Author Topic: Just Announced  (Read 10610369 times)

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
Re: Just Announced
« Reply #19590 on: February 02, 2010, 06:41:46 pm »
Looks to me that they are planning on Lubing the NASCAR audience which seems very appropriate for a venue now run by a auto service center.
*ba-da-ding!*

She'll be here all week, ladies and gentlemen!

azaghal1981

« Reply #19591 on: February 02, 2010, 06:45:03 pm »
Girls/Dumb Dumb Girls
3/30
Recher

Guess this will make a few people happy:
On Sale Fri 2/05 10:00 am EST

Ben Folds

Fri 3/26

9:30 Club

And this will make the emo kids stop crying for two seconds:
On Sale Sat 2/13 10:00 am EST

Motion City Soundtrack
A Rocket to the Moon, Sing It Loud

Wed 4/28

9:30 Club
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 08:25:15 pm by azaghal1981 »
احمد

hutch

« Reply #19592 on: February 02, 2010, 08:59:03 pm »
Looks to me that they are planning on Lubing the NASCAR audience which seems very appropriate for a venue now run by a auto service center.

Is Jiff Lube now running the venue? I understood it was still a Live Nation venue.

azaghal1981

« Reply #19593 on: February 02, 2010, 09:02:00 pm »
They paid to have their name attached to the venue. Don't know if that gives them a say as to who plays it. Probably not.
احمد

« Reply #19594 on: February 02, 2010, 09:14:56 pm »
They paid to have their name attached to the venue. Don't know if that gives them a say as to who plays it. Probably not.

Almost certainly not. Why would Jiffy Lube want to get into concert booking/promotion.

Also, they've always had a "country" schedule at Nissan/JLL, this is nothing new.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #19595 on: February 02, 2010, 11:15:54 pm »

Is Jiff Lube now running the venue? I understood it was still a Live Nation venue.

Technically, no. But when push comes to shove, money talks. Take it however you want. Either way, I'm still not interested.

« Reply #19596 on: February 02, 2010, 11:52:41 pm »
Technically, no. But when push comes to shove, money talks.
In what practical way, though? Sure, if some band rises to popularity singing songs trashing Jiffy Lube and praising Tuffy Mufflers, yeah, they're probably not going to get booked at JLL. But I can't come up with any real way in which purchasing the naming rights to an independently-managed music venue is going to control the day-in/day-out bookings the venue has.

Jaguar

« Reply #19597 on: February 03, 2010, 12:05:54 am »
Oh, dear God. You, of all people, should understand this. If, by chance, they get a whim, or a bug up their ass, like you, than they can threaten to pull their name; hence, their support; which could be the swaying factor. Why would they bother? Who knows. Things like that happen. Maybe not often, but if they piss off the right, or wrong, person, fortunes can change.

Meantime, please see a doctor about that bug up your ass.

hutch

« Reply #19598 on: February 03, 2010, 12:12:11 am »
Oh, dear God. You, of all people, should understand this. If, by chance, they get a whim, or a bug up their ass, like you, than they can threaten to pull their name; hence, their support; which could be the swaying factor. Why would they bother? Who knows. Things like that happen. Maybe not often, but if they piss off the right, or wrong, person, fortunes can change.

Meantime, please see a doctor about that bug up your ass.

Dude, they don't run Jiffy Lube. They are the sponsor.

« Reply #19599 on: February 03, 2010, 12:13:14 am »
How is it a bug up my ass? You implied that the several country bookings had something to do with Jiffy Lube sucking up to NASCAR fans (as though only NASCAR fans need auto parts?) and several of us pointed out Nissan has had a country music package of shows for several years. You then vaguely implied that at some point Jiffy Lube would somehow use their fiduciary connection to the venue to control bookings and when I asked in what practical way you thought it was the case, I have a bug up my ass? Yeah, ok...

azaghal1981

« Reply #19600 on: February 03, 2010, 12:40:10 am »
I for one hope the Julian/Jaguar show continues throughout this godawful snow bullshit. Between this thread and the snow one, today on this forum has contained unbelievable amounts of written gold.
احمد

Jaguar

« Reply #19601 on: February 03, 2010, 12:59:59 am »
How is it a bug up my ass? You implied that the several country bookings had something to do with Jiffy Lube sucking up to NASCAR fans (as though only NASCAR fans need auto parts?) and several of us pointed out Nissan has had a country music package of shows for several years. You then vaguely implied that at some point Jiffy Lube would somehow use their fiduciary connection to the venue to control bookings and when I asked in what practical way you thought it was the case, I have a bug up my ass? Yeah, ok...

::) The Lube guys aren't stupid, I would assume. Would bet there is some boardroom talk about wooing the most potential customers between the sponsor and the venue. Don't know this for sure but big business honchos don't let everything to chance.

In a 'positive' light, I noted that the NASCAR fans are 'probably' being courted. Not 'sucked up to'. And why not? They like to go out to musical performances too. Apparently, you see that as a bad thing. I have no idea what sort of Country acts they were booking before but seems to be a smart business move on their part. Guess you don't want to agree with that because it might just bring down Julian's Illusionary American Neigborhood. Too bad! That and it scratches your bugged ass to throw barbs my way. Go see a doctor as soon as you get your paths cleared. A good psychiatrist might do you well.

Mr. Natural - I know, dude.

Ethel - Don't egg him on!

« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 01:06:48 am by Jaguar »

chancegardener

• http://www.chancegardener.com
« Reply #19602 on: February 03, 2010, 01:01:28 am »
Album Leaf
RNRH
5/4

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #19603 on: February 03, 2010, 01:15:26 am »

i strongly suspect that the contract reads: "you give us $x, we rename and promote the venue as Jiffy Lube Live".  end of contract.

there is a venue called "Verizon Center", but do you think Verizon Communications Inc., the telco, has any say over who plays there?  do you seriously think the president of Verizon can intervene to stop a hockey team, or a musical act, from playing the arena? 
<sig>

Jaguar

« Reply #19604 on: February 03, 2010, 01:21:10 am »

i strongly suspect that the contract reads: "you give us $x, we rename and promote the venue as Jiffy Lube Live".  end of contract.

there is a venue called "Verizon Center", but do you think Verizon Communications Inc., the telco, has any say over who plays there?  do you seriously think the president of Verizon can intervene to stop a hockey team, or a musical act, from playing the arena? 

Would you please read what I wrote and not what you think I wrote.  ::)

They are going to put their name where they think they might get the most business exposure. Period. And don't try telling me there wasn't some kind of talk with the venue before the deal about who those audiences might be. That sort of money isn't thrown around lightly.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 01:26:34 am by Jaguar »