Author Topic: Just Announced  (Read 10656327 times)

hutch

Re: Just Announced
« Reply #20985 on: July 29, 2010, 11:27:36 am »
Honestly I always thought Ms. Campbell looked better than she sang. But then again she looked (and looks) pretty good.

I completely agree. But Fold Your Hands Child is still my favorite B&S album for how balanced it is. It's also the most melancholy of all the albums, which is good or bad depending on your mood and perspective. If Stuart and Isobel were really together before their split in 02, then having "There's Too Much Love" as the final song on Fold Your Hands Child is incredibly ironic.

I'll have to check out her show the night before.

Respect but you're nuts... Fold Your Hands is AWFUL and not even close to the same ballpark as Tigermilk/Sinister/Arab Strap or any of the early EP only songs

And why? Because Stuart Murdoch was at the time the true talent in teh band and letting the other members get more involved was a bad idea (or maybe his creativity just dried up)

Best song on Fold Your Hands by a country mile is "I fought in a war"

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #20986 on: July 29, 2010, 11:33:53 am »
Will Isobel and Mark be busting out a version of "Nearly Lost You"?

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #20987 on: July 29, 2010, 11:43:50 am »
Respect but you're nuts... Fold Your Hands is AWFUL and not even close to the same ballpark as Tigermilk/Sinister/Arab Strap or any of the early EP only songs

And why? Because Stuart Murdoch was at the time the true talent in teh band and letting the other members get more involved was a bad idea (or maybe his creativity just dried up)

I didn't say it was the best, I said it was my favorite. If anything, I think it's the most underappreciated. Until a few years ago, the only song I really cared for on it was the Model. But after listening to it a bit more, I realized how much I liked it. There's great songs on it from front to back: I Fought in a War, the Model, Waiting for the Moon to Rise, Don't Leave the Light On, Baby, Women's Realm, Family Tree, There's Too Much Love, and my personal favorite, Nice Day for a Sulk. Fold Your Hands reminds me of an album you walk around listening to on a slow but beautiful sunny day.

As much as I love Stuart, I love hearing the other members influences on the band, for good or bad. Is it the best? No, but it's the most underappreciated and, as of right now, my favorite.

Top 3 B&S Albums:

Boy With the Arab Strap
Fold Your Hands Child
If You're Feeling Sinister

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #20988 on: July 29, 2010, 11:45:30 am »

I didn't say it was the best, I said it was my favorite. If anything, I think it's the most underappreciated. Until a few years ago, the only song I really cared for on it was the Model. But after listening to it a bit more, I realized how much I liked it. There's great songs on it from front to back: I Fought in a War, the Model, Waiting for the Moon to Rise, Don't Leave the Light On, Baby, Women's Realm, Family Tree, There's Too Much Love, and my personal favorite, Nice Day for a Sulk. Fold Your Hands reminds me of an album you walk around listening to on a slow but beautiful sunny day...high as a motherfucker.

As much as I love Stuart, I love hearing the other members influences on the band, for good or bad. Is it the best? No, but it's the most underappreciated and, as of right now, my favorite.

Top 3 B&S Albums:

Boy With the Arab Strap
Fold Your Hands Child
If You're Feeling Sinister

BookerT

« Reply #20989 on: July 29, 2010, 11:52:03 am »
Honestly I always thought Ms. Campbell looked better than she sang. But then again she looked (and looks) pretty good.

I completely agree. But Fold Your Hands Child is still my favorite B&S album for how balanced it is. It's also the most melancholy of all the albums, which is good or bad depending on your mood and perspective. If Stuart and Isobel were really together before their split in 02, then having "There's Too Much Love" as the final song on Fold Your Hands Child is incredibly ironic.

man, i agree with this statement like 100%. those 3 early EPs are really fantastic, especially "lazy line painter jane"

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #20990 on: July 29, 2010, 11:59:53 am »
And in the "blog hype has gotten way the hell out of hand and needs to be stopped immediately" department:
Surfer Blood/The Drums
9/12
930 club (wtf)

Good Lord.  Didn't they play DC9 a couple of months ago?

K8teebug

« Reply #20991 on: July 29, 2010, 12:02:16 pm »
Corin Tucker Band, BC, 10/29

Sorry if it's already been posted.

Hieronymus

« Reply #20992 on: July 29, 2010, 01:28:59 pm »

Ain't no awful B + S, far as I'm concerned. But the worst one's gotta be the OST for Storytelling. Even on the lesser albums (Fold Your Hands, Storytelling, and I'm gonna throw Arab Strap in here though that might be controversial) you've got at least a handful of really solid songs nonetheless.

I've got my fears that the new one'll be more along the lines of those I listed, and less like Life Pursuit (which I personally loved -- hope there remains some of that T. Rex-y guitar slink), just based on the two songs they've played live -- one by Stevie, which I thought was a little unfortunate, and one by Sarah, which was pretty awesome. Still kinda wished the time they took up could've been used for more oldies, but they've gotta road-test 'em.

Maybe they're just saving all the Stuart-y goodness for later.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #20993 on: July 29, 2010, 01:39:31 pm »
I've got my fears that the new one'll be more along the lines of those I listed, and less like Life Pursuit (which I personally loved -- hope there remains some of that T. Rex-y guitar slink), just based on the two songs they've played live -- one by Stevie, which I thought was a little unfortunate, and one by Sarah, which was pretty awesome. Still kinda wished the time they took up could've been used for more oldies, but they've gotta road-test 'em.

Where have you been finding setlists? At the band's website, they have no 2010 setlists listed.

I also really enjoyed the Life Pursuit. Such a stark contrast to the bands previous work.

James Ford

« Reply #20994 on: July 29, 2010, 01:44:54 pm »
Belle and Sebastian?

Come on, you guys are such girly men.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #20995 on: July 29, 2010, 01:49:57 pm »
Top 3 B&S EPs:

I'm Waking Up To Us EP
Jonathan David EP
Dog On Wheels EP

Hieronymus

« Reply #20996 on: July 29, 2010, 01:50:35 pm »

Where have you been finding setlists? At the band's website, they have no 2010 setlists listed.

I also really enjoyed the Life Pursuit. Such a stark contrast to the bands previous work.

Man, I haven't just been trolling setlists: I saw 'em live last week!

I'm overseas at the moment, y'see.

Typed this in meself, figure I missed at least one song:
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/belle-and-sebastian/2010/campa-de-la-magdalena-santander-spain-bd459b2.html

Got right up front. Full string section, band was on fire. Amazing amazing set. If You Find Yourself Caught in Love destroyed, and I was glad to see Expectations. Can't wait for my second helping in October.

And James Ford, you don't even know what gender I am... For all you know I could have ovotestes.

Ok, so I am a man. Still, that comment is pretty 1999. Now I'm gonna hear everything you say in the voice of Jack Black's character in High Fidelity.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #20997 on: July 29, 2010, 01:53:09 pm »
Lucky You. If You Find Yourself Caught In Love ALWAYS kicks ass live.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #20998 on: July 29, 2010, 02:09:49 pm »
oooh, glad to see Stars of Track and Field on the setlist!

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/belle-and-sebastian/2010/campa-de-la-magdalena-santander-spain-bd459b2.html

(_|_)

Relaxer

« Reply #20999 on: July 29, 2010, 03:06:32 pm »

That is a very good setlist. If it included 'Your Covers Blown', it would be close to perfect.
I think 'Dont Leave the Light On' is a great song.
oword