Author Topic: Just Announced  (Read 10007015 times)

challenged

• Instagram
Re: Just Announced
« Reply #50775 on: December 08, 2021, 10:48:02 am »

Elvis
C
O
S
T
E
L
L
O

Wolf trap
8-18

C
O
S
T
ELVIS
L
L
O

Space Freely

« Reply #50776 on: December 08, 2021, 11:29:12 am »

The issue is not the artist being creative past 30 but the listener

Bingo, and you did really hit the nail on the head regarding your Haim recap.

Music is never  as good as it was in your formative years or you're always yearning for the feeling that band X gave you in time Y. It just doesn't happen. Getting old sucks.

I dunno. Tell that to Challenged and Vas. They seem to be making it work and their not young kids.

And I think I'm enjoying music more now than in my teens, simply because I wasn't aware of much of the great music being made when I was in my teens. And I'm enjoying music now more than in my 20's, simply because I was too broke in my 20's to put any resources toward music.

Maybe I phrased that wrong... never as good should = music will never make the impression... At least in my opinion. I obviously still see and enjoy much much more music than probably any time of my life, but nothing hits like an album from say ages 12 to 18.

Maybe you had a better 12-18 era. For me, that was 1979-1985. i can't think of a single album that came out in that range that I actually listen to that i was aware of then. Maybe Born in the USA or War.*

*I wasn't into music when i was 12-18. Or better put, I lived in rural upstate New York, had the FM radio with three channels and the tv with three channels, so wasn't aware of any of the music being made in that era.

Space. You're still missing the point... but the first time hearing albums by Zeppelin, The Stones, Beatles, NWA, Guns and Roses, Metallica, Anthrax, Dylan, Pearl Jam, etc... those were all probably from being under 10 until late teens... THOSE SHAPED MY LIFE!!!

Jonathan Richman

What date?

Dates and days no longer matter in Just Announced.

Oh, I get it. I honestly was a singles guy until I got to college and started exploring new music on college radio. Other than Tatoo You (which for some reason my brother bought a cassette of when we were little...I bought a Rick Springfield cassette instead), I probably never heard a Stones album in it's entirety until I was in my 30's, and an entire Beatles when I was in my 40's  (of course I heard all the popular tunes on classic rock radio.) For me, the formative "album years" were probably 18-25, with albums by college rock bands like the Replacements, the Smiths, Big Audio Dyamite, the Cure, New Order, REM, etc.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #50777 on: December 08, 2021, 11:35:29 am »
The lack of Rush in this thread is disturbing.

Space Freely

« Reply #50778 on: December 08, 2021, 11:42:45 am »
The lack of Rush in this thread is disturbing.

I thought they effectively retired from touring when Peart died?

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #50779 on: December 08, 2021, 11:44:52 am »
Correct. But they were huge in the 1979-1985 era, and made formative music for the demographic of this here forum.

Space Freely

« Reply #50780 on: December 08, 2021, 11:55:40 am »
Correct. But they were huge in the 1979-1985 era, and made formative music for the demographic of this here forum.

Like I said, I didn't hear a full album in that timeframe, but I did go see them live when in high school.. Also, my French 1 teacher brought her son's album into school and played the song "Bastille Day" for us, which was pretty cool. That's all I got on Rush.

Yada

« Reply #50781 on: December 08, 2021, 12:25:22 pm »

O I probably never heard a Stones album in it's entirety until I was in my 30's, and an entire Beatles when I was in my 40's  (of course I heard all the popular tunes on classic rock radio.)

How is that possible? 

Space Freely

« Reply #50782 on: December 08, 2021, 12:36:05 pm »

O I probably never heard a Stones album in it's entirety until I was in my 30's, and an entire Beatles when I was in my 40's  (of course I heard all the popular tunes on classic rock radio.)

How is that possible?

My parents were born in 1939 and 1941 and weren't really into music. And the music they were into predated the Beatles. And I didn't start buying full albums until I was in college. And when i started college, I discovered alternative/indie/college rock, and scoffed at classic rocks bands like the Stones, Beatles, and Zeppelin. In my 20's and into my early 30's I moved onto alt-country/Americana, at which some time I started listening to the Stones. Pretty sure I held out on the Beatles until my 40's. Of course, now I feel like an idiot, but I've done things that were more idiotic than that.

Actually, there is an exception to that. I think I bought a Beatles LP in high school. I may even still have it. But I don't think this was an actual Beatles album proper, but a collection of some sort?

https://www.mercari.com/us/item/m85189025698/?gclsrc=aw.ds&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=12877497079&utm_content=t0&adgroup=120335190446&network=g&device=c&merchant_id=130539023&product_id=m85189025698&product_id=529169588824&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpNPP29DU9AIVrMmUCR2gMwShEAQYAiABEgJ3p_D_BwE
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 12:39:16 pm by Space Freely »

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #50783 on: December 08, 2021, 12:40:21 pm »
OMFG no wonder you hate the beatles.

Yada

« Reply #50784 on: December 08, 2021, 12:41:53 pm »

How is that possible?

My parents were born in 1939 and 1941 and weren't really into music. And the music they were into predated the Beatles. And I didn't start buying full albums until I was in college. And when i started college, I discovered alternative/indie/college rock, and scoffed at classic rocks bands like the Stones, Beatles, and Zeppelin. In my 20's and into my early 30's I moved onto alt-country/Americana, at which some time I started listening to the Stones. Pretty sure I held out on the Beatles until my 40's. Of course, now I feel like an idiot, but I've done things that were more idiotic than that.

Actually, there is an exception to that. I think I bought a Beatles LP in high school. I may even still have it. But I don't think this was an actual Beatles album proper, but a collection of some sort?

https://www.mercari.com/us/item/m85189025698/?gclsrc=aw.ds&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=12877497079&utm_content=t0&adgroup=120335190446&network=g&device=c&merchant_id=130539023&product_id=m85189025698&product_id=529169588824&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpNPP29DU9AIVrMmUCR2gMwShEAQYAiABEgJ3p_D_BwE

I think hutch has that album out in his shed.

Starsky

« Reply #50785 on: December 08, 2021, 12:47:36 pm »
That’s pretty atypical but some people have atypical experiences…that’s life

This demonstrates an unbelievable lack of curiosity and even lack of love for music!

I became a music junkie around 11 when my parents bought me my first stereo

Music and classic rock was big in school. You talked about it and shared with friends

If you were listening to new bands you must have been coming across Beatles and Stones covers left and right not to mention reading reviews of new bands that would have mentioned these acts as touchstones or interviews etc.

I hope you are bullshitting because otherwise….

I mean let’s say I heard Lucinda Williams do a cover of Nick Drake’s Which Will on her 1992 album around 1994. Next thing you know I would explore Drake’s music and have all his albums. Or let’s say I bought a Yo la tengo album in 1994 and it had a The Only Ones cover….very quickly I would nab a the only ones cd to hear the original. At worse I can’t imagine being exposed to covers of Beatles or Stones songs and not having sought out the originals. At best I sought them out cause I read about them everywhere. You couldn’t help but read and hear how great they were. Didn’t you go to college? Have friends with music collections? Libraries?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 12:58:09 pm by Starsky »

Space Freely

« Reply #50786 on: December 08, 2021, 12:48:20 pm »
OMFG no wonder you hate the beatles.

Oh, I love the Beatles. I just got into them unusually late in life. I still probably prefer the Stones when it comes to that question.

Space Freely

« Reply #50787 on: December 08, 2021, 12:51:11 pm »
That’s pretty atypical

This demonstrates an unbelievable lack of curiosity and even lack of love for music.

I became a music junkie around 11 when my parents bought me my first stereo

If you were listening to new bands you must have been coming across Beatles and Stones covers left and right not to mention reading reviews of new bands that would have mentioned these acts as touchstones or interviews etc.

I hope you are bullshitting because otherwise….

I mean let’s say I heard Lucinda Williams do a cover of Nick Drake’s Which Will on her 1992 album around 1994. Next thing you know I would explore Drake’s music and have all his albums. At worse I can’t imagine being exposed to covers of Beatles or Stones songs and not having sought out the originals. At best I sought them out cause I read about them everywhere. You couldn’t help but read and hear how great they were. Didn’t you go to college? Have friends with music collections?

I think when compared to the general public, your obsessiveness with all things music is probably what's atypical. Not that that's a bad thing.

When I was 11, I was still going to a Baptist church that taught us rock music was the devil's music.

Most people who went to college probably have never listened to Nick Drake. Other than a commercial or two on tv.

Starsky

« Reply #50788 on: December 08, 2021, 01:00:46 pm »
Most people who love music have heard a Beatles or Stones album by the time they are 30.

Perhaps my error is assuming you love music? Or you were a late bloomer? When I was in college you could not have failed to hear led Zep albums.

I am definitely atypical but I meant atypical for a music lover. The kind of person who hangs out on a music related board.

I don’t think one is a music lover if one doesn’t have curiosity to listen to music. And that would be ok….
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 01:18:05 pm by Starsky »

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #50789 on: December 08, 2021, 01:05:30 pm »
Helado Negro
9:30
5/4

Is this some sort of Spanish language Mountain Goats tribute band?