Author Topic: Warehouse Next Door  (Read 82324 times)

shoot ur shot

Re: Warehouse Next Door
« Reply #120 on: August 26, 2005, 01:42:00 pm »
keeeeen skeeee 2NITE.. the heavens will burnnnn

snailhook

« Reply #121 on: August 26, 2005, 01:52:00 pm »
Saturday, August 27
 $8, all ages
 doors at 8:30, show at 9

OCTOBER 31 (members of Deceased, Thrash Corner Records)
 http://www.truemetal.org/october31/

This is October 31's first show in DC in a while! The band features King Fowley from Deceased on vocals, and if you caught him with Deceased at the Warehouse Next Door, a few months back, you sure as hell don't want to miss this. These thrash titans bring some serious power metal comparable to early Overkill mixed with early Twisted Sister. Too much metal for one hand! COMMIT TO SIN!

ECLIPTIC
 http://www.theeclipticpath.com www.myspace.com/ecliptic

Markus Von Hampel (guitar/vocals) and Sidney L Mortensen II (percussion) formed the death/black metal band, Ecliptic, soon after meeting. A demo CD was created in 1999/2000 and released in the spring of 2001. A full-length album was recorded in 2004 and is set to be released in 2005. Ecliptic expanded the band by adding David Everett (lead guitar) in 2002. After an extensive search for a bassist, Nicholas Kuhn is found and joins in 2004. Shortly after Nicholas joins, Jaclyn Davis fills the lineup with lead vocals. Ecliptic is working on a second full-length and new songs will be posted soon.

BEATEN BACK TO PURE http://www.beatenbacktopure.com

"'Trailer-core' was the only term I could come up for this hazy Southern slab of fuzzed-out, earthy metal. Equal parts sludgy, hazy doom-rock and groovy southern hardcore, BBTP have released an album that comes across as Crowbar and Floodgate meets Eyehategod and Down while in a Jack Daniels and Darvocet-induced stupor and simply oozes character from every alcohol-soaked pore. Sweaty, oily, and hairy, BBTP are metal rednecks with a mission to simply play a music that mixes the South??s bluesy heritage with a harsher, gritty metal sound, and it works so perfectly I found myself wearing flannel, chewing tobacco, and I installed a gun rack in my Honda Civic. The riffs are thicker than swamp water and equally infectious, all laced with Ben??s whiskey-ripened roar and sometimes soulful back-porch croon. The mood of the album is a tangible humidity and grime than puts you in the Bayou backwater while wearing spikes and bullet belts, the mix of metal and fuzzed-out Southern hostility is superbly rendered and each track is a swarthy, groove-laden dirge of incest, stale beer, and gator-fuckin?? Southern pride. Unashamed of their origin, the General Lee aesthetic of the artwork carries over into the material that??s awash with grimy layers of stoner doom but often rife with a heavier, more abrasive manifestation that gives the album some Skoal-induced bite. The pacing starts with surprising immediacy as ??America Vermin? tumbles from the speakers with a rock 'n' roll gait smothered in hot sauce and saliva. But the rest of the album is more of a sonic hangover with a far more drawn-out pace and plenty of appropriately Southern bridges and acoustic interludes that enforces the heaving Swampish atmosphere. ??Smothered in Sundress? starts off with a surprisingly articulate intro before the song explodes with a crushing groove and metal square dance face-off that??s only missing a fiddle and some teeth to make it true hick-core. ??Hell Goes Thru Hanging Dog? highlights Ben's almost Jan De Koeyer-like (Gorefest-circa Erase) growl along with his suitably bluesy drone that could be from any Down album. Now fear not, The Burning South isn??t all just murky, pot-hazed doom, as there are some Crowbar-like moments of sheer oppressive weight as heard on ??One Shovel and a Place to Die? and its gargantuan main riff. The slight injections of acoustic flair complete the album??s redneck pretense without overdoing it, as they add just enough deep-fried ambiance to give the album heaps of atmosphere amid the slovenly hardcore guise. ??Where the Sewer Meets the Sea? and ??Pillars of Tomorrow, Piles of Yesterday? are the albums most truly white trash-core, gravy-soaked offerings with plenty of soulful, clean gregariousness from Ben but both settle into gaping maws of drawn-out sludge. The only thing missing is a cover of ??Sweet Home Alabama? to make this album any more Southern, but the rocking instrumental ??Vertigo? is close enough and the brilliantly named album closer ??Running Out of Neck? rumbles with the resonance of an idling Fat Boy before it closes with what can only described as an epically southern, throat-clearing warmth. Beaten Back to Pure??s ??Dixie core? is a fine offering that mixes a massive Bourbon-induced hangover with a 3-day meth binge into one brawling sonic expulsion. Often lulling and hazy, but equally as attention-getting as a knuckle duster to the face, The Burning South is perfect for those who wish Down were a tad heavier and Crowbar would have a little more variety. You??uns better get this ??ere album, ya hear?" (Erik Thomas, www.digitalmetal.com)

WITHERED (ex-Social Infestation, ex-Leechmilk) http://www.withered.net

"Brutal music out of Georgia. The Demonstration CD features 3 tracks from the forthcoming 5-song EP Order Born From Chaos. Withered, formed in 2003, features Chris Freeman and Mike Thompson of the crust-punk/grindcore outfit Social Infestation in control of some very heavy guitar and gruff vocal duties. Leaning toward death and black metal, these songs destroy. Holding up the rhythm section are Wes Kever (Puaka Balava) on drums and former Leechmilk bassist Greg Hess, who they recruited at a show in the basement of Brent Hinds (Mastodon). What does this mean? Face-melting power grind worthy of high praise. All 3 songs contain intriguing structure. They sway from full-on grind, power-crust to a heavy sludge melody. Nice guitar work. This could very well be the heaviest band ever!" (Bobby, Boggob Magazine)

MAGRUDERGRIND (return from tour show!)

"It is hard to type when your whole body is thrashing to and fro in an involuntary reaction brought on by eight tracks of brain-blistering power violence-influenced grind. So many bands are trying to take grind to new levels; it is refreshing to hear a band whose only "level" is leveling their listeners. MAGRUDERGRIND unleash their audio audacity with absolute abandon. This is the kind of extreme grind that probably first turned you on to the genre. This is the power violence sound that you thought was long gone anywhere outside of Japan. Buy this. Listen to it. Try and keep your neck from snapping and your arms from flailing. I dare you." (Mindspell Webzine, www.mindspell.org)

and from the City Paper:

The Southern sludge-metal band Beaten Back to Pure was a central player in one of the more fascinating rock happenings I??ve witnessed. BBTP was but one of many bands slated to play in a festival here last year. One of the preceding acts took a break in the middle of its set to berate the bewhiskered Beaten members for their frequent use of the Flag That Shall Not Be Waved. (Now, in case there is any doubt as to the band??s aesthetic, sample album titles include Southern Apocalypse and The Burning South.) The offended opening band not only called BBTP out as hillbilly hatemongers but also went on to say that it would never again play with a band that flew the Stars and Bars. (Guitarist Vince Burke is pictured.) At this point, a plant in the audience raised her fist and incitingly yelled, ??Long live the New South,? a phrase I had never actually heard said in earnest??even when I was a Kappa Alpha pledge. Suffice it to say that the men of BBTP promptly renounced their cracker ways, joined hands, and sang a stirring rendition of ??Ebony and Ivory,? and racism was finally cured. OK, they actually ignored the statements and unrepentantly barrelled through a bludgeoning set heavier than all the Fabulous Freebirds?? songs put together. A band that looks like Antiseen??s little brothers and sounds like Molly Hatchet??s Danny Joe Brown having a hoedown with Pig Destroyer doesn??t really care much for the opinion of others. So, after you finish protesting the antebellum bullshit of The Dukes of Hazzard, come continue the discourse with the good ol?? boys of BBTP. Beaten Back to Pure plays with October 31, Ecliptic, Withered, and Magrudergrind at 9 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 27, at the Warehouse Next Door, 1017 7th St. NW. $8. (202) 783-3933. (David Dunlap Jr.)

sonicyouth42

« Reply #122 on: August 30, 2005, 12:23:00 pm »
1.  So is this place located right at Massachusetts Ave. and 7th street?

2.  What's the best idea for parking?

ggw

« Reply #123 on: August 30, 2005, 12:29:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonicyouth42:
Just above New York and 7th actually.  New York is a block above Mass.

I've only been there twice, but haven't had trouble with street parking.

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #124 on: August 30, 2005, 12:48:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggw?:

I've only been there twice, but haven't had trouble with street parking. [/b]
I've had problems on Friday and Saturday nights when I arrived on the late side. Arrive early.

jkeisenh

« Reply #125 on: August 30, 2005, 01:32:00 pm »

oh, my turn!  my turn!

the best idea for parking is your nearest metro station.  warehouse is one block away from the mt vernon square metro station.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #126 on: August 30, 2005, 02:02:00 pm »
shouldn't have any trouble on the street. i parked right in front of the warehouse last time i went. got there pretty early, i was all paranoid about not getting to see enon, though
o/\o

sonicyouth42

« Reply #127 on: August 30, 2005, 07:20:00 pm »
So, any word on how much the Xiu Xiu show will cost?  Should I be OK for tickets if I get there around 6:30?

shoot ur shot

« Reply #128 on: August 30, 2005, 07:32:00 pm »
6:30 is way too early. id say, 7:30 at the earliest although youll still probably be waiting for another hour or more to get in only to wait another hour for any music to start. hope yer bringin someone along to help pass the time.

snailhook

« Reply #129 on: August 30, 2005, 07:40:00 pm »
the show will be $7.

mike kanin's write-up on the show, though i have to respectfully disagree with his thoughts regarding noise.

Noise music: There are so many easy, obvious beefs to have with it. And sure, some of it is flat-out crap??a boring, muddled beard that can con bored music-nerd into believing that layers of digital distortion make up for putting in no more than a passing effort. But not every DIY noisenik is an unprepared, lazy piece of shit. And at its best, some of the stuff that gets made is actually interesting. As for Yellow Swans, to judge by the beats emerging from the feedback, the might-as-well-be-Brooklyn-based act is certainly better than some. Still, the band members?? habit of letting their thing go on for 12 not-so-developed minutes is a bit much. And the inevitable pretension that goes with such things??check out the ??lyrics? on the back of Bring the Neon War Home??is gag-inducing. That one Pitchfork writer called that recording ??heady shit? is in and of itself a warning that maybe there??s not much to the thing. Not that there??s really all that much to the genre. Still, when the pulsating strands of noise do crack your skull enough to warrant praise, that??s really all that matters. And by that measure, Yellow Swans are slowly, painfully getting there. Yellow Swans play with Xiu Xiu and Nedelle at 8:30 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 31, at the Warehouse Next Door, 1017 7th St. NW. $7. (202) 783-3933. (Mike Kanin)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #130 on: August 30, 2005, 11:49:00 pm »
  So, any word on how much the Xiu Xiu show will cost?  Should I be OK for tickets if I get there around 6:30?
i really hope this xiu xiu show goes well for you, seems like you've spent the past two months on here fretting about it
(o|o)

shoot ur shot

« Reply #131 on: August 31, 2005, 02:26:00 pm »
the show is now 8 bucks. round up them pennies.

snailhook

« Reply #132 on: August 31, 2005, 07:47:00 pm »
OK, so John Brannon's in town. This should translate into 500 music geeks lining up outside the Warehouse at 6pm to make sure they get in, but it doesn't, sadly. I'm not gonna get on my soapbox and give a history lesson, but i need to say that this is the man whose voice influenced a generation and more of hardcore, noise rock, and even grunge. He is the American punk underground's equivalent to Nick Cave. You should be there.

Friday, September 2
 $7, all ages
 doors at 9:30, show at 10

Easy Action (ex-Negative Approach/Laughing Hyenas!, Reptilian Records)
 The Old Haunts (Kill Rock Stars, ex-Excuse 17/Two Ton Boa/The Serum Greys)
 The Blast of Valour (DC post-punk instrumental rawk, like The Fucking Champs meets Deerhoof)

Easy Action
 http://www.easyaction.org

As raw as open-heart surgery on a subway train, John Brannon's caged lynx howl found its third release valve with Easy Action. The former Laughing Hyenas and Negative Approach vocalist has here added guitar to his repertoire, even if only to augment the depth of the band's sound.

In the early '80s, Brannon's uncompromising, pointedly aggressive Detroit hardcore outfit Negative Approach, along with Boston acts like SSD and DYS and D.C. groups like Minor Threat, Bad Brains, and S.O.A., established the paradigm for American hardcore music. Negative Approach was just that: the sonic equivalent of a chair through a window, with Brannon venting and ranting frustratedly and indeed, negatively. With the termination of the band in the mid-'80s, Brannon, with guitarist Larissa Strickland, founded the equally devastating ??- though roots-inspired ??- noise punk-blues hybrid Laughing Hyenas, a band often cited for its influence on punk, indie rock, and grunge from the early '90s onward. The Hyenas were a more apt vehicle for Brannon's tortured baritone; he has truly been blessed with an excellent, terribly authentic vocal range and feel, moving from a throaty scream to blues crooning in the space of half a measure, unselfconsciously, and without contrivance.

After a spell of five CDs and numerous tours, the Hyenas called it quits. A few years later, Brannon, along with former Hyenas bassist Ron Sakowski ??- who also worked with the Necros -?? formed Easy Action, a blend of amped-up Detroit garage rock, the rusty-nail blues of the Hyenas, and the scraped-knuckle aggression of Negative Approach. Easy Action proved to be a way for Brannon to howl as demonically as he had in the early and mid-'80s and still croon when the mood struck. The band released its first two singles on Reptilian Records in 2000, then followed a year later with a self-titled album, also on Reptilian. (All Music Guide)

The Old Haunts
 http://www.oldhaunts.com

Fallow Field is Old Haunts' Kill Rock Stars debut, consisting of two previous EPs from the Olympia stomp rockers with six new tracks added. It's sorta country, this band's stuff, with Craig Extine's slippery yowl out front of spindly guitars and the kind of rhythm that only requires one big kick drum. (Though there's a snare too, and at least one cymbal.) "Deflect It" and "Boots Are Clubs" are great distillations of this. But Old Haunts also have a punk sensibility in the vein of the Wipers or Chicago's Drapes -- intriguingly rough edges, and songs that are tossed-off but still dangerous. "By the Bay"'s pace is hyper and impatient, "Old World" adds rickety farmhouse piano to a typically tense pacific northwest indie rattle, and "You Could Never Know" only needs slashing guitar and the choppy reports of a snare to make Extine's vocal sound perfect and urgent. Fallow Field is only about a half-hour-long, and rarely wavers from its favorite sound, staccato guitar notes pecking at muddy but expressive basslines. (See "Cult Baby.") But despite their limitations, Old Haunts bring a cool sense of creakiness to their songs. "Walk Through the Woods" is aptly named -- Fallow Field sounds like hill people's punk rock. (All Music Guide)

The Blast of Valour
 http://www.theblastofvalour.com

This instrumental rock onslaught of epic proportions specializes in melting faces. They can most easily be compared to The Fucking Champs with healthy doses of pop melodicism, punk and rock 'n' roll drive, and Deerhoof-esque quirkiness. Jeff was always a rock drummer but is also an electronic composer. Tom started out with jazz saxophone as his concentration among a dozen other instruments. Nick was a jazz guitarist and rockabilly fan, and Ben was a young history teacher at their high school in DC, pining for a band that took rock as seriously as he wanted. Both now play guitar and bass for The Blast of Valour. Tom started writing songs last year, which turned into a portfolio and a kickass band. Together now for more than a year, they have performed at small, rockin' clubs around DC and recorded a demo.

snailhook

« Reply #133 on: September 01, 2005, 12:29:00 pm »
damn this show is gonna be good...possible negative approach covers! from the baltimore city paper interview:

??I??ve never had a problem with my voice,? says Detroit vocalist John Brannon, when asked whether his ferocious singing has caused any physical damage. ??It feels stronger than ever. I really feel like there??s nothing holding me back. I??ve still got some batteries left, and I think I can do this for a while.?

Brannon??s lung-depleting howl, equal parts primal power and melodic reach, has ripped air for nearly 25 years, first with hardcore pioneers Negative Approach, then with blues-punkers Laughing Hyenas, and now with the steamrolling quartet Easy Action. That Brannon??s intense roar has survived this long is pretty miraculous. ??I don??t know what else to do,? he admits. ??My mother still says, ??When are you going to get a job??? and I always say, ??Mom, I??m a singer!???

On Friends of Rock and Roll, Easy Action??s 2005 album on Baltimore??s Reptilian Records, Brannon darts from slithery croon (??There Was a Time?) to slamming screech (??Get the Fuck Out of My Way?) to harrowing rage (??Kool Aide,? which drags the Stooges?? ??Little Doll? through a dark tunnel of violent Brannon screams). While the band??s self-titled 2001 debut shone like hot chrome, Friends feels looser and more lived-in, like a well-worn leather jacket. It??s impressive given the group??s tumultuous history.

??We just couldn??t hold the band together, because nobody wanted to tour. People my age really don??t want to get in the van,? Brannon says. ??But I don??t want to just play weekend shows in Detroit. I want to take this to the streets and show people how we rock. The lineup??s steady now, everybody??s up for touring, and we??re all really in tune to what we??re doing.?

The rough swagger of Friends of Rock and Roll reflects the spontaneity of its recording session, helmed by Detroit veteran Jim Diamond (White Stripes, Dirtbombs). The lurching ??What??s Going Down? was built from a single riff minutes before it was recorded, while the anthemic title track employs an impromptu choir to buttress Brannon??s heroic bellow. ??A friend of ours was planning to visit the studio after a night at a bar, and somehow word got around the bar,? Brannon recounts. ??The next thing I knew, 20 kids walked in with him. So we said to them, ??OK, you can hang out, but you??ve gotta help us sing this song.?? And it worked out great.?

Brannon began Easy Action with guitarist Harold Richardson in 1998 during the demise of Laughing Hyenas. ??Harold and I were just messing around, doing ??70s glam covers,? Brannon recalls. ??At some point I realized the Hyenas were not getting back together, and I was getting itchy. I??ve been touring for so long, and once you stop you really miss it. I felt like I had something more to say.?

Initially, Brannon also played guitar. ??I never did that in Negative Approach or the Hyenas, though I always wrote songs on guitar,? he says. ??But as the songwriting [in Easy Action] got going, we really only needed one guitar. Plus, I needed to concentrate on my vocals, to put on a crazier performance. The way I sing I need to have nothing holding me back??to be able to break some stuff and pump people up.?

With current bassist Tony Romeo and drummer Matt Becker, Brannon and Richardson have honed a tough, frantic sound that evokes numerous legendary bands from their hometown. ??Growing up in Detroit in the early ??70s, bands that people regard as major influences were just local bands to me,? Brannon says. ??The Stooges, Alice Cooper, MC5, John Lee Hooker, even Motown, I got saturated with that stuff. So I thought music was like that everywhere.? But Easy Action??s noisy edges place the band squarely in the current Motor City milieu. ??We??re friends with Wolf Eyes, we really like playing with them,? Brannon says. ??Same with Human Eye, the new band of Timmy ??Vulgar? Lampinen from the Clone Defects. All the bands around here, we all go to the same bars, we all hang out.?

Still, the road is Brannon??s true home. ??We??re excited to play anywhere we can,? he says. ??I??ve been lucky??because of Negative Approach and the Hyenas, my demographic is like 15 to 50. I still get kids that were checking me out years ago. A lot of them want to talk to me about Negative Approach, and I don??t have a problem with that. It??s cool that they still remember who the fuck I am. And I think they dig Easy Action, too, once they??ve seen it. We??re older, we hit it at a different angle, but we try to show them something they??ve never seen.?

Negative Approach songs have even shown up in Easy Action??s live set. ??Yeah, if the mood??s right, we??ll kick some NA at the end of the show,? Brannon says. ??I have a whole new audience of kids finding out about that, and they never saw those songs performed.?

For those looking to learn more, earlier this year Reptilian issued the exhilarating Negative Approach CD Ready to Fight, featuring demos and live recordings from Brannon??s vaults. ??Chris X was really on my butt to get it together, because I was being kind of lazy about it,? Brannon says of Reptilian??s owner. ??I finally went to my mom??s house and dug up all the old tapes and put the best of what I had on there. There had been some bootlegs, and they were pretty crappy, so it was relieving to finally get it out.?

After its current tour, Easy Action plans on immediately writing and recording a new album, followed by more shows. For Brannon, there are no alternatives. ??I would??ve hung up the towel by now if I didn??t want to do this, but I??m too deep into it to turn back,? he says. ??If I have to do the John Lee Hooker thing when I??m 68 and sit in a chair and sing, that??s fine with me.?

snailhook

« Reply #134 on: September 02, 2005, 05:21:00 pm »
CREEPING NOBODIES/Hand Fed Babies/Equinox/Nicht Nichtet
 Warehouse Next Door -- this Saturday (tomorrow)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Tomorrow's show with the Creeping Nobodies should be really fun. Hope you may be able to make it. Here is the info:

Creeping Nobodies (Canadian girls and boys making some intelligent post-punk)
 Hand Fed Babies (Hugh and Sean playing some machines)
 Equinox (Hugh playing some machines and Saran singing on top)
 Nicht Nichtet (Members of Rude Staircase with a plot to take over your ears)

Warehouse Next Door
 1017 7th Street NW
 Close to the Mt. Vernon Sq. metro stop on the Green Line
 Doors - 9pm
 $7