Author Topic: New Music Magazine for Old People!  (Read 27219 times)

sonickteam2

Re: New Music Magazine for Old People!
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2003, 02:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:
  I think he's missed one important thing.

I bet the, "more mature"   ;)   music buyers don't buy music magazines. They really don't care if Stings favorite color is seafoam green and pet hates are loud talkers in restaurants, and we certainly don't give a toss about the old pre-sale scams or cut out photo's for our bedroom walls....get my point?
you mean  old?

haha.

markie

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2003, 02:13:00 pm »
Thanks Sonick for finally getting what I am talking about.

But are there enough of those people to explain how Norah Jones sold 12 million albums. Or did she just sell a lot because of the huge amount of airplay coupled with it being on the counter/storefront for months on end?

I thought people who liked that boring music read rolling stone?

ggw

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2003, 02:16:00 pm »
"Older" people tend to have greater disposable income, so dropping $17.99 on the new Train, Sting, Rod Stewart album that may only get 4-5 plays is not as big a deal as it is for some entry-level twenty-something who has limited funds competing between beer, dope, or disc.

Bags

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2003, 02:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:
 So he decided to start a new one, aimed at the burgeoning market of adults over 30 who buy music. Tracks makes its debut on newsstands Tuesday.
 Billboard's current Top 50 album chart contained 21 discs by artists who arguably appeal most to this group, including Rod Stewart (news), the Eagles, Bette Midler (news), Norah Jones (news), Toby Keith (news), Sarah McLachlan (news) and Barbra Streisand (news).

That doesn't include discs by Ryan Adams (news), the Strokes or John Mayer (news), whose music â?? if not the names â?? should be familiar to older listeners.
Alas, I don't fall into this category.  I hate that at 36 I'm discarded to the "VH-1" pile, though I understand it as that's where most of my friends would land.  But Spin, Rolling Stone, etc., are not for me either.  I'm in this odd, indie middle ground.  I love it, but few reach me.  (Okay, I love Magnet, and am giving CMJ another chance.)

Despite the void of U.S. magazines trying to reach this audience, it's a thriving business in Britain with publications like Mojo and Uncut. Mojo is more focused on nostalgia and appeals to fanatics instead of casual fans, Light said.
Really?  I didn't know that about Mojo.  Glad I haven't picked it up.  I did pick up Uncut this month, and the stories are pretty varied, and record reviews hit quite a few bands I'd be interested in.  I didn't see that "VH-1" skewage...

mankie

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2003, 02:18:00 pm »
Originally posted by markie:

I thought people who liked that boring music read rolling stone?
I thought that was Spin.

BTW., Is Melody maker and Record mirror still around?

Bags

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2003, 02:19:00 pm »
yeah, what strikes me is that these consumers are buying just out of habit.  They used to like Sting, so they buy the new Sting album.  Or those folks who buy any new Dave Matthews album.  I don't see that buying contingent purchasing a whole magazine on music, even if it's supposedly geared towards them.  They're not the kind of music fan who would spend a couple hours reading about it.

Originally posted by markie:
  older people may be buying music regularly, but those doing so, are they really listening to Sting, REM,  Dolly Parton and all that shite.

I just hoped they were spur of moment purchases by uneducated customers. Aiming a magazine at them would be futile.

ggw

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2003, 02:19:00 pm »
 They really don't care if Stings favorite color is seafoam green and pet hates are loud talkers in restaurants
Someone seems to know quite a bit about Sting........

sonickteam2

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2003, 02:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bagster:
  yeah, what strikes me is that these consumers are buying just out of habit.  They used to like Sting, so they buy the new Sting album.  Or those folks who buy any new Dave Matthews album.  I don't see that buying contingent purchasing a whole magazine on music, even if it's supposedly geared towards them.  They're not the kind of music fan who would spend a couple hours reading about it.

how many people do you know buy Dave Matthews Band and Sting albums?

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2003, 02:23:00 pm »
How much did you pay for your rock n'roll T-shirt?

mankie

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2003, 02:24:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

Someone seems to know quite a bit about Sting........ [/b]
Not the first thing actually...but I do wonder why all the hipsters hate him but the Police were so huge in hipsterville back in the day.

Success = uncool

perhaps?

markie

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2003, 02:24:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:

how many people do you know buy Dave Matthews Band and Sting albums? [/b][/QUOTE]

Only you.

PR_GMR

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2003, 02:25:00 pm »
posted by sonickteam

how many people do you know buy Dave Matthews Band and Sting albums?
They're everywhere, really. They're like a contagious disease.   :cool:

markie

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2003, 02:27:00 pm »

Success = uncool

perhaps?
self-righteous, pompous, tantric sexing, tree hugging, hypocritical, Jazz musician who makes really crap pop records.

Save the rainforest one year, doing adverts for Jaguar the next.

Oh it makes me mad.

ggw

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2003, 02:30:00 pm »
  Not the first thing actually...but I do wonder why all the hipsters hate him but the Police were so huge in hipsterville back in the day.

Success = uncool

perhaps?
No.  I think the Police were great because you had Stewart Copeland keeping Sting's enormous ego in check.  And his drumming skills didn't hurt either.

Once Sting went solo, that chemistry (for lack of a better word) was gone and it was the Mr. Wanker show.

sonickteam2

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2003, 02:33:00 pm »
I am just wondering because when people start commenting on buying and thought habits about something like that, i wonder if they know this or are making generalizations.  thats all.