Author Topic: ??I could probably outdo The White Stripes with a guitar  (Read 16293 times)

you be betty

  • Member
  • Posts: 1920
    • flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
Re: ??I could probably outdo The White Stripes with a guitar
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2006, 01:14:00 pm »
i think one of the main things it's doing is forging an even further separation between the "mainstream" and the "non mainstream," which makes it even harder for new ideas to appear in the forefront because we've become so unaccepting of stuff like that.

Re: ??I could probably outdo The White Stripes with a guitar
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2006, 01:17:00 pm »
Off of the top of my head, in no particular order:
 
 Jason Isbell, Drive By Truckers
 Grant Tye from Robbie Fulks' band (though Robbie Fulks is an amazing acoustic picker in his own right)
 Vinicius Cantuaria
 Junior Brown
 Cody Kilby from Ricky Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder (though he doesn't touch Ricky Skaggs' mandolin playing)
 
 
Quote
Originally posted by the sonick:
   
Quote
Originally posted by Chaz Nakatestes, Breaststroking Guy:
  So do you think this reflects:
 
 a. the lack of fine guitarists in the last decade
 b. your limited exposure to music
 c. the fact that you've probably been listening to music  seriously for way less than a decade.
 
 ???
 
   
Quote
Originally posted by you be betty:
    i think Jack White is one of the finest guitarists that has come out of the last decade.  
[/b]
so rhett
 
  who ARE the best guitarists to come out of the last decade?  
   
  since you clearly have more exposure to music, more discerning taste AND have been actively seeking out all sorts of music since you were conceived.....
 
  so since 1995....name your top 5. [/b]

sonickteam2

  • Guest
Re: ??I could probably outdo The White Stripes with a guitar
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2006, 01:21:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa08:
   
Quote
Originally posted by the sonick:
 i bet if the who came out now, many people on this board would claim them to be crap.
really?  i think there's a lot of power pop fans on this board, and early who is basically quintessential power pop ... not sure what you mean here [/b]
i didnt say everyone would bash em.

sonickteam2

  • Guest
Re: ??I could probably outdo The White Stripes with a guitar
« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2006, 01:26:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by Chaz Nakatestes, Breaststroking Guy:
  Off of the top of my head, in no particular order:
 
 Jason Isbell, Drive By Truckers
 Grant Tye from Robbie Fulks' band (though Robbie Fulks is an amazing acoustic picker in his own right)
 Vinicius Cantuaria
 Junior Brown
 Cody Kilby from Ricky Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder (though he doesn't touch Ricky Skaggs' mandolin playing)
 
i'll give you the DBT guy...maybe in a tie.
 
   Junior Brown ???  
 
 
 so either
 
 A) you are hard of hearing
 
 b) you like name dropping Brazilian guitarists
 
 c) you havent closely listened to jack white.

Venerable Bede

  • Member
  • Posts: 3863
Re: ??I could probably outdo The White Stripes with a guitar
« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2006, 01:27:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa08:
   
Quote
Originally posted by the sonick:
 i bet if the who came out now, many people on this board would claim them to be crap.
really?  i think there's a lot of power pop fans on this board, and early who is basically quintessential power pop ... not sure what you mean here [/b]
actually, i think lots of people would say they are ripping off GBV.    :)
OU812

HoyaSaxa03

  • Member
  • Posts: 7053
Re: ??I could probably outdo The White Stripes with a guitar
« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2006, 01:39:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
 actually, i think lots of people would say they are ripping off GBV.     :)  
maybe just one  :D  
 
 http://www.last.fm/user/pdxpollard/
(o|o)

Jaguar

  • Member
  • Posts: 3869
    • Air Atlantic Underground
Re: ??I could probably outdo The White Stripes with a guitar
« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2006, 01:41:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by you be betty:
  i think one of the main things it's doing is forging an even further separation between the "mainstream" and the "non mainstream," which makes it even harder for new ideas to appear in the forefront because we've become so unaccepting of stuff like that.
Speaking of Mainstream and older rock, Mainstream music was a much, much different animal back then than it is now. There use to be lots of great music and deep album tracks often aired on Mainstream radio or in other media, even though we had much less of it (different forms of media). Now it's so filtered that we are forced to search for the sort of music that any of us personally want to hear rather than what the media would prefer us to hear. Yes, there was still an incredible amount of dirty controls back then but they tended to offer us music that was closer to what the rockers wanted to hear. I may not have worded that all that well but I suspect you get my idea.
#609

ggw

  • Member
  • Posts: 14237
Re: ??I could probably outdo The White Stripes with a guitar
« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2006, 01:42:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by you be betty:
  i think one of the main things it's doing is forging an even further separation between the "mainstream" and the "non mainstream," which makes it even harder for new ideas to appear in the forefront because we've become so unaccepting of stuff like that.
That's a cyclical thing.  Eventually people get tired of the mainstream styles and then the non-mainstream comes to the fore, becomes the new mainstream, wash, rinse, repeat...

Jaguar

  • Member
  • Posts: 3869
    • Air Atlantic Underground
Re: ??I could probably outdo The White Stripes with a guitar
« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2006, 01:44:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by ggw?:
   
Quote
Originally posted by you be betty:
  i think one of the main things it's doing is forging an even further separation between the "mainstream" and the "non mainstream," which makes it even harder for new ideas to appear in the forefront because we've become so unaccepting of stuff like that.
That's a cyclical thing.  Eventually people get tired of the mainstream styles and then the non-mainstream comes to the fore, becomes the new mainstream, wash, rinse, repeat... [/b]
Sounds exactly like Benjamin Britton's theory of revolution. But I agree.
#609

HoyaSaxa03

  • Member
  • Posts: 7053
Re: ??I could probably outdo The White Stripes with a guitar
« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2006, 01:44:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by ggw?:
 then the non-mainstream comes to the fore, becomes the new mainstream
wait for it .......
(o|o)

Sage 703

  • Member
  • Posts: 1710
Re: ??I could probably outdo The White Stripes with a guitar
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2006, 01:49:00 pm »
Okay, guitarists since '95?  
 
 Are we talking like killer lead players, or just great guitarists that I rank ahead of Jack White?
 
 in no order:
 
 *Josh Garza of the Secret Machines
 
 *Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead (The Bends was released in '95, and this my be one of my favorite guitar records of all time; not to mention OK Computer in '97)
 
 *Matthew Bellamy of MUSE
 
 *Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine
 
 *Efrim Menuck of Godspeed You Black Emperor
 
 *Travis Stever/Claudio Sanchez of Coheed & Cambria
 
 *Bill Kelliher of Mastodon
 
 *Billy Corgan
 
 *Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age
 
 and as much as I hate them, the dude from the Darkness can shred.

sonickteam2

  • Guest
Re: ??I could probably outdo The White Stripes with a guitar
« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2006, 01:52:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by callat703:
  Okay, guitarists since '95?  
 
 Are we talking like killer lead players, or just great guitarists that I rank ahead of Jack White?
 
 in no order:
 
 *Josh Garza of the Secret Machines
 
 *Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead (The Bends was released in '95, and this my be one of my favorite guitar records of all time; not to mention OK Computer in '97)
 
 *Matthew Bellamy of MUSE
 
 *Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine
 
 *Efrim Menuck of Godspeed You Black Emperor
 
 *Travis Stever/Claudio Sanchez of Coheed & Cambria
 
 *Bill Kelliher of Mastodon
 
 *Billy Corgan
 
 *Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age
 
 and as much as I hate them, the dude from the Darkness can shred.
billy , johnny and tom were before 1995
 
  but in the 90s.
 
  and yes, Matthew Bellamy is better than Jack White, and so is Johnny Greenwood.

sonickteam2

  • Guest
Re: ??I could probably outdo The White Stripes with a guitar
« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2006, 01:53:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by callat703:
  Okay, guitarists since '95?  
 
 Are we talking like killer lead players, or just great guitarists that I rank ahead of Jack White?
 
 in no order:
 
 *Josh Garza of the Secret Machines
 
 *Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead (The Bends was released in '95, and this my be one of my favorite guitar records of all time; not to mention OK Computer in '97)
 
 *Matthew Bellamy of MUSE
 
 *Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine
 
 *Efrim Menuck of Godspeed You Black Emperor
 
 *Travis Stever/Claudio Sanchez of Coheed & Cambria
 
 *Bill Kelliher of Mastodon
 
 *Billy Corgan
 
 *Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age
 
 and as much as I hate them, the dude from the Darkness can shred.
billy , johnny and tom were before 1995
 
  but in the 90s.
 
  and yes, Matthew Bellamy is better than Jack White, and so is Johnny Greenwood.

Sage 703

  • Member
  • Posts: 1710
Re: ??I could probably outdo The White Stripes with a guitar
« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2006, 01:56:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by the sonick:
  [/qb]
billy , johnny and tom were before 1995
 
  but in the 90s.
 
  and yes, Matthew Bellamy is better than Jack White, and so is Johnny Greenwood. [/QB][/QUOTE]
 
 
 well, yes, they had albums before '95, but they also had killer guitar records after '95.  Same with John Frusciante.

Jaguar

  • Member
  • Posts: 3869
    • Air Atlantic Underground
Re: ??I could probably outdo The White Stripes with a guitar
« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2006, 01:56:00 pm »
Man, I'm not even going to get caught in this trap. There were plenty of truly great guitarists in the past covering all genres just as there are plenty today and we will continue to spawn plenty more of them.
 
 What we sometimes fail to remember is that generations, or groups of people, change and they too want their music in their moment and some of those will be the very ones to, at some point, be added to someone's list of greats.
#609