 times)

azaghal1981

New My Bloody Valentine album due out this year!
« on: November 07, 2007, 05:28:00 pm »
Holy shit!

Kevin Shields, the mercurial and elusive leader of My Bloody Valentine, confirmed that the legendary band has reunited in the studio for the first time
 since 1995, recorded new material, and that an album release is forthcoming, possibly as soon as this year. In an exclusive interview set to air Monday,
 Nov. 12 on
 VBS.tv,
 Shields speaks at length with Ian Svenonious on
 Soft Focus
 about his career and art, including some tantalizing hints about the next phase of My Bloody Valentine.

When The Daily Swarm
 first reported
 on the upcoming My Bloody Valentine reunion in August, our sources insisted on remaining anonymous, and Kevin Shields?? own statements came only in the form
 of fans?? personal encounters culled from a variety of message boards. Some accused us of rumormongering (see
 The My Bloody Valentine ??Reunion??: Total Bullshit Or Complete and Total Bullshit?),
 but we were confident in our work and that after years of false starts and dashed hopes, one of our favorite bands of all time was truly gearing up for
 a return to action.

The reunion is, in fact, happening. In the Soft Focus interview ?? Shields?? first on-the-record utterances since last year??s sit-down with Magnet magazine,
 recorded over the summer at a London pub ?? he speaks, albeit briefly, about the band??s return to the studio and how a new record is due sometime before
 the end of this year.

We were making a record in the 90s, around when the band broke up in 1995?and I continued with Belinda. We kinda made we made most of an album?.It??s going
 to be this ??96/??97 record half-finished record finished, and then a compilation of stuff we did before that in 1993??94, and a little bit of new stuff.

I pretty much know what the one that??s going to come out this year is going to sound like because its already pretty much 3/4??s done already?it sounds like
 what we sounded like ?? different but not radically different. People will go, ??Yeah, it sounds like My Bloody Valentine.?

The 30 minute interview is part of the second season of Soft Focus, VBS.tv??s musician interview series hosted by Ian Svenonious. Recorded entirely in London,
 upcoming broadcasts feature in-depth discussions with Penny Rimbaud of Crass; Bobby Gillespie of Primal Scream; Billy Childish; Terry Hall of The Specials;
 Shaun Ryder of Happy Mondays and Graham Coxon out of Blur. The season premiered this week with Svenonious?? interview with The Fall and Von Sudenfed??s Mark
 E. Smith.

While Shields claims a My Bloody Valentine album is due this year, he gives no indication of exactly when or how it will be released. When the group split
 up in 1995 they had already left Creation Records and signed a legendarily ill-fated deal with Island, but it is unlikely that the contract remains in
 effect after all this time. The band recently activated
 mybloodyvalentine.co.uk
 and Shields?? manager confirmed the the site is being built by Debbie Goodge, the band??s bass player. It is possible that the album will see an independent,
 Internet-only, Radiohead style release, and a release date could be announced at any time.

As for My Bloody Valentine??s return to the stage and possible appearance at Coachella 2008, we have no new news to report (the subject does not come up
 in the Soft Focus interview). According to sources close to the band and the festival, discussions are ongoing and no final decisions have yet been made.
احمد

miss pretentious

• ohai.
Re: New My Bloody Valentine album due out this year!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 05:50:00 pm »
i saw this...and got really really excited. mainly because it makes my roller girl name THAT much better.
nothx

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 01:17:00 am »
Originally posted by azaghal1981:
  it sounds like what we sounded like ?? different but not radically different. People will go, ??Yeah, it sounds like My Bloody Valentine.?
the single most over-used line in music journalism ... i wonder if he was being ironic when he said it
(o|o)

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 05:44:00 am »
While yes, the My Bloody Valentine album is definitely being worked on, I can absolutely assure you that it will not be released this year. Let's hope for '08.

Other Shoegaze related news:

Sway have just reformed and will be releasing a new album at some point. Hopefully some live shows will follow.

Curve have no plans to reform though Dean Garcia said it's not an impossibility and might be open for it if the opportunity arises. In the meantime, Dean, along with his daughter Rose and son Harry are working on an album. Their new band is called Spc-Eco and is wonderfully Gazey. They are currently playing shows in and around the London area.

Secret Shine have a new album on its way and will be in the States for 2 weeks culminating at the SXSW Festival next year. That is, if they can get that damn visa that's so difficult for bands to get now.

God Is An Astronaut too should be in the States sometime next year, visa permitting.

azaghal1981

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 12:06:00 pm »
Seth needs to book an MBV/JAMC/Swervedriver show at Merriweather this summer.
احمد

jd930

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 12:10:00 pm »
drool

bearman🐻

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 12:11:00 pm »
Naw...he needs to book it at the 9:30. 3 nights in a row. Each band can headline a different night. And there will be a special mystery guest band each night. I vote for the reunions of Curve, Catherine Wheel and Ride.

azaghal1981

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 12:17:00 pm »
I'd take Slowdive over the Catherine Wheel.
احمد

bearman🐻

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 12:20:00 pm »
Blasphemy...Slowdive is a great band, but Catherine Wheel really were awesome. Especially all those "Ferment"-era b-sides like "Collideoscopic" and the Painful Thing EP. The original 12" version of "She's My Friend" gets played at least once a week. Great stuff.

Jaguar

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 09:23:00 am »
ATP Concerts are very proud to present my bloody valentine who will
 return to play in Summer 2008 across the UK. The band will take to three
 cities London, Manchester and Glasgow.

The following three dates have been announced:

Friday 20th June - London - The Roundhouse
 Saturday 28th June - Manchester - Apollo
 Wednesday 2nd July - Glasgow - Barrowland

Tickets go on-sale this Friday, November 16th. Tickets for all shows
 will be available at www.seetickets.com and venue box offices.

London - The Roundhouse
 A: Chalk Farm Road, London, NW1 8EH
 T: 0870 389 1846
 W: www.roundhouse.org.uk
 £25 + BF

Manchester Apollo
 A: Stockport Road Manchester, Lancashire, Manchester, M12 6AP
 T: 0871 424 4444
 W: www.carling.com/music/venue/manchester_apollo.html
 £22.50 + BF

Glasgow Barrowland
 A: Barrowland Ballroom, 244 Gallowgate, Glasgow, G4 OTS
 T: 0141 552 4601
 W: www.glasgow-barrowland.com
 £22.50 + BF

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 09:33:00 am »
so a ticket costs you 25 pounds, and your boyfriend?!?

i know several people who could stand to lose both 25 pounds and a boyfriend...
<sig>

Jaguar

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 09:47:00 am »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
  so a ticket costs you 25 pounds, and your boyfriend?!?

i know several people who could stand to lose both 25 pounds and a boyfriend...
I'm sure that's the English way of saying massively over-bloated fuck you fan surcharges.

Epstein

• http://www.hit-dat.com
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2007, 10:33:00 am »
im seriously going to try to go to the june 20th date

holy shit
Kill the sound: <A HREF="Http://www.hit-dat.com" TARGET=_blank>http://Http://www.hit-dat.com[/url]

Epstein

• http://www.hit-dat.com
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2007, 10:46:00 am »
anyone know where the best place to find cheap tix to london?
Kill the sound: <A HREF="Http://www.hit-dat.com" TARGET=_blank>http://Http://www.hit-dat.com[/url]

Jaguar

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2007, 10:49:00 am »
Do you realize (no MBV pun intended) that you will not only be competing with much of London and the entire United Kingdom for tickets but the entire freaking world? "Cheap" is not an option.

Good luck!

If my job paid more than a pittance, I too would join the mad, mad rushing battle.