Author Topic: Just Announced  (Read 9926564 times)

challenged

• Instagram
Re: Just Announced
« Reply #50790 on: December 08, 2021, 01:07:25 pm »
Kishi Bashi
Friday - 3/25/2022

Starsky

« Reply #50791 on: December 08, 2021, 01:07:34 pm »
Yes it is. I will be there

Finally Seth is booking the Latino rock I crave
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 01:13:04 pm by Starsky »

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #50792 on: December 08, 2021, 01:35:25 pm »

The English version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaDturackPI

Starsky

« Reply #50793 on: December 08, 2021, 01:51:58 pm »

The English version:

God I love that early period stuff

Zopilote Machine…I was obsessed with that

Why is the early stuff always out of print?

« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 01:54:45 pm by Starsky »

Space Freely

« Reply #50794 on: December 08, 2021, 01:57:12 pm »
Most people who love music have heard a Beatles or Stones album by the time they are 30.

Perhaps my error is assuming you love music? Or you were a late bloomer? When I was in college you could not have failed to hear led Zep albums.

I am definitely atypical but I meant atypical for a music lover. The kind of person who hangs out on a music related board.

I don’t think one is a music lover if one doesn’t have curiosity to listen to music. And that would be ok….

When I got into "alternative" music in my early 20's. I saw the Beatles and the Stones as part of the evil classic rock cabal that alternative rock was being the alternative to (at least my my mind.) Besides, I figured I had heard the best of the Stones and Beatles already, having listened to classic rock radio as a teen (though not having to money to start a music collection.)

Then in my late 20's/early 30's, I took a deep dive into Americana. At some point, I did start going back and listening to the Rolling Stones, but I was much more interested in exploring the Gram Parsons catalog than the Jagger/Richards catalog. And the Beatles just seemed way too pop to bother with when i was listening to old timey country.

What is a "music lover" anyway? My wife calls herself a "music lover," yet listens to the same Internet Money songs over and over, hates live music, thinks (like most people under 30) there's no point in full length albums because singles are where it's at, and thinks music by Dylan, Cohen, Waits, etc is "music made by white men for old white men/music snobs."

Space Freely

« Reply #50795 on: December 08, 2021, 01:58:38 pm »

The English version:

Why are we comparing Helado Negro (great) to Mountain Goats (annoying voice)?

Starsky

« Reply #50796 on: December 08, 2021, 02:03:31 pm »

The English version:

Why are we comparing Helado Negro (great) to Mountain Goats (annoying voice)?

I’ve got a message for you….if I could only remember

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #50797 on: December 08, 2021, 03:44:26 pm »
That’s pretty atypical but some people have atypical experiences…that’s life

This demonstrates an unbelievable lack of curiosity and even lack of love for music!

I became a music junkie around 11 when my parents bought me my first stereo

Music and classic rock was big in school. You talked about it and shared with friends

If you were listening to new bands you must have been coming across Beatles and Stones covers left and right not to mention reading reviews of new bands that would have mentioned these acts as touchstones or interviews etc.

I hope you are bullshitting because otherwise….

I mean let’s say I heard Lucinda Williams do a cover of Nick Drake’s Which Will on her 1992 album around 1994. Next thing you know I would explore Drake’s music and have all his albums. Or let’s say I bought a Yo la tengo album in 1994 and it had a The Only Ones cover….very quickly I would nab a the only ones cd to hear the original. At worse I can’t imagine being exposed to covers of Beatles or Stones songs and not having sought out the originals. At best I sought them out cause I read about them everywhere. You couldn’t help but read and hear how great they were. Didn’t you go to college? Have friends with music collections? Libraries?
Most people who love music have heard a Beatles or Stones album by the time they are 30.

Perhaps my error is assuming you love music? Or you were a late bloomer? When I was in college you could not have failed to hear led Zep albums.

I am definitely atypical but I meant atypical for a music lover. The kind of person who hangs out on a music related board.

I don’t think one is a music lover if one doesn’t have curiosity to listen to music. And that would be ok….

hutch, you're coming across as very narrow-minded.  if someone isn't a music lover per your personal definition, then they aren't a music lover at all?  if they haven't met certain arbitrary milestones that you set (listened to entire albums of bands X, Y and Z, by age N1; ingested entire catalog same specific bands by age N2, etc.) they they automatically can't be a music lover?  what about folks who listen exclusively to jazz, or classical, and have never listened to an entire Stones album - are they not music lovers?

i dunno, to me the timeline that space laid out makes it understandable why he wouldn't have listened to an entire Stones or Beatles album until whenever he actually did.  he was listening to entire albums of other artists.  just because the Stones and the Beatles are at the center of your music world doesn't mean they have to be at the core of everyone else's, no?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 03:46:36 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #50798 on: December 08, 2021, 03:55:22 pm »
Some people conflate being a lover/fan of something with being a researcher/student of that thing.
LVMH

Starsky

« Reply #50799 on: December 08, 2021, 04:00:14 pm »
Or they just love it so much they want to know everything about it…

Anyways YMMV

I only spent 1985-1987 in the Bay Area but the classic rock stations regularly played album sides so it was hard not to hear albums.

Also, when albums by classic rock bands were reissued one would be tempted to pick them up.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #50800 on: December 08, 2021, 04:14:02 pm »
I'm kinda feeling like we should announce something...

Oh! There's this:

Kat Von D
Soundstage
March Forth, Friday

Presale now: Exorcism

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #50801 on: December 08, 2021, 04:25:09 pm »
I actually went on Spotify to listen to her so I could make a somewhat educated snarky joke about how bad she is.  Not my cup of tea, but I am not able to make any jokes about her.  Not bad.

Oh! There's this:

Kat Von D
Soundstage
March Forth, Friday

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #50802 on: December 08, 2021, 04:26:28 pm »
That’s pretty atypical but some people have atypical experiences…that’s life

This demonstrates an unbelievable lack of curiosity and even lack of love for music!

I became a music junkie around 11 when my parents bought me my first stereo

Music and classic rock was big in school. You talked about it and shared with friends

If you were listening to new bands you must have been coming across Beatles and Stones covers left and right not to mention reading reviews of new bands that would have mentioned these acts as touchstones or interviews etc.

I hope you are bullshitting because otherwise….

I mean let’s say I heard Lucinda Williams do a cover of Nick Drake’s Which Will on her 1992 album around 1994. Next thing you know I would explore Drake’s music and have all his albums. Or let’s say I bought a Yo la tengo album in 1994 and it had a The Only Ones cover….very quickly I would nab a the only ones cd to hear the original. At worse I can’t imagine being exposed to covers of Beatles or Stones songs and not having sought out the originals. At best I sought them out cause I read about them everywhere. You couldn’t help but read and hear how great they were. Didn’t you go to college? Have friends with music collections? Libraries?

hutch, you're coming across as very narrow-minded.  if someone isn't a music lover per your personal definition, then they aren't a music lover at all?  if they haven't met certain arbitrary milestones that you set (listened to entire albums of bands X, Y and Z, by age N1; ingested entire catalog same specific bands by age N2, etc.) they they automatically can't be a music lover?  what about folks who listen exclusively to jazz, or classical, and have never listened to an entire Stones album - are they not music lovers?

i dunno, to me the timeline that space laid out makes it understandable why he wouldn't have listened to an entire Stones or Beatles album until whenever he actually did.  he was listening to entire albums of other artists.  just because the Stones and the Beatles are at the center of your music world doesn't mean they have to be at the core of everyone else's, no?

Damn, those Hutch quotes are some of the worst "personal is universal" viewpoints I've ever read.
😐 🎶

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #50803 on: December 08, 2021, 04:33:22 pm »
I actually went on Spotify to listen to her so I could make a somewhat educated snarky joke about how bad she is.  Not my cup of tea, but I am not able to make any jokes about her.  Not bad.

Oh! There's this:

Kat Von D
Soundstage
March Forth, Friday

Oh I honestly don't know anything about her, but watching a few youtube videos, I'm...not inclined to listen to much more.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #50804 on: December 08, 2021, 04:36:36 pm »
I was wondering if we need a separate "Thread so hutch and space can snipe at each other thread"