Author Topic: â??I could probably outdo The White Stripes with a guitar  (Read 16484 times)

nkotb

Re: â??I could probably outdo The White Stripes with a guitar
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2006, 12:27:00 pm »
I think it's that the White Stripes are, so far, one trick ponies.

These arguments are completely pointless, though.  The Who have a shitload of time on their side, as well as the added benefit of having been creating rock during it's infancy (or at least it's toddler-hood).  

Not that I think the White Stripes will be remembered like the Who are/will be, but hindsight is 20/20 on a bands impact and longevity.  Besides, how's a band supposed to break any boundaries when all of they're all already been broken?

Originally posted by HoyaSaxa08:

Originally posted by you be betty:
  you're right.  and so, what do we conclude?
that you're wrong.     ;)  

i actually don't remember what we were arguing about [/b]

Sage 703

« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2006, 12:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by nkotb:

These arguments are completely pointless, though.    

you're right.  and so, what do we conclude?
that you're wrong.      ;)    

i actually don't remember what we were arguing about [/b]
[/b]
Not "completely pointless," as this has kept me amused at work for the last 30 minutes.  And that, my friends, is a completely worthwhile point.

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2006, 12:44:00 pm »
want to fill out a biology chart for me next?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2006, 12:51:00 pm »
this maybe a lame attempt at stirring it up again but...

the last guitarists that were "godz" to me were Will Sergeant then Johnny Marr then John Squire... coinciding with the arrival of Brit Pop it's been the songwriting and talent of the entire group that has been of most importance to me. can't honestly think of one guitarist that has made me want to listen to a particular group.  for me now a days it's all about the drummer especially for live settings.

ironic that a discussing about "shedding guitarist" involves townshend who is pretty much just a rhythm guitar play with the odd lead line..
T.Rex

sonickteam2

« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2006, 12:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by Chaz Nakatestes, Breaststroking Guy:
  So do you think this reflects:

a. the lack of fine guitarists in the last decade
 b. your limited exposure to music
 c. the fact that you've probably been listening to music  seriously for way less than a decade.

???

i think Jack White is one of the finest guitarists that has come out of the last decade.  
[/b]
so rhett

who ARE the best guitarists to come out of the last decade?  

since you clearly have more exposure to music, more discerning taste AND have been actively seeking out all sorts of music since you were conceived.....

so since 1995....name your top 5.

sonickteam2

« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2006, 12:53:00 pm »

Originally posted by callat703:
  I wouldn't argue that the Who have a trademark sound.  I couldn't begin to describe the Who in a sentence or two, but I think I could do that for the White Stripes.
i'd have to agree with this ... just a quick browse through a "best of" who comp shows a lot of remarkably diverse "sounds" from different eras ... it'd be easy to pin their sound down as kind of power pop from 65-67, but after that they branched out a lot ... much more diverse than most seminal bands [/b]
i bet if the who came out now, many people on this board would claim them to be crap.

you be betty

« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2006, 12:57:00 pm »
oh no doubt.  they broke new ground at the time, and that ground has already been broken.  there isn't even a whole lot of remaining ground to break anymore, is there?  
 i sometimes worry about the fate of music--even art, in general.  because once it's all been said and done...what can you do?

Sage 703

« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2006, 12:58:00 pm »
  i sometimes worry about the fate of music--even art, in general.  because once it's all been said and done...what can you do?
people have been saying this for hundreds of years.

you be betty

« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2006, 01:04:00 pm »
yes, but a hundred years ago they weren't living in a digital age.  seriously...we can re-create nearly everything now, down to a tee.  just a thought.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2006, 01:07:00 pm »
  oh no doubt.  they broke new ground at the time, and that ground has already been broken.  there isn't even a whole lot of remaining ground to break anymore, is there?  
there is no such thing as art anymore. . .i think the dadaists pretty much proved that.
OU812

ggw

« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2006, 01:08:00 pm »
New things always pop up.  They aren't always new things, but ways of making people look at the same things in different ways.

Go to the Warehouse and see one of those "washboard and saucepan" shows that Snailhook puts on.  Plenty of new and different stuff is out there, it's just that most people won't find it until it's on Seth Cohen's iPod.

nkotb

« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2006, 01:09:00 pm »
Not that I honestly think nothing new will ever happen in the world of rock 'n roll, but you have to   balance innovation with mass appeal, I think.  Sure, new things are being done; look at a lot of the improv and freeform music that snailhook books.  But unless people hear it and then appreciate and accept it into the mainstream, does it really matter in the grand scheme of things?

I'm asking in hopes of getting some thoughts, because personally I find it to be a mixed bag.

Originally posted by callat703:

people have been saying this for hundreds of years. [/b]

sonickteam2

« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2006, 01:10:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  it's just that most people won't find it until it's on Seth Cohen's iPod.
haha, who's seth cohen?

ggw

« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2006, 01:12:00 pm »
Originally posted by the sonick:

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  it's just that most people won't find it until it's on Seth Cohen's iPod.
haha, who's seth cohen? [/b]
He's this dude in California

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2006, 01:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by the sonick:
 i bet if the who came out now, many people on this board would claim them to be crap.
really?  i think there's a lot of power pop fans on this board, and early who is basically quintessential power pop ... not sure what you mean here
(o|o)