Author Topic: Just Announced  (Read 10617078 times)

walkonby

Re: Just Announced
« Reply #14475 on: August 21, 2008, 11:16:00 am »
Originally posted by miss pretentious:

Originally posted by ixkpd-bk:
  Loretta Lynn
 12/6
 930 Club

HOT DAMN!
yeah hey, yeah hey, yeah hey.
 sweetness. [/b]
she just played a county fair near where i lived.  don't be too excited!  the woman (i'm sorry, 'cuz i love her) should retire.  it's time loretta.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #14476 on: August 21, 2008, 11:27:00 am »
Originally posted by walkonby:

Originally posted by mr. pretentious:  
 Crystal Shit
here's hoping they don't take you into court.  the people's court.
:D    :D

hutch

« Reply #14477 on: August 21, 2008, 12:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by walkonby:

Originally posted by ixkpd-bk:
  Loretta Lynn
 12/6
 930 Club

HOT DAMN!
yeah hey, yeah hey, yeah hey.
 sweetness. [/b]
she just played a county fair near where i lived.  don't be too excited!  the woman (i'm sorry, 'cuz i love her) should retire.  it's time loretta. [/b]
baloney! i was at that show (warren county fair) and she was great.. her voice is still there...

she is 73 so you go to her show knowing she may have to sit down .. also her son who plays guitar is a real clown who cracks a lot of lame jokes..

but the music was great and i got the video to prove it.

« Reply #14478 on: August 21, 2008, 12:21:00 pm »
The NY Times disagrees with you, Hutch.

A Queen of Country Holds Court in Concert

By JON CARAMANICA
 Published: August 4, 2008
 ENGLEWOOD, N.J. ?? Four songs into her set at the Bergen Performing Arts Center here on Friday night Loretta Lynn, one of the toughest-minded and sweetest-voiced singers in the history of country music, needed to rest. A back operation had been causing her pain, she said, so would those in the audience mind if she performed the remainder of the show sitting down? They did not, so she called for her daughter Peggy, who was offstage, to bring her a chair.

Loretta Lynn in a show at the Bergen Performing Arts Center in Englewood, N.J., where she played a set that ended with ??Coal Miner??s Daughter? and featured family members as well as her band.

Ms. Lynn, who is 73, is well looked after these days, and on this night she was surrounded by caretakers. Her son Ernest Ray, playing guitar in the band, bantered with her onstage. After ??Your Squaw Is on the Warpath,? when she began to ramble on about her mother??s American Indian heritage, she was swiftly interrupted by her bandleader, Bart Hansen, who asked if he could introduce the band. And one of her granddaughters, who couldn??t have been much older than 10, came out to sing Tom Petty??s ??Free Fallin?? ? and then gave her grandmother a hug and a kiss.

Four years ago Ms. Lynn released her most recent collection of original material, ??Van Lear Rose,? which was produced, elegantly, by Jack White of the White Stripes. That record, which won the 2005 Grammy for best country album, gave Ms. Lynn a flash of creative vitality and an audience beyond country nostalgists.

But on this sometimes difficult night there was little evidence of either. In her chair, its arms covered by the fullness of her lavender, rhinestone-splashed dress, Ms. Lynn was in moments discomfitingly frail. Her voice was unsteady, like a radio station coming in and out of reception. And her short songs, most topping out at around two minutes, felt even shorter. They required little stamina, but it often felt like Ms. Lynn barely had even that.

Through all this, though, Ms. Lynn??s once radical songs proved durable. There was blistering humor in ??One??s on the Way? (even though Ms. Lynn forgot some lyrics) and vicious spark in ??Fist City? and ??Don??t Come Home a-Drinkin?? (With Lovin?? on Your Mind).? And at the disjointed set??s conclusion Ms. Lynn??s signature song, the autobiographical ??Coal Miner??s Daughter,? arrived like a punch. It was of the night??s few moments of certainty.

Midshow Ms. Lynn encouraged members of the crowd to shout out requests, which they??d been doing unprompted, making the show more like a rowdy town-hall meeting. ??I may not sing it,? she said, ??but it??ll give you a chance to holler.?

And holler they did: ??Loretta? Would you sing ??Amazing Grace??? ? ??Hey, Loretta! I??m from Ireland!?

Some requests she embraced, like ??I??m a Honky Tonk Girl? and ??Somebody Somewhere (Don??t Know What He??s Missin?? Tonight).? But others eluded her. ??It??ll Be Open Season on You,? she said, ??was done 30 years ago, and I can??t remember it.? Multiple calls for ??Van Lear Rose? also went unanswered. ??Go home and play the record,? she said, half joking.

??I can??t remember the music,? she told the crowd amiably, if a bit absently. Then she turned just a few degrees toward the band. ??Play something we know,? she implored.

hutch

« Reply #14479 on: August 21, 2008, 02:20:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:

By JON CARAMANICA
 ENGLEWOOD, N.J. ?? Four songs into her set at the Bergen Performing Arts Center here on Friday .......
NO they don't Charlie N. They are talking about the show the night before!

At her show at the Warren County Fair Loretta Lynn talked about how the night before they had played the worse show in 10 years. They talked about how they had not felt good at the show etc..It happens. Also, she said she had been in some pain (as you may know she had back surgery a few years ago and had to cancel her tour to suport Van Lear Rose- i bet she would have hit the 930 then btw) etc.

At least you could have found the reviews of the Warren show which - at least the one I saw- is glowing...

Any performer who is 73 and has been performing for 50+ years is going to have an off night.

In any case, its up to the individual to see if they want to go and make their own decision..

I know I saw Johnny Cash at the 930 around 1995 and it was one of the best shows I have been to... I'm sure there were people back then saying he didn't have it.. a few months later he was diagnosed with some crazy illness and he never played again..

I know I missed Ray Charles at the Birchmere because I did not want to spend something like 100$.. a few months later he was dead.. I do believe that may have been his last concert performance though I can't say for sure..

Whats my point? Its Loretta Lynn.. you go you take what she gives you and you're glad she's still around and performing.. IF you're a Loretta Lynn fan.. If you're not then its probably a silly time to start although one listen to Van lear Rose and I think anyone would be impressed..

By the way I have some live video and maybe I'll post it on my blog to settle this minor quibble at www.47west63rd.blogspot.com  there are some pictures of Loretta on it too..

« Reply #14480 on: August 21, 2008, 02:39:00 pm »
Ok. fair enough.

Regarding Johnny Cash...I too was at that 9:30 Club show in 1995. Great show...actually, I should say it was great to see Johnny. Gave me chills. But great show at his age? Of course not.

But you're a little off on your facts. I saw him in Alabama in 1996, and his last show was actually in Flint, MI in 1997. (The quotes are for Sweetcell!)

http://blog.mlive.com/flintjournal/extra/2007/10/remembering_johnny_cashs_last_visit_to_flint.html

"Something wasn't right with Johnny Cash on the night of Oct. 25, 1997, when he performed at Whiting Auditorium. Nobody knew then what we know now - that it was the last full concert he ever gave."

Originally posted by hutch:

By JON CARAMANICA
 ENGLEWOOD, N.J. ?? Four songs into her set at the Bergen Performing Arts Center here on Friday .......
NO they don't Charlie N. They are talking about the show the night before!

At her show at the Warren County Fair Loretta Lynn talked about how the night before they had played the worse show in 10 years. They talked about how they had not felt good at the show etc..It happens. Also, she said she had been in some pain (as you may know she had back surgery a few years ago and had to cancel her tour to suport Van Lear Rose- i bet she would have hit the 930 then btw) etc.

At least you could have found the reviews of the Warren show which - at least the one I saw- is glowing...

Any performer who is 73 and has been performing for 50+ years is going to have an off night.

In any case, its up to the individual to see if they want to go and make their own decision..

I know I saw Johnny Cash at the 930 around 1995 and it was one of the best shows I have been to... I'm sure there were people back then saying he didn't have it.. a few months later he was diagnosed with some crazy illness and he never played again..

I know I missed Ray Charles at the Birchmere because I did not want to spend something like 100$.. a few months later he was dead.. I do believe that may have been his last concert performance though I can't say for sure..

Whats my point? Its Loretta Lynn.. you go you take what she gives you and you're glad she's still around and performing.. IF you're a Loretta Lynn fan.. If you're not then its probably a silly time to start although one listen to Van lear Rose and I think anyone would be impressed..

By the way I have some live video and maybe I'll post it on my blog to settle this minor quibble at www.47west63rd.blogspot.com  there are some pictures of Loretta on it too.. [/b]

azaghal1981

« Reply #14481 on: August 21, 2008, 02:39:00 pm »
Originally posted by mr. pretentious:

I'm not sure which show would be worst...Umphrey's McGee, Black Crowes, Crystal Shit, or Slightly Stoopid.

But damn, the just announced thread is really racking up turds this week.
Sorry dude, Crystal Shit was just a really bad joke that I posted when I was jacked up on coffee.  A joke I'm sad you did not get. [/b]
I chuckled if it's any consolation.
احمد

azaghal1981

« Reply #14482 on: August 21, 2008, 03:29:00 pm »
Originally posted by azaghal1981:

Originally posted by Cali:
  Oct 27 w/howlin?? rain

I miss Comets on Fire.   :(  [/b]
So apparently they're still together (with Ben Chasny) and the rumors of them breaking up aren't true therefore, missing them wouldn't make sense.

That said, I wish Ethan Miller would stop with this Howlin' Rain nonsense and focus on Comets on Fire.
احمد

Relaxer

« Reply #14483 on: August 21, 2008, 03:47:00 pm »
NO SHIT, Comets on Fire are probably the best live band going. I'd read they were on hiatus, with occasional shows here and there (they did a Blue Cathedral set last year at some festival in Europe), but I've been anxiously awaiting their return. Their show at the BC with Sounds of Kaleidoscope is in my all-time top 3.
oword

hutch

« Reply #14484 on: August 21, 2008, 09:20:00 pm »
well lets agree Johnny Cash didn't play too many shows after that one... certainly never came back to DC!

eltee

« Reply #14485 on: August 22, 2008, 10:33:00 am »
Has this been posted? (Where do we put general news?)

Will Hoge was hurt in an accident day before yesterday.
 His website was updated yesterday stating his injuries are non-life-threatening... Pollstar article

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #14486 on: August 22, 2008, 11:18:00 am »
funfunfun fest lineup
 austin tx nov. 8&9

Stage 1:

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
 The National
 Atmosphere
 Minus The Bear
 St. Vincent
 Trail of Dead
 Deerhoof
 Rival Schools
 Islands
 The Annuals
 Bishop Allen
 Centro-matic
 Sleepercar
 Frightened Rabbit
 Spinto Band
 Parts and Labor
 Colourmusic
 Experimental Dental School
 Till We're Blue or Destroy
 Paul Green's School of Rock...and more!

Stage 2:

Shearwater
 Tim Fite
 Magnetic Morning (Adam Franklin of Swervedriver & Sam Fogarino of Interpol)
 Kevin Seconds (of 7 Seconds)
 The Revival Tour w/:
 Chuck Ragan (of Hot Water Music)
 Tom Gabel (of Against Me!)
 Ben Nichols (of Lucero)
 Tim Barry (of Avail)
 The Tim and Eric Awesome Show
 The Cynics
 Ugly Beats
 El Paso Hot Button
 Walter Schreifels (of Quicksand, Rival Schools, GB, YOT)
 Coldtowne Comedy Hour
 Pepi Ginsberg
 Altercation Punk Rock Comedy Hour
 Matt Bearden
 Chris Fairbanks
 Frank Smith....and more!

Stage 3:

Bad Brains
 ALL
 Dead Milkmen
 Flipper
 Adolescents
 Integrity
 Bouncing Souls
 Swingin Utters
 DOA
 Cro-mags (jam)
 Scared of Chaka (Dave from The Shins)
 Young Widows
 Leftover Crack
 Trash Talk
 World Burns to Death
 Krumbums
 Mammoth Grinder
 Cute Lepers
 Bitter End
 High Tension Wires
 Born to Lose

Stage 4:

Clipse
 Z-trip
 Dan Deacon
 Grupo Fantasma
 Kool Keith/Dr. Octagon
 Dengue Fever
 Brownout
 Franki Chan
 Toxic Avenger
 Hawnay Troof
 Starlynx & Bigface
 Yacht
 Richard Henry....and more!

damnit. i really wanna go.
 also, when the hell did rival schools start playing again?
nothx

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #14487 on: August 22, 2008, 11:35:00 am »
  funfunfun fest lineup
 austin tx nov. 8&9
 (...)
 Dead Milkmen
fun fun fun indeed!  this looks like a damn cool little festie.
<sig>

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #14488 on: August 22, 2008, 11:37:00 am »
Originally posted by sweetcell:

funfunfun fest lineup
 austin tx nov. 8&9
 (...)
 Dead Milkmen
fun fun fun indeed!  this looks like a damn cool little festie. [/b]
agreed. tix are cheap cheap cheap too. $59.99 for the weekend. .. *starts looking at flights online*
nothx

killsaly

« Reply #14489 on: August 22, 2008, 11:43:00 am »
that fest sounds badass.  except for The Tim and Eric Awesome Show.  I didnt think anybody actually liked those idiots, or would give them a slot at a music festival.