Author Topic: Warehouse Next Door  (Read 81692 times)

shoot ur shot

Re: Warehouse Next Door
« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2005, 07:27:00 pm »
how about a recap of that mirrors show? sorry i had to miss it...

Jaguär

« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2005, 09:30:00 pm »
Originally posted by shoot ur shot:
  how about a recap of that mirrors show? sorry i had to miss it...
Yeah, I want to know too. I really wanted to go to that along with Friday's (sounds of) show.

I really need to move to the DC area....somehow. Though I will greatly miss those delicious smells wafting in my windows from McCormick's Spices.

snailhook

« Reply #92 on: July 28, 2005, 05:37:00 pm »
the mirrors were excellent, although greg ashley, the singer, was coming down with a sore throat and cold, so he was feeling under the weather. despite that, they played a kick-ass 30 minute set of about six dark psych gems, some jangle-pop in the kinks/byrds vein, others blazing noisy rave-ups like the sonics/13th floor elevators/count five. nothing but vintage equipment on the stage, and uncanny rapport between bandmates. there was maybe 20 people left to watch a young band hopefully on the verge of recognition (i hope).

the factory incident were mediocre to ok, but i was mostly bored by their set. totally typical, unapologetic DC post-punk that a hundred bands around here have done since 1980. john stabb is fun to watch but he ain't no mark e smith/ian curtis/jon king.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #93 on: July 29, 2005, 10:21:00 am »
Originally posted by snailhook:
  the factory incident were mediocre to ok, but i was mostly bored by their set. totally typical, unapologetic DC post-punk that a hundred bands around here have done since 1980. john stabb is fun to watch but he ain't no mark e smith/ian curtis/jon king.
Yeah, but Stabb has been in DC bands since 1980 or so.  If anyone still deserves to get away with typical unapologetic DC post-punk it's him.

They're nothing special, but Stabb is still a good front man.

snailhook

« Reply #94 on: July 29, 2005, 01:54:00 pm »
TOMORROW!
 SATURDAY JULY 30
 9:00/$6/ALL AGES

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

RIS PAUL RIC (Chris Richards of Q and Not U)
 MODERN DAY URBAN BARBARIANS (mem. of No Neck Blues Band)
 DANIEL MARTIN McCORMICK (ex-Black Eyes, White Flight)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

More about Modern Day Urban Barbarians

http://mdub.com

"More radical ambivalence from the fertile crescent of Williamsburg, MDUB's distorted bass and pounding drums make for noisy, riff-heavy
 blues. Vocals are spit, form trumps sentiment, the harmonies are bound by one or two measures, songs thud toward the edge and abruptly fall off."
 - The Village Voice

"two piece MDUB are spazz and groove technicians"
 - The Village Voice

"Most of the time, when a band comes along sounding a mess like these Barbarians do, we turn up our noses. But not just anyone can do fucked-up
 with the right combination of spirit and determination, and we think this duo -- at times coming off like a cross between Beat Happening and Vertical Slits -- may know something it isn't telling us."
 - Time Out New York

"Experimental drum and bass duo from nyc. Take a little slice of Suicide and a dash of the Fall and you have MDUB."
 - Flywheel Arts

"There are also two humans in Modern Day Urban Barbarians, but their vibe is more about broken down trash rock played with the right amount of
 manic energy."
 - Time Out

snailhook

« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2005, 02:00:00 pm »
great show last night...revival sounds great in dual-electric-guitar format and have written improved songs, tk webb was phenomenal and should be revered my many in the not-too-distant future (take note palace/smog/white stripes fans), and love as laughter recaptured mid-'70s neil young raggedy heavy folk rock vibe well.

snailhook

« Reply #96 on: August 03, 2005, 01:04:00 pm »
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 TOMORROW! THURSDAY AUGUST 4th
 8:30 DOORS/9:00 SHOW/COME EARLY

DANIEL HIGGS (of Lungfish)
 AMPS FOR CHRIST (Folkcore/Musnik from Man Is The Bastard Noise/5RC/KRS)
 GOWNS (mems MAE-SHI & AMPS FOR CHRIST)
 WZT HEARTS (Improvisational and experimental rock from Baltimore)

Music supplied by
 GEOLOGIST of ANIMAL COLLECTIVE
 between sets.

AMPS FOR CHRIST (AFC) is about the combinations of many styles of music and sound from hardcore and noise to traditional musics (Folkcore and
 Musnik). The subjects go from war and runaway corporate capitalism to peace and the love and mercy of God. The warp in the harmonic scale,
 experimentation with waveforms, and "beat-tones" are matters of great intrigue.

Barnes has been building stringed instruments, pre-amps and amplifiers of an experimental nature for many moons and used them while in the
 hardcore/noise band Man Is The Bastard (MITB). Barnes and Connell (drums of MITB) started a side band called Two Ambiguous Figures with Barnes playing sitar and Connell on the tablas. It evolved into AFC after Barnes' amicable departure from MITB in 1996. Since '92, Barnes has also been working with Wood -- and sometimes Nelson -- on another side band called Bastard Noise.

Amps For Christ has strong elements of pure noise and experimental throughout. Back in 1996 Barnes met Enid Snarb who is a recording freak and preparer of Hammonds. They started recording AFC. There have been many collaborators: The beautiful Tara Tavi singing and playing Chinese instruments, Marz of Pyramids On Mars and Barnes' bro, R., and dad, R.G. Barnes, as well as many others.

Claremont, California is home base. Barnes got his first axe at The Folk Music Center in Claremont during the brief period when it was across the street from where it is now. His mom is a folklorist and traditional ballad singer and has been very influential on his traditional side from early childhood on. Barnes' dad was into John Cage and Harry Partch and had an early jazz band for which he was songwriter, washboardist, and singer for many decades. Barnes' Grandma (Lita) was the organist at a church and taught piano lessons at home in San Bernardino, California. So you see some of the eclectic influences, eclectic desires, and reasons for the eclectic sounds of Amps For Christ.

snailhook

« Reply #97 on: August 05, 2005, 03:23:00 pm »
Warehouse Next Door/1017 7th Street NW, DC
 202.783.3933/http://www.warehousenextdoor.com
 All Ages/21+ with ID to Drink
 9:00 DOORS/10:00 SHOW/$9

TONIGHT! FRIDAY AUGUST 5th

MANHUNTER (Spectral Sound/Ghostly International)
 A HAWK AND A HACKSAW (The Leaf Label/Jeremy Barnes from Neutral Milk Hotel)
 COLLEEN (The Leaf Label)

Are you into soundscapes that beg for inclusion in David Lynch's next film? If so, how do you prefer your aural blanket -- maniacally cross-stitched or
 with more restrained ornamentation? Those into attention-mongering fusions of East and West who are willing to brave the more radical strains of klezmer music with a higher purpose will find something of interest in Neutral Milk Hotel's Jeremy Barnes' new project, A Hawk and a Hacksaw.
 AHAAH's second album, Darkness at Noon, is rich and varied and, at worst, like something out of Lord of the Dance. Equally worth investigating is Colleen, whose new disc, The Golden Morning Breaks, is a delicate selection of harmonious tones, evocative of a back yard lit by a convention of fireflies. Your intelligence will not be insulted when Colleen and A Hawk and a Hacksaw play with Manhunter at 9 p.m. at the Warehouse Next Door, 1017 7th St. NW. $9. (202) 783-3933. (Christopher Byrd/Washington City
 Paper)

COLLEEN
 While last year's Everyone Alive Wants Answers was an extremely pleasant exercise in looped and layered ambience, the latest from Parisian sound sculptor/musician Cecile Schott (aka Colleen) delves even further into developing her own personalized aesthetic. The instrumentation favors a similarly acoustic sound to that of her previous effort (guitar, glass
 glockenspiel, cello, etc.) but as opposed to the sample-heavy compositions on her debut, The Golden Morning Breaks illustrates a new phase for Colleen, which focuses as much on performance as it does on sound. The album opens slowly with a haunting guitar and cello refrain that foreshadows the cyclical melodies to come. The overall structure is deceptively simple with each track escalating just a little further than the previous. While Colleen samples and manipulates her own acoustic sounds freely, it's done in such a loosely fluid style that the listener becomes
 engaged with the music rather than the technology. The Golden Morning Breaks is a beautifully constructed album of musical vignettes that become
 richer with each new visit. This is one of the very few new electronic releases that I have found myself coming back to over and over again. Well worth the entrance fee. [KH] (OTHER MUSIC)

A HAWK AND A HACKSAW is none other than Elephant 6 Collective member Jeremy Barnes (of Neutral Milk Hotel and Bablicon). We know very well the degree of creativity and craft that goes into all of the E6 family's musical endeavors, and Barnes' latest musical pursuits are no exception. This is his
 second release under this moniker, and it picks up right where his self-titled debut left off, traversing the great expanse of folk music from around the globe (of which he's done his fair share of exploring in the past year). However, whereas he made his first AHAAH album all by his lonesome, for this one he recruited a full band. Heck, we can see why! In typical E6 fashion, he's encorporated an overflowing mixed bag o' acoustic
 instruments (various horns, bagpipes, accordion, ouds, piano, harp, and assorted percussion). Barnes invites seemingly divergent elements from
 distant plains to entwine on Darkness At Noon. Keep your ears peeled for moments influenced by klezmer, flamenco, and mariachi as well as interludes seemingly inspired by Carl Stalling, Steve Reich, and the solo accordion work of Lars Hollmer (member of Swedish prog rock greats Samla Mammas Manna). Like musical ivy, they creep and wind their way in and around each other. Very much in a similar film soundtrack-y vein to Tin Hat Trio's most recent album, the gorgeous Book Of Silk. The lead-off track "Laughter In The Dark" is a fitting entrance point. The seven-minute-long, richly atmospheric piece gradually lures you away from the lights and roar
 of the city towards more fire-lit enchanted surroundings. Barnes allows his adventurous spirit to run free, and we're fortunate to have a front row seat on his musical caravan. (Aquarius Records)

http://www.colleenplays.org
 http://www.brokenheartfoundation.org.uk/hawk
 http://www.ghostly.com
 http://www.theleaflabel.com

dotdot

« Reply #98 on: August 08, 2005, 06:56:00 pm »
Hey Snailhook!

Are Xiu Xiu playing the Warehouse 8/31?  And when and where are Wolf Eyes playing?  Brainwashed doesn't have a date listed, but I think you said they were playing...

Thanks in advance.

snailhook

« Reply #99 on: August 08, 2005, 07:30:00 pm »
xiu xiu/yellow swans/nedelle are at the warehouse on 8/31. get there early. the show will start at 9.

wolf eyes/prurient/nautical almanac/the show is the rainbow/books on tape are at DC9 on 9/27. the four opening acts will all play roughly 20 minute sets. the show will start at 9.

shoot ur shot

« Reply #100 on: August 11, 2005, 07:29:00 am »
yea the xiu xiu show will probably sell out before doors open. i sense another Envy ordeal. Besides, you want to see Yellow Swans.. they will destroy. and don't miss the Wolf Eyes show for anything in the world. Also on that bill is Prurient who's been known for delivering some of the most impassioned, drop you to your knees visceral performances youll ever see,hear or feel. I'll be front and center for this one as well as in baltimore the night before and now that Love has canceled, i'll defintiely be seeing the richmond show too. All I can say is DC9 better have one asskickin PA.. my ears need abuse!

snailhook

« Reply #101 on: August 11, 2005, 11:23:00 am »
love canceled?!? didn't hear about that...looks like i might just go to richmond as well.

DC9's PA is way better than the warehouse's.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #102 on: August 11, 2005, 11:25:00 am »
Wolf Eyes is playing Richmond? When/where?

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #103 on: August 11, 2005, 12:14:00 pm »
Originally posted by shoot ur shot:
  yea the xiu xiu show will probably sell out before doors open.
Does that mean there are advance tickets?  Or are you just saying there will be tons of people there before they open the doors.

snailhook

« Reply #104 on: August 11, 2005, 01:03:00 pm »
no advance tickets, but tons of people before doors. if you want to see this show, get there super early.