Author Topic: Hair Cuttery  (Read 14864 times)

Re: Hair Cuttery
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2007, 09:24:00 am »
Isn't it sort of ironic that Vansmack, who based on the City Paper thread fancies himself as a bit of a fashion connoisseur (although he'd cringe at the use of such a French word) shaves his head, or gets the Asian lady on the corner to cut his hair? Geez louise, of all people, I'd think you'd be the one out getting an expensive metrosexual do!   ;)  

Originally posted by vansmack:
  When I'm not shaving my head myself, I go to the Asian lady on the corner from my apt who charges $10.

I tip 20% or $2, sometimes $3 if she entertains me with a wacky Asian story.

No happy ending.

tigersscareme

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2007, 09:46:00 am »
don't hold my ineptness at hairstyling (or lack of caring) against him.
 he really was very plesant and listens to you.

vansmack

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2007, 01:03:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  Isn't it sort of ironic that Vansmack, who based on the City Paper thread fancies himself as a bit of a fashion connoisseur (although he'd cringe at the use of such a French word) shaves his head, or gets the Asian lady on the corner to cut his hair? Geez louise, of all people, I'd think you'd be the one out getting an expensive metrosexual do!    ;)    
First off, shaved heads can be sexy, especially if you're not using it to cover male pattern baldness, which I'm not.  I'll just leave it at that.  I go the shaved route about every 18 months, take it down to a one, and play my best soccer of the season.  No explanation for it.

As for the expensive do - I used to have the best gay haristylist in DC - TH (short for Tony Hall, I think).  The guy was amazing, and despite the occasional proposition to go back to his place when he was done, he cut a great hair so I couldn't stop going, despite the $30 price.  But here's what I came to discover - gay hair stylists are very unreliable.  They move around a lot, don't show up sometimes, and up and leave with no notice.  After the third replacement for TH for all the reasons noted above, I gave up on the gay hairstylist.

When I moved to SF, I was tempted by the Castro to go back to the gay hair stylist, and after a few different local barbers, I found a great Asian lady who cuts a good hair.  She can do anything I ask, and I think you'll be surprised by how metrosexual (is that even still a word?) my hair looks despite not paying a fortune on it.  Lately, I've been rocking the short faux-hawk - quite gay looking if you ask me.  

As I've been telling smackette - price is not tantamount to style.
27>34

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2007, 01:49:00 pm »
I once went to four different male hairstylists in a row, over the course of maybe a dozen years, who were all straight, or so they claimed (three of them were married, the fourth mentioned a girlfriend). Now I'm back to a chick hairstylist for the first time since my twenties.

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2007, 03:51:00 pm »
Well sure shaved heads can be sexy, if you have a model handsome face and perfect head shape. Which most people don't. I'll just leave it at that.

[/qb]
First off, shaved heads can be sexy, especially if you're not using it to cover male pattern baldness, which I'm not.  I'll just leave it at that.  [/QB][/QUOTE]

Samantha

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2007, 03:53:00 pm »
I get my hair cut at my dad's hairstylist because then he pays for it.  it's a boring cut, but it works.  I've never been 100% happy with a haircut or a hairplace, and only a few times been to the same place twice, except this lady.

I have two issues with every hair experience I've ever had: a) the colour is never what I wanted (therefore I just do it at home, with a box, and I love it every time) and b) they make my hair poofy at the end.  I don't know if it's just me, or being a female, but they always make my hair big and fluffy, and I always tell them I like my hair sleek.  WHY IS THIS??  usually I just tell them to let me leave wet.

vansmack

« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2007, 03:53:00 pm »
  Well sure shaved heads can be sexy, if you have a model handsome face and perfect head shape.

That's the nicest thing you've ever said about me.  I'm tearing up a little here...
27>34

nkotb

« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2007, 03:55:00 pm »
EXACTLY!  For the longest time, whenever getting my hair cut, they would brush it straight back and blow dry it, which made me look absurd.  I didn't look like that when I came in; why would I want to leave looking like that???

Originally posted by Samantha:
 b) they make my hair poofy at the end.  I don't know if it's just me, or being a female, but they always make my hair big and fluffy, and I always tell them I like my hair sleek.  WHY IS THIS??  usually I just tell them to let me leave wet.

Samantha

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2007, 04:00:00 pm »
for me, they always make this huge deal about it, and smile like they've done me a favour.  they finish cutting it, gel it, blow dry it up and out, and then hairspray it.  I swear to god, every time.  I wash my hair in the mornings, brush it, and go.  and that's how I like it.  why bother with all the work when I end up looking like Tammy Faye?  I just go home and re-wash it, I can't even go through the day like that.

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2007, 04:01:00 pm »
I'd like to accept the credit, but as is often the case, I'm just repeating comments my wife makes.
   :D  

Well sure shaved heads can be sexy, if you have a model handsome face and perfect head shape.

That's the nicest thing you've ever said about me.  I'm tearing up a little here... [/b]

eltee

« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2007, 04:54:00 pm »
  Well sure shaved heads can be sexy, if you have a model handsome face and perfect head shape. Which most people don't. I'll just leave it at that.

[/b]
First off, shaved heads can be sexy, especially if you're not using it to cover male pattern baldness, which I'm not.  I'll just leave it at that.  [/QB]
[/QB][/QUOTE]
 Actually, I didn't expect vansmack to go overboard with his hair. Again a buzz can look good and not everyone can pull it off, but many try! I guess, I thought of a friend, who has great hair, but buzzes it off b/c he hates dealing with it. A lot of men I know have buzzes for this reason, and I'm just sayin'..they can be sexy but not on all and I also like to see people spice it up. But, it's not my hair and I'm not about to pull a Britney.

vansmack

« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2007, 05:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by Greer Zoller:
  Actually, I didn't expect vansmack to go overboard with his hair.  
There's only so much you can do when you wear a suit almost 5 days a week.
27>34

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2007, 05:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by Samantha:
  for me, they always make this huge deal about it, and smile like they've done me a favour.  they finish cutting it, gel it, blow dry it up and out, and then hairspray it.  I swear to god, every time.  I wash my hair in the mornings, brush it, and go.  and that's how I like it.  why bother with all the work when I end up looking like Tammy Faye?  I just go home and re-wash it, I can't even go through the day like that.
your hairdresser does your makeup and gives you fake eyelashes? wow.
nothx

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2007, 07:06:00 pm »
First of all, if you go to the Hair Cutlery you deserve all you get. Secondly $160+ plus for a fucking hairdo is grounds for divorce in my house. Finally, have you noticed that the 'stylists' who work in the foo-foo places ($160+ a shot) always have the absolute worst haircuts you've ever seen in your life?

I pay $16 for a cut at a local barber, who does a very nice job and I tip him $2. I get my haircut once a month. I've been to the salon type places ($30-35) and for what I need they don't do as good a job as a regular old barber.

As for buzz cuts and shaved heads - if you're in the slightest bit chubby DON'T DO IT, YOU LOOK LIKE A RETARDED UNCLE FESTER I know for a fact if I gave myself a tight buzzcut I'd be constantly pulled over by the cops to see if I've escaped from the state pen, I don't have the face for it and I know it, even though down here with all the cycling I do in this heat it's the perfect cut for me.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2007, 07:11:00 pm »
I pay $55, with tip it's 70 or 75. I have a standing appointment every 3 weeks.