Author Topic: Just Announced  (Read 9887419 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Just Announced
« Reply #48450 on: May 14, 2021, 11:36:42 am »
Well, by that logic, why don't we all wear masks 100% of the time forever? Its just a mask.

We would save lives by banning cars, but we don't because we understand there is an acceptable level of risk to things. If you want to wear a mask, that's terrific, I'm not going to tell you you're wrong for doing that. But we are at the point where there is not a reason for these regulations. This is no longer a public health emergency. Our hospitals are not overwhelmed and they will not return to being overwhelmed and that is because of vaccines, not masks. I understand people have PTSD over this but we are at the point where there is no point to this anymore.
LVMH

Starsky

« Reply #48451 on: May 14, 2021, 11:51:05 am »
A good reason is so people think when they are told to wear a mask it’s not for a bullshit reason but because your life really depends on it!!

Another more base one is political and I hate to bring up politics but there is a party trying to overthrow our democracy and we better do everything we can to win elections or we may not have them much longer: democrats do not want to and must not be a party associated with intrusive permanent mask mandates and also this allows Biden to take a nice well deserved victory lap

« Reply #48452 on: May 14, 2021, 11:56:41 am »
A good reason is so people think when they are told to wear a mask it’s not for a bullshit reason but because your life really depends on it!!

Another more base one is political and I hate to bring up politics but there is a party trying to overthrow our democracy and we better do everything we can to win elections or we may not have them much longer: democrats do not want to and must not be a party associated with intrusive permanent mask mandates and also this allows Biden to take a nice well deserved victory lap
Correct on both. I will continue to mask, of course, when I go into places that request/mandate it. But we are at the point where this needs to become an issue driven by the decisions of local businesses not the government, which no longer has a compelling interest to intrude.
LVMH

« Reply #48453 on: May 14, 2021, 12:37:35 pm »

JSBX is on hiatus...has been for years
last show was 2016
In a 2018 interview, Spencer elaborated on the end of the band:

"It's hard to know what to say. It's not like we had an official end but for me it was helpful in order to move forward and to do things like Spencer Sings The Hits to say, ”OK, this is done. It's over” and to really acknowledge that. Maybe one day … I don't know but it's pretty much… Yeah, I had to get going"

Never knew it was over, just thought he was doing some fun solo stuff
far as I can tell, zero JSBX stuff was played at the Hitmaker show at the black cat 2-3 years ago
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 12:39:08 pm by Bamboo-Hatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Starsky

« Reply #48454 on: May 14, 2021, 12:53:06 pm »
Did you go to the Hitmaker show at the Cat?

I think the issue with JSBX is they just weren’t able to make any real $ anymore

Roughing it is probably ok but at some point if there is not much $ in it you can pick new buddies to play with..Hitmakers seem like an awesome lineup! Early Sonic Youth drummer, Sam Coomes from Quasi

And I am sure Judah and Russell have other things going on..for all we know they had 9-5 jobs for 20 years or they do better as sidemen.. Can you imagine being over 50 and sleeping on couches or at best a cheap motel? It’s got to wear you down

Want to be clear that I love the Blues Explosion! One of my staples and I think people are missing out... I also think for some fucked up reason critics love to hate on them and they get zero respect... you could call them the real precursors to the White Stripes and Black Keys but nobody ever ever does
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 12:57:37 pm by Starsky »

Starsky

« Reply #48455 on: May 14, 2021, 01:21:50 pm »
Rodrigo y Gabriela
10/6
Anthemed (*)

* when a band that has historically played the 930 or say Lincoln for IMP makes the jump to the Anthem we call that being “Anthemed”
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 01:23:39 pm by Starsky »

Yada

« Reply #48456 on: May 14, 2021, 01:40:40 pm »
Rodrigo y Gabriela
10/6
Anthemed (*)

* when a band that has historically played the 930 or say Lincoln for IMP makes the jump to the Anthem we call that being “Anthemed”

Thank you for the detailed explanation.

Also, speaking of The Black Keys, I just listened to their new album... Back to more southerny rootsy kind of blues vs. whatever they did the past few albums. 

Space Freely

« Reply #48457 on: May 14, 2021, 01:51:05 pm »

Also, speaking of The Black Keys, I just listened to their new album... Back to more southerny rootsy kind of blues vs. whatever they did the past few albums.

Theme songs for horse shows?

Yada

« Reply #48458 on: May 14, 2021, 02:06:46 pm »

Theme songs for horse shows?

I wouldn't know... I don't think I've listened to one of their albums more than once since Brothers.

JohnnyBaconbitz

« Reply #48459 on: May 14, 2021, 02:11:52 pm »
Devo is playing Riot Fest - I would kill to see them play the Club

As in I would kill a person - including one of you

Starsky

« Reply #48460 on: May 14, 2021, 02:22:18 pm »
Those days are over... IMP would just book them at the Anthem with some other 80s band (Violent Femmes? Blondie?)

So you don’t have to kill anybody

« Reply #48461 on: May 14, 2021, 02:22:57 pm »

Hey, now. We should decide as a group which one of us should be killed and why it should be Eddie.
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #48462 on: May 14, 2021, 02:37:22 pm »

Hey, now. We should decide as a group which one of us should be killed and why it should be Eddie.

Huh. I would have guessed you would have named "Kosmo".

« Reply #48463 on: May 14, 2021, 02:40:40 pm »

Huh. I would have guessed you would have named "Kosmo".
I mean, he posts semi-regularly. If someone has to die, it shouldn't be a regular. Eddie would love a Devo Memorial Concert in his honor.
LVMH

Starsky

« Reply #48464 on: May 14, 2021, 02:50:16 pm »
I could see Eddie being into that...