Author Topic: Even More Crappy Lists From Music Magazines  (Read 21542 times)

ggw

Even More Crappy Lists From Music Magazines
« on: November 19, 2003, 01:06:00 pm »
Top 10 Best Songs Ever Recorded, from Q Magazine's 1001 Best Songs Ever.

1. One - U2
 2. I Say A Little Prayer - Aretha Franklin
 3. Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
 4. A Day In The Life - The Beatles
 5. In The Ghetto - Elvis Presley
 6. My Name Is - Eminem
 7. Creep - Radiohead
 8. Independent Women Part 1 - Destiny's Child
 9. Live Forever - Oasis
 10. River Deep Mountain High - Ike and Tina Turner

U2 SONG IS BEST ONE EVER

U2's bittersweet meditation on love, One, has been named the greatest song ever recorded.
 Music experts placed the tune, which had only a brief and unremarkable spell in the charts, above efforts by Elvis and The Beatles.

It topped the list in a special edition of respected music magazine Q honouring the 1001 Best Songs Ever.

U2 guitarist The Edge said: "When we named it, I always knew it would be number one at something."

The song was recorded at the tail end of 1990, roughly halfway through the band's - so far - quarter century career, as they tried to reinvent themselves with the Achtung Baby album.

The band, yearning to leave behind the earnest flag-waving of old had headed to the Berlin studios where David Bowie recorded Heroes.

"We all went out into the big recording room - a huge, eerie ballroom full of ghosts of the war - and everything fell into place," The Edge told the Q special.

The song - which peaked at number seven in the chart and managed just six weeks in the top 75 - is a favourite at weddings and was recorded to dramatic effect by the late Johnny Cash.

Beatles: Down at No 4
 Q's writers and a selection of well-known musicians cast their votes for the list of great songs.

Runner-up was Aretha Franklin's I Say A Little Prayer, written by the renowned songwriting partnership Bacharach and David.

Nirvana came third with Smells Like Teen Spirit, the rock anthem which briefly made them possibly the world's biggest band.

And The Beatles' epic production A Day In The Life - a segue of a Lennon tune connected to a McCartney track with the aid of producer George Martin's euphoric string arrangement - was fourth.

The Fab Four have seven other tracks in the top 1001, including Something, In My Life and Paperback Writer.

Radiohead have the highest number of entries in the list with nine songs - the highest, Creep, at number seven.

Editor in chief of the special edition, Paul Trynka, said: "Our writers and experts weren't asked to name the most historic songs of all time - rather it was the songs they enjoy hearing; songs you can use every day, whether that be on your Walkman or your brand new iPod."

ggw

Re: Even More Crappy Lists From Music Magazines
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2003, 01:08:00 pm »
Rolling Stone - 500 Greatest Albums of All Time

It's certainly a thrill: 'Sgt. Pepper' is best album
 By Edna Gundersen, USA TODAY

To everyone's complete lack of surprise, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band has been anointed the best album ever in a new Rolling Stone poll.

Rolling Stone chose the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band as the top album of all time, but editors say Pepper "wasn't a slam dunk."

The Beatles' consecrated 1967 classic tops "The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time," a collector's issue on stands Friday. Though typically the odds-on favorite for such rankings, Sgt. Pepper wasn't a slam-dunk.

"There was a horse race," says Rolling Stone music editor Joe Levy. "Early on, any number of albums in the top 10 were in the lead. The final result is no shock, but there's a reason for that. The Beatles, after all, were the most important and innovative rock group in the world. And Sgt. Pepper arguably set the tone for what an album could be."

Top 10 albums

1. The Beatles, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
 2. The Beach Boys, Pet Sounds
 3. The Beatles, Revolver
 4. Bob Dylan, Highway 61 Revisited
 5. The Beatles, Rubber Soul
 6. Marvin Gaye, What's Going On
 7. The Rolling Stones, Exile on Main Street
 8. The Clash, London Calling
 9. Bob Dylan, Blonde on Blonde
 10. The Beatles, The Beatles (The White Album)

The Beatles have four albums in the top 10. Predictably, the list is weighted toward testosterone-fueled vintage rock. The top solo female is Joni Mitchell, whose 1971 Blue is No. 30.

The newest entry is this year's Elephant by the White Stripes, landing at No. 390. The most current disc in the top 20 is Nirvana's 1991 breakthrough, Nevermind. Recent albums by Coldplay and The Strokes also made the cut, as did all three Eminem releases and a wide range of hip-hop.

"A classic record proves itself over time," Levy says, "so it's gratifying and surprising to see so many newer records on the list, considering they're competing against such beloved and titanic records as Rubber Soul and Dusty in Memphis."

Rolling Stone asked musicians, critics, historians and key industry figures to rank their 50 favorites. The 273 participants included Beck, U2's The Edge, Jackson Browne, Art Garfunkel, Missy Elliott and members of Red Hot Chili Peppers, Metallica, Linkin Park and The Doors. The Ernst & Young accounting firm devised a point system to weight votes for 1,600 submitted titles.

Voters were invited to identify favorites from any period or genre, allowing a smattering of country (Johnny Cash), jazz (Miles Davis) and seminal blues (Howlin' Wolf). The list also accommodates greatest hits collections and live recordings; four James Brown picks include two sets of hits and Live at the Apollo (1963). Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Hank Williams, The Drifters and Loretta Lynn, who flourished during the era of 45s, are represented only by hits compilations.

"Artists whose best works were singles are not going to be well represented," Levy notes. For example, he adds, "Disco is under-represented because it's a singles-driven genre."

We gathered up a few interesting statistics from the Rolling Stone "500 Greatest Albums of All Time" list:

Artists with the most entries in Rolling Stone's 500 best albums:

Beatles: 11
 Bob Dylan: 10
 Rolling Stones: 10
 Bruce Springsteen: 8
 The Who: 7
 David Bowie: 6
 Elton John: 6

5 each: The Byrds, Led Zeppelin, Neil Young, Otis Redding, U2

4 each: Madonna, Bob Marley, Elvis Costello, Grateful Dead, James Brown, Police, The Smiths, Velvet Underground, Pink Floyd, Prince, Roxy Music, Simon & Garfunkel, Sly & the Family Stone, Stevie Wonder, Talking Heads.

Decade by decade breakdown: 50s or before: 29 albums (5.8% of total 500 list) 60s: 126 (25.2%, but 55% of the top 20 70s: 183 (36.6%) 80s: 88 (17.6%) 90s: 61 (12.2%) 00s: 13 (2.6%).

Albums by men or male-led groups: 439 (87.8%)

Women or female-led groups: 47 (9.4%)

Mixed groups (with more or less equal female and male lead singers): 14 (2.8%)

Bags

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2003, 01:24:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
 The Beatles' consecrated 1967 classic tops "The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time," a collector's issue on stands Friday.
One of my pet peeves.  A collectors issue that isn't even on the f*cking stands yet.  Rolling Stone is the worst purveyor of such nonsense, but others do it as well.

:mad:  uuuurgh

markie

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2003, 01:30:00 pm »
I hate Sgt Pepper. It is so dated now.

ratioci nation

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2003, 01:32:00 pm »
Originally posted by markie:
yeah a day in the life is such a horrible song   :roll:

mankie

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2003, 01:39:00 pm »
not too mention so over-rated...it's not even the best Beatles album.

markie

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2003, 01:42:00 pm »
Its good and there are other good songs, but fixing a whole and when I'm sixty four dont belong on the best album ever. Dark saide of the moon forms a much better contiguous album

Â 
 Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Lennon/McCartney) - 2:02

Â review  
 Â 
 Â 
 With a Little Help from My Friends (Lennon/McCartney) - 2:44

Â review  
 Â 
 Â 
 Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds (Lennon/McCartney) - 3:28

Â 
 Â 
 Getting Better (Lennon/McCartney) - 2:47

Â 
 Â 
 Fixing a Hole (Lennon/McCartney) - 2:36

Â 
 Â 
 She's Leaving Home (Lennon/McCartney) - 3:35

Â review  
 Â 
 Â 
 Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite (Lennon/McCartney) - 2:37

Â 
 Â 
 Within You, Without You (Harrison) - 5:05

Â 
 Â 
 When I'm Sixty-Four (Lennon/McCartney) - 2:37

Â review  
 Â 
 Â 
 Lovely Rita (Lennon/McCartney) - 2:42

Â 
 Â 
 Good Morning, Good Morning (Lennon/McCartney) - 2:41

Â 
 Â 
 Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band... (Lennon/McCartney) - 1:18

Â review  
 Â 
 Â 
 A Day in the Life (Lennon/McCartney) - 5:33

sonickteam2

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2003, 01:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by pollard:

yeah a day in the life is such a horrible song    :roll:  [/b]
thats my favourite beatles song.

bearman🐻

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2003, 02:03:00 pm »
I love the Beatles...don't get me wrong. But I get a little tired of these lists that put them way up at the top. It's a little to predictable. Like I said...they're wonderful, they wrote incredible tunes, etc., but there are a lot of other records out there that will stand the test of time as well as the Beatles.

Bags

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2003, 02:09:00 pm »
Bunnyman raises a question I have...I know the Beatles are great, but what exactly is it that has brought them such singular fame and influence?  Wow, they're just pop songs.  But was that particularly innovative at that particular time?

I'm not disparaging the Liverpudlians, just honestly curious as to their unmatched stated influence.

mankie

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2003, 02:17:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bagster:
  Bunnyman raises a question I have...I know the Beatles are great, but what exactly is it that has brought them such singular fame and influence?  Wow, they're just pop songs.  But was that particularly innovative at that particular time?

I'm not disparaging the Liverpudlians, just honestly curious as to their unmatched stated influence.
IMHO of course

In Britain they were the figurehead for the merseybeat thing,which even I'm too young to remember.

In the US they were the figurehead for the British invasion.

A good band? Absolutely.
 One of the best? Not really.
 A good band in the right place at the right time basically.

Just like for me, Joy Division will always be the band I think of regarding the start of the manchester thingie. Are they the most talented band to come from manc? Probably not, but they were the band that I first remember from when it started.

markie

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2003, 02:20:00 pm »
The beatles wrote their own songs, which does not seem to be that common for music groups at the time.

Didnt the Sex pistols kick off the whole Manchester thing?

Bags

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2003, 02:21:00 pm »
I guess my question arises from the almost universal acknowledgement that the Beatles are the most seminal band in rock n' roll.  As you mention, Joy Division inspired Manchester, the Stones inspired their type of rock n' roll, etc.  But the Beatles seem to hold the preeminent seat, virtually across genres.  Regardless of our personal tastes.

sonickteam2

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2003, 02:23:00 pm »
the best 5 english bands ever.

1. Pink Floyd
 2. Led Zeppelin
 3. Radiohead
 4. The Who
 5. Joy Division

see, not even on there  ;)

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2003, 02:24:00 pm »
The best thing that ever happened to Joy Division was the singer hanging himself, allowing for the one guy in the band with a decent singing voice to take over. The singing in Joy Division was gawd awful.