Author Topic: Just Announced  (Read 10598142 times)

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
Re: Just Announced
« Reply #18825 on: October 22, 2009, 12:13:00 pm »
Mix & Scratch - The Turntable

Mark Katz, Associate Professor Musicology at UNC, Chapel Hill

Mark Katz presents a lecture titled "Mix and Scratch: The Turntable Becomes a Musical Instrument, 1975-1978." This talk takes as its focus the transformation of the turntable from a playback device to a musical instrument during the early years of hip-hop. It will examine landmark innovations in turntable technique?including Grandmaster Flash's development of the clock theory method of mixing records and GrandWizzard Theodore's introduction of needle-dropping and scratching?as well as changes in turntable and mixer technology. In doing so it will offer a framework for understanding the musical and social bases for the turntable's instrumentality and demonstrate how hip-hop went from being a performance practice to a musical genre in its own right.

Mark Katz, Associate Professor of Musicology at The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, holds degrees from the College of William and Mary (B.A. in philosophy, 1992) and the University of Michigan (M.A., Ph.D. in musicology, 1999). Before joining the faculty at UNC, he taught at the Peabody Conservatory of Johns Hopkins University (1999-2006). His research and teaching focus on music and technology, popular music, and performance practice. He has written two books, Capturing Sound: How Technology has Changed Music (2004) and The Violin: A Research and Information Guide (2006). He is currently at work on two books?The Social Life of Sound Technologies: A History in Documents (with Timothy Taylor and Anthony Grajeda) and Groove Music: The Art and Culture of the Hip Hop DJ?as well as a second edition of Capturing Sound. His work on Groove Music is being supported by a grant from the National Science Foundation. He serves on the advisory board of the Journal of Musicology and editorial board of the Journal of the Society for American Music. Prof. Katz is a long-time violinist, a beginning turntablist, and a DJ at UNC?s radio station.

FREE

Friday, October 23, 2009
3:30pm - Leah M. Smith Lecture Hall, rm. 2200
Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center
University of Maryland
College Park
😐 🎶

mdh9857

« Reply #18826 on: October 22, 2009, 12:59:17 pm »
Bon Jovi
3/29/2010
Verizon Center

azaghal1981

« Reply #18827 on: October 22, 2009, 04:59:53 pm »
Wed Nov 25-  MIDNIGHT KIDS, THE CHENIERS    $8   Backstage   9:00

I just clicked on the show link and found out who The Midnight Kids were.

"Get excited boys and girls, because former Apes members Amanda Kleinman, Jeff Schmid, and Erick Jackson have dusted themselves off and re-grouped
as Midnight Kids. With the help of Theivery Corporation vocalist LouLou and Gypsy Eyes boss Kalani Tifford on bass, the band has ditched most of the Apes'
bombastic rock for a more soulful dance-oriented sound. Only for the grown and sexy."

Bummer. I always liked the Apes. "Grown and sexy" should be replaced with "boring and lame" based on the above description. :(

احمد

nkotb

« Reply #18828 on: October 22, 2009, 05:02:29 pm »
Uh, yeah. That's pretty lame.  Was wondering what happened to them.  They basically got sick of new singers and formed a new band?  Still may check it out, though...you never know.

"Get excited boys and girls, because former Apes members Amanda Kleinman, Jeff Schmid, and Erick Jackson have dusted themselves off and re-grouped
as Midnight Kids. With the help of Theivery Corporation vocalist LouLou and Gypsy Eyes boss Kalani Tifford on bass, the band has ditched most of the Apes'
bombastic rock for a more soulful dance-oriented sound. Only for the grown and sexy."

Bummer. I always liked the Apes. "Grown and sexy" should be replaced with "boring and lame" based on the above description. :(

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #18829 on: October 22, 2009, 05:24:47 pm »

I guess the name "Maroon 5" was already taken.
😐 🎶

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #18830 on: October 22, 2009, 06:01:24 pm »
Bebel Gilberto @ The National
Sat 11/22 (a rare all-seated show at The Nat'l)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #18831 on: October 22, 2009, 10:59:17 pm »
Pelican
Friday, 12/04/09          
Rock And Roll Hotel, Washington, DC
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #18832 on: October 23, 2009, 12:11:48 am »

Interesting.

I saw the Apes first show (Velvet Lounge must have been about 2000).

I used to be pretty good friends with Amanda actually and we hung out together back in the day...Nice person. Haven't talked to her in a few years though...

I'd probably be more interested in the Midnight Kids sound than I was in the Apes...

I still say Outer Body Llama is DCs best band though...

RustyOrgan

« Reply #18833 on: October 23, 2009, 09:16:42 am »
Weezer
12/9 ? Washington DC ? Patriot Center

Christine Moritz

« Reply #18834 on: October 23, 2009, 10:31:53 am »
Mix & Scratch - The Turntable

[snip]

FREE

Friday, October 23, 2009
3:30pm - Leah M. Smith Lecture Hall, rm. 2200
Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center
University of Maryland
College Park[/i]

I wish this didn't conflict with my day job -- sounds very interesting!

Vas Deferens

« Reply #18835 on: October 23, 2009, 11:56:41 am »
Evangelicals
Red and Black Bar
11/16
(_|_)

bkrome

« Reply #18836 on: October 23, 2009, 12:18:53 pm »
Matt and Kim
10/30
UMD

Girl Talk
11/6
Cole Field House

killsaly

« Reply #18837 on: October 23, 2009, 12:26:44 pm »
Matt and Kim
10/30
UMD

Girl Talk
11/6
Cole Field House

Nice to see my school getting some shows.  Any idea of the location of the Matt and Kim one?

Christine Moritz

« Reply #18838 on: October 23, 2009, 12:44:54 pm »
Nice to see my school getting some shows.  Any idea of the location of the Matt and Kim one?

Looks like it's the Grand Ballroom of Stamp Student Union:

http://umdtickets.universitytickets.com/user_pages/event.asp?id=17&cid=7

The SEE main page claims that tickets are "availible" [sic], which makes me wince: http://www.see.umd.edu/

BookerT

« Reply #18839 on: October 26, 2009, 06:19:25 pm »
Fanfarlo
Iota
either Dec 10th (according to the band's MySpace) or Dec 11th (according to the club's website)

freelance whales are opening this show. not a huge fan of either, but wouldn't be surprised if one or both were headlining 930 or at least BC within a year or two. for those that like to get in on the ground floor...