Author Topic: Even More Crappy Lists From Music Magazines  (Read 21539 times)

Celeste

Re: Even More Crappy Lists From Music Magazines
« Reply #105 on: November 20, 2003, 03:29:00 pm »
the lists obviously matter inasmuch as they garner attention even if it is saying how stupid and wrong they are

SPARX

« Reply #106 on: November 20, 2003, 03:30:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

Originally posted by SPARX:
    http://www.knotmag.com/?article=972  
I would tend to agree that these lists don't matter anymore, but I saw a story that said that RS got the highest number of advertisers ever for this issue.  

[/b]
How are  the rankings determined?Whoever spends the most on advertising gets to put their favorite crap band higher in the list   ;)  Wasn't meant as a personal attack against you posting it,in fact I got quite the chuckle out of it.Just as the list goes on it seems to lose all rationale.

ggw

« Reply #107 on: November 20, 2003, 03:36:00 pm »
Originally posted by SPARX:
  How are the rankings determined? Whoever spends the most on advertising gets to put their favorite crap band higher in the list    ;)   Wasn't meant as a personal attack against you posting it,in fact I got quite the chuckle out of it.Just as the list goes on it seems to lose all rationale.
No offense taken.

Rolling Stone asked musicians, critics, historians and key industry figures to rank their 50 favorites. The 273 participants included Beck, U2's The Edge, Jackson Browne, Art Garfunkel, Missy Elliott and members of Red Hot Chili Peppers, Metallica, Linkin Park and The Doors. The Ernst & Young accounting firm devised a point system to weight votes for 1,600 submitted titles.
I think the extraordinary number of "ad pages" they got wasn't really some sort of list payola, I think it was just a sad commentary on the fact that people still eat this stuff up.  As Celeste pointed out, it's probably as much for the purpose of deriding it as for any other reason.

« Reply #108 on: November 20, 2003, 03:53:00 pm »
I think i only have 14 of the top 200. Do i get a prize for having a respectably low number of crap cd's?  :eek: