Author Topic: White Stripes stuff  (Read 18001 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: White Stripes stuff
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2003, 02:12:00 pm »
personally i think that the lack of energy was due to people focusing in jack's rather tight pants...
T.Rex

sonickteam2

« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2003, 02:13:00 pm »
exactly.  i just didnt see that crowd getting excited over anything.  me and my two friends were going nuts though  :)   and people were backing up in fear of us touching them or something, which didnt bother me at all.

i paid $30  i am getting my money's worth

mankie

« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2003, 03:00:00 pm »
Just read the Wahington Post's review of the show, well two paragraphs of it before the attention span had gone.

According to them, they should clone Jack White or something because he's the ultimate rocker, which sort of contradicts the reviews I'm reading here...(it was okay)...I then read that Jack and Meg are ex-husband and wife which confirmed this Washington Post chump doesn't know squat, but what's new with that rag?

They're brother and sister....right??

Bags

« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2003, 03:04:00 pm »
No, they were married.  You're believing the hype, Mank!

And the clone thing doesn't really belie the article.  While Jack is an incredible  musician , the  performance wasn't carried by just the two of them.

Or that was the point of the article.  I enjoyed the show, though as tooms pointed out to me, about five minutes into the washington social club, all memory of the White Stripes show was gone.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2003, 03:14:00 pm »
well even the ultimate rocker can have an off night... it was a good show not a great one... personally i would have preferred a shorter high energy show. the white stripes slower stuff while great, tends to drag the show a bit especially if you've been standing for three hours.
T.Rex

mankie

« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2003, 03:14:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bagster:
  No, they were married.  You're believing the hype, Mank!

Actually bags, I couldn't give a badgers bum about any hype...but all I've seen mentioned on this board is brother/sister...but then again they could be from West Virginia so qutie possibly husband/wife as well.

Don't tell me all these more music savvy board members were wrong?  :eek:

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2003, 03:25:00 pm »
i've never referred to them as brother and sister since the legal documents proving their marriage surfaced a couple years ago... i'm sure there were people in detroit who knew along they weren't married, but the rest of the world had to go by their story.
T.Rex

mustourdman

« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2003, 03:59:00 pm »
  To clarify, I don't think there was *no* energy at this show.  I think the reason that it's a discussion point is that the music was so good that the lack of a concomitant buzz in the audience is especially...inconsistent, and a bit of a let down.  But the show was great, I thought.  Just lower wattage overall then I would have hoped.

It was a show in a gym, though, so I never thought it was going to rock my world completely.
Yeah, I second that clarification.

Great music, mild crowd, no consensus on whether that was due to the band, the audience, or the venue.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2003, 04:15:00 pm »
Still no ideas as to who the mystery celeb at the Detroit Cobras show was?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2003, 04:22:00 pm »
nope... i have a gut feeling is he's a local musician from nova, in town for the holidays, who went on to bigger and better things.  but i don't know the scene well enough to start to figure out who he could be.
T.Rex

Bags

« Reply #85 on: November 24, 2003, 04:24:00 pm »
As long as it wasn't Tommy Keene...though I don't think he'd be described as tall, necessarily.
   :D  

Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  nope... i have a gut feeling is he's a local musician from nova, in town for the holidays, who went on to bigger and better things.  but i don't know the scene well enough to start to figure out who he could be.

mankie

« Reply #86 on: November 24, 2003, 04:31:00 pm »
Originally posted by chaz:
If not GGW...Dave Grohl?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #87 on: November 24, 2003, 04:31:00 pm »
  As long as it wasn't Tommy Keene...though I don't think he'd be described as tall, necessarily.
    :D  

Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
[/b]
not tommy i would know him if i saw him...
T.Rex

ggw

« Reply #88 on: November 24, 2003, 04:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:

If not GGW...Dave Grohl? [/b]
He's like 5'7"

mankie

« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2003, 04:42:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

Originally posted by mankie:

If not GGW...Dave Grohl? [/b]
He's like 5'7" [/b]
I'm hoping you mean 67"!  :D  

I was just trying to get bags going.