Author Topic: Just Announced  (Read 10658323 times)

hutch

Re: Just Announced
« Reply #22470 on: March 08, 2011, 03:37:32 pm »
Neil Young's ticket prices are sickening.  Considering all he's said about working folks - in his lyrics and in interviews - to be shutting out all but the rich and gouging the faithful is really inexcusable.  It's really marred my once high opinion of the guy and his music.  Neil, why do you keep Fuckin' Up?!

I think this is only partly true.  The lower-tier tickets are reasonably priced, and we don't know how much of the venues are at each price point.  It could be that most of the venue is at the lower price.

Also, Neil only jacks up his prices like this for small theater shows.  When he does larger tours, his prices are pretty reasonable.

Also, it was really fun last year at DAR watching the old people in front of us sitting in their $200+ seats expecting to hear solo acoustic Neil covering their ears in horror at the onslaught of solo electric Neil.

DAR was a small theater show?

For someone wo usually plays arenas, yes, it is a smaller venue, but not as small as he is doing this time.  Also, I think the DAR show had three different price levels, with only the front floor being $200.

smaller venue yes but small theater no mr. whippy..

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #22471 on: March 08, 2011, 03:55:37 pm »

For someone wo usually plays arenas, yes, it is a smaller venue, but not as small as he is doing this time.  Also, I think the DAR show had three different price levels, with only the front floor being $200.

I love clueless apologists.  "Yeah....but he's WORTH IT.....no?   How about he DOESN'T SELL HIS SONGS FOR COMMERCIALS!   Damn!  Most people give on that one....  He needs the money to COMPLETE ARCHIVES VOLUME 2!    Eh, that was weak.  Ok.  How about: He's an EPILEPTIC and (despite being from Canada) his medication is REALLY EXPENSIVE!"

Listen.  Neil's old.  He's going to die soon.  Then we can all forget about him (and Springsteen and Mellencamp...)  except for the occasional use of "Long May You Run" during sport athlete retirement montages.

Brian

Mr.Whippy

« Reply #22472 on: March 08, 2011, 04:50:48 pm »
Neil Young's ticket prices are sickening.  Considering all he's said about working folks - in his lyrics and in interviews - to be shutting out all but the rich and gouging the faithful is really inexcusable.  It's really marred my once high opinion of the guy and his music.  Neil, why do you keep Fuckin' Up?!

I think this is only partly true.  The lower-tier tickets are reasonably priced, and we don't know how much of the venues are at each price point.  It could be that most of the venue is at the lower price.

Also, Neil only jacks up his prices like this for small theater shows.  When he does larger tours, his prices are pretty reasonable.

Also, it was really fun last year at DAR watching the old people in front of us sitting in their $200+ seats expecting to hear solo acoustic Neil covering their ears in horror at the onslaught of solo electric Neil.

Uh, isn't that sort of what I just said?

Also, to Brian, anyone who thinks Neil being old is at all a factor hasn't seen him live.  And if you think he won't have a lasting influence on music long after he is gone you are very misguided.

hemisphire

« Reply #22473 on: March 08, 2011, 05:46:43 pm »
6/23
OK Go
Kennedy Center Millennium Stage
free

5/3-4/2012
John Legend and the Roots with the National Symphony Orchestra
Kennedy Center
$?

hutch

« Reply #22474 on: March 08, 2011, 06:20:14 pm »

Uh, isn't that sort of what I just said?

Also, to Brian, anyone who thinks Neil being old is at all a factor hasn't seen him live.  And if you think he won't have a lasting influence on music long after he is gone you are very misguided.

mr whippy, no. you originally said that the higher prices were because he was playing small theaters... well he played DAR recently and had very high prices and that is not a small theater...

Mr.Whippy

« Reply #22475 on: March 08, 2011, 06:55:02 pm »
OK, last Neil-related post I will clutter up the JA thread with.

When Neil plays big venues (amphitheaters, arenas), his ticket prices are pretty reasonable.

When he does solo tours in smaller venues (like DAR or theaters) he jacks his prices way up for some seeats, but usually still has some reasonably priced tickets.

To get back to the post that started this about his ticket prices and his ethics, due to the way he does his pricing (see above), he is better than some artists from his generation (Clapton?, The Eagles?) that charge outrageous prices even when playing huge places. 

Also, musically, he is still amazing, and put out his best record in about 2 decades last year.

hutch

« Reply #22476 on: March 08, 2011, 07:00:58 pm »
Neil Young couldn't charge higher ticket prices when he plays bigger venues.. people wouldn't pay what they pay to see the stones or eagles to see neil.. its pretty clear neil charges what he can get away with and he's no different from most... very few bands help out their fans... ac dc did... they were charging 99 for front row after 8 years of not touring.. demand was insane. they funneled those tickets to fanclub members and made them paperless. there are very few artists that give a shit about anything other than making the most money possible.

anything announced recently?

dennis miller
4-30
warner theatre
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 07:03:37 pm by hutch »

azaghal1981

« Reply #22477 on: March 08, 2011, 07:39:19 pm »
<insert rant here about Dennis Miller being a racist who needs to die soon>
احمد

Mr.Whippy

« Reply #22478 on: March 08, 2011, 08:17:13 pm »
Good points about AC/DC, very few bands go through that amount of effort for their fans. 

In the spirit of announcing something:

Titus Andronicus is opening for Okkervil River when they come to the club in early June.

wml7

« Reply #22479 on: March 08, 2011, 08:19:38 pm »
Good points about AC/DC, very few bands go through that amount of effort for their fans. 

In the spirit of announcing something:

Titus Andronicus is opening for Okkervil River when they come to the club in early June.

good God, who isn't Titus opening up for?  ;D

hutch

« Reply #22480 on: March 08, 2011, 08:48:52 pm »
must be their biggest show in years

the Smithereens
Wolftrap
6-16

RustyOrgan

« Reply #22481 on: March 08, 2011, 10:37:13 pm »
The ghost of Dennis Miller!