Author Topic: Just Announced  (Read 10649053 times)

hutch

Re: Just Announced
« Reply #27285 on: August 15, 2012, 11:20:13 am »
Doesn't really matter to me as I'm not interested...but if i was, those venues would be preferable as they are an easier drive for me.

saw them once in 1993. once was enough for me. not good enough for you to make the long drive, imo.

Sloan
Oct 11
Black Cat

These guys are good.  may have to make the trip for this one.

Sloan are a great live band.. always a good time. AND definitely worth supporting them when they're playing the Black Cat unless you want them to play Jamin Java or the RNR Hotel the next time (as they've been doing).

The Black Cat has always been Sloan's DC place and was where they played some serious big time shows in their heyday when they had their 15 minutes of hipster fame.. the hipsters- as they will do- moved on but the music has remained solid..... of course that would mean nothing to you as you're not interested.

But for a Sloan fan who actually cared it might make a difference.

Moreover, I'm not much interested in your disinterest or the fact you prefer venue a over b  because its a more convenient drive for you, for a show you don't want to go to anyways, douchebag.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 12:20:15 pm by hutch »

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #27286 on: August 15, 2012, 12:19:43 pm »
Nov 8
Ben Gibbard
Sixth & I Historic Synagogue

azaghal1981

« Reply #27287 on: August 15, 2012, 12:53:21 pm »
Pharoah Sanders 9/13,14,15 Bohemian Caverns
Two shows each night, $40 advance and $45 at door

One to cross off the bucket list.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 12:55:47 pm by azaghal1981 »
احمد

James Ford

« Reply #27288 on: August 15, 2012, 01:12:40 pm »
Serious question here.

How does a band of 40something men make it financially in the world if after 20 years of playing together they're playing gigs at places like the Black Cat backstage? It's not like they were lining their pockets  and creating huge bank accounts when they were playing on huge stages like the Black Cat mainstage.

Doesn't really matter to me as I'm not interested...but if i was, those venues would be preferable as they are an easier drive for me.

saw them once in 1993. once was enough for me. not good enough for you to make the long drive, imo.

Sloan
Oct 11
Black Cat

Sloan are a great live band.. always a good time. AND definitely worth supporting them when they're playing the Black Cat unless you want them to play Jamin Java or the RNR Hotel the next time (as they've been doing).

The Black Cat has always been Sloan's DC place and was where they played some serious big time shows in their heyday when they had their 15 minutes of hipster fame.. the hipsters- as they will do- moved on but the music has remained solid..... of course that would mean nothing to you as you're not interested.

Moreover, I'm not much interested in your disinterest or the fact you prefer venue a over b  because its a more convenient drive for you, for a show you don't want to go to anyways, douchebag.

Yada

« Reply #27289 on: August 15, 2012, 01:32:06 pm »
Serious question here.

How does a band of 40something men make it financially in the world if after 20 years of playing together they're playing gigs at places like the Black Cat backstage? It's not like they were lining their pockets  and creating huge bank accounts when they were playing on huge stages like the Black Cat mainstage.

Sloan
Oct 11
Black Cat

Large trustfunds.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #27290 on: August 15, 2012, 01:45:27 pm »
just saw these:

i think this has been mentioned before: 10/25 - Pantha Du Prince (Live) @ USMH

and in other news, the backbar has its own website: http://backbardc.com/
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #27291 on: August 15, 2012, 01:56:58 pm »
Serious question here.

Sloan
Oct 11
Black Cat

I don't know. I asked, on a different music board, whether they had day jobs because otherwise it doesn't really add up. I didn't get an answer and I"m not a Sloan obsesso so I haven't really bothered to find out.

I think, though, that its a testament to their dedication to music that they continue to soldier on putting out new albums, etc. They've even inaugurated a limited edition bootleg series. I mean its the same four guys from 20 years ago now and like clockwork every two years they put out a new album and tour coming down to the US from Canada. The fact that their albums don't sell as much or they don't draw as well doesn't seem to deter them...

I guess they just love what they do and aren't in it for the benjamins?

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #27292 on: August 15, 2012, 03:33:07 pm »
‼‼?‼‼

reggie

« Reply #27293 on: August 15, 2012, 04:34:05 pm »
Anyone know if Sloan draws a big crowd in their native Canada? I can't imagine that they would be forced to play a 200 person venue in Toronto or Montreal.

ggw

« Reply #27294 on: August 15, 2012, 04:49:58 pm »
I heard that Sloan's tours are really just fronts for a major Canadian prescription drug smuggling ring.

vansmack

« Reply #27295 on: August 15, 2012, 05:11:33 pm »
Anyone know if Sloan draws a big crowd in their native Canada? I can't imagine that they would be forced to play a 200 person venue in Toronto or Montreal.

Only when they open for the Tragically Hip.
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #27296 on: August 15, 2012, 06:20:45 pm »

as far as i know they're bigger but not huge.  930'ish.
<sig>

killsaly

« Reply #27297 on: August 15, 2012, 07:55:12 pm »
Ringo Deathstarr
23 Oct
University of Maryland WMUC

Oh hell yeah! I saw them at the CP radio station a few years ago, and it was pure gliss.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 01:38:14 pm by killsaly »

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #27298 on: August 15, 2012, 09:15:06 pm »
Ringo Deathstarr
23 Oct
University of Maryland UMUC

Oh hell yeah! I saw them at the CP radio station a few years ago, and it was pure gliss.

@ WMUC. UMUC is University of Maryland, University College. UMUC used to have a concert series but not anything like RD.
😐 🎶

azaghal1981

« Reply #27299 on: August 15, 2012, 09:17:27 pm »
Wondered about that.

I was trying to imagine where they could play at UMUC.
WMUC makes more sense.
احمد