Author Topic: Just Announced  (Read 10653314 times)

atomicfront

Re: Just Announced
« Reply #28500 on: January 28, 2013, 03:36:28 pm »
who didn't see this coming, yet another one hit wonder playing Merriweather...

JUST ANNOUNCED! @TheLumineers at @MerriweatherPP on July 26th! Tix on sale THIS FRIDAY at 10AM! #LumineersMPP http://bit.ly/111JXPL

better than the no hit wonders you like.   I am sure they will have more than one hit as every song on their album is a masterpiece.

I was hopeful that this was going to be Adele.  I doubt I will go this show as I got tickets to the show on Wednesday. 
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 03:42:03 pm by atomicfront »

travelinbeat

« Reply #28501 on: January 28, 2013, 03:50:56 pm »
Galactic 4/19

James Ford

« Reply #28502 on: January 28, 2013, 04:18:15 pm »
Speaking of one hit wonders, Rock the Casbah was pretty catchy.  ;) Some people might even be able to dance to it.

JUST ANNOUNCED! @TheLumineers at @MerriweatherPP on July 26th! Tix on sale THIS FRIDAY at 10AM! #LumineersMPP http://bit.ly/111JXPL

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #28503 on: January 28, 2013, 04:32:22 pm »

better than the no hit wonders you like.   I am sure they will have more than one hit as every song on their album is a masterpiece.

I was hopeful that this was going to be Adele.  I doubt I will go this show as I got tickets to the show on Wednesday. 
"A Masterpiece" <--------------------------------------  :D

Jimi Hendrix only had 1 "#1 hit". Having a song "chart" means dick.
‼‼?‼‼

hutch

« Reply #28504 on: January 28, 2013, 04:37:16 pm »
you can't be serious... the Clash had many hits in England and even had a US hit prior to Rock the Casbah (Train in Vain)

The Clash had built their following on the back of touring and four albums prior to Combat Rock and its single Rock the Casbah..... also plenty of singles, EPs, etc.

London Calling had already been a hit album..

What the heck have the Lumineers done prior to last month? They played frickin Jammin Java April of last year...

(and yes, I had to look up the Clash chart specifics...)

Personally I think this new paradigm where bands explode on the internet and go from playing coffeehouses to arenas in a few weeks is very problematic.. there is no way these bands are going to be able to put on anything remotely resembling a decent performance without having actually put  in the sweat and developed their performance and a stage act... People like James Brown or Mick Jagger worked for years to become quality performers. A guy like Elvis developed his stage show over a substantial period at the hayrides etc.. The most disturbing thing is the crowd probably won't even care as live performance sort of went out the window in the 1990s with the "you got to look like you're not trying to entertain people" approach

its a shame that bands no longer really have to earn it the hard way... I remember when bands would play the black cat a few times, graduate to the 930, play that a few times and maybe the lucky ones go up from there... nowadays these fly by night one hit on spotify (whatever that means) acts skip all the paying their dues/learning the ropes... but hey good luck to them and their fans..

azaghal1981

« Reply #28505 on: January 28, 2013, 04:59:47 pm »
^Well said.

I find this bands getting huge in weeks (yes; literally weeks!) thing disturbing too.

But I digress. For those who got shut out of or do not care to see Ty Segall: http://www.afi.com/silver/films/events.aspx#sound
احمد

wml7

« Reply #28506 on: January 28, 2013, 05:00:09 pm »
Father Pope John Misty, one of the former hippys from Fleet Foxes
5/16
 ;D
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 05:03:25 pm by wml7 »

atomicfront

« Reply #28507 on: January 28, 2013, 05:17:13 pm »
you can't be serious... the Clash had many hits in England and even had a US hit prior to Rock the Casbah (Train in Vain)

The Clash had built their following on the back of touring and four albums prior to Combat Rock and its single Rock the Casbah..... also plenty of singles, EPs, etc.

London Calling had already been a hit album..

What the heck have the Lumineers done prior to last month? They played frickin Jammin Java April of last year...

(and yes, I had to look up the Clash chart specifics...)

Personally I think this new paradigm where bands explode on the internet and go from playing coffeehouses to arenas in a few weeks is very problematic.. there is no way these bands are going to be able to put on anything remotely resembling a decent performance without having actually put  in the sweat and developed their performance and a stage act... People like James Brown or Mick Jagger worked for years to become quality performers. A guy like Elvis developed his stage show over a substantial period at the hayrides etc.. The most disturbing thing is the crowd probably won't even care as live performance sort of went out the window in the 1990s with the "you got to look like you're not trying to entertain people" approach

its a shame that bands no longer really have to earn it the hard way... I remember when bands would play the black cat a few times, graduate to the 930, play that a few times and maybe the lucky ones go up from there... nowadays these fly by night one hit on spotify (whatever that means) acts skip all the paying their dues/learning the ropes... but hey good luck to them and their fans..

that is really funny.  Bands that explode overnight actually are usually a hell of a lot better live than bands that have been around 30 years.  Here is an example that even someone like you can understand.  Saw Jesus and Mary Chain at old 930 club before their debut album was released in 1985.  Put on an amazing show.  One of the best of my life.  Same band 27 years later they perform at new 930 club and they were dreadful. 

Overall I think live performances quality is at an all time high.   Of monsters and Men put on another incredible show when I saw them. 

atomicfront

« Reply #28508 on: January 28, 2013, 05:29:28 pm »
You guys are pathetic.  You have turned into the old guys who say "Things were better in my day".   I really feel sorry for you.   If you don't like a band don't see them.  Stop going on like little bitches about it all the time.  I mean it would be one thing if you were into artsy music or something but most of you guys like the shitiest music out there.   I bet a bunch of you even like Elvis Costello for god's sake.   you know if you were listening to ponytail, xiu xiu and coco rosie I would appreciate your opinion.  But you don't even like Beach House for god's sake. 

You guys are music snobs who like shitty music.  You are like beer snobs who only drink nattie boh and pabst.  Guess what? Music can't be quantified as to which one is better.  You go to your shows filled with a bunch of old geeky guys and tell yourself how great the bands are when most of them don't even know how to play their instruments any more.  I will go see the talented bands that people actually like because they enjoy listening to the band's music. 

You hate bands that are popular quickly because you hate the popular kids. 

azaghal1981

« Reply #28509 on: January 28, 2013, 05:30:13 pm »
You are the only person on this board that did not care for that JAMC gig.

P.S. I like Ponytail. Or should I say liked since they are not around anymore. That last Dustin Wong album is good though.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 05:34:19 pm by azaghal1981 »
احمد

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #28510 on: January 28, 2013, 05:35:25 pm »
Whatever dude.... Bottom line if the music doesn't stir my soul, why should I force myself to like it.  It has nothing to with how popular it is.   
T.Rex

showlistdc

• http://www.showlistdc.com
    • Comprehensive DC-area concert calendar
« Reply #28511 on: January 28, 2013, 05:39:41 pm »
OK, well, for those who want to debate the Lumineers' history of concerts in this area over the last ~18 months:

10/23/11 - Jammin' Java (opening for Hey Marseilles)
4/22/12 - Jammin' Java (headliner) - sold out
6/28/12 - Wolf Trap (opening for Brandi Carlile & Josh Ritter)
7/1/12 - Rams Head Live (headliner)
12/18/12 - 1st Mariner Arena (opening for Dave Matthews Band)

They didn't exactly just jump from headlinging JJ to DAR/Merriweather; they've been touring pretty consistently over the past year-plus, both headlining shows and opening for other bands.  I agree that they'll probably be a bit of a flash-in-the-pan, but they have been getting out there and touring quite a bit and getting in front of other bands' audiences.

Also, in the summer of last year, "the lumineers" was one of the most common search phrases that landed people on ShowlistDC. (which is one reason I got to that Brandi Carlile show early enough to see them; I wanted to see what all the fuss was about.)  So I wouldn't say that they just blew up over the last few weeks.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #28512 on: January 28, 2013, 05:43:03 pm »
You are like beer snobs who only drink nattie boh and pabst.

come again?

atomicfront

« Reply #28513 on: January 28, 2013, 05:44:42 pm »
Whatever dude.... Bottom line if the music doesn't stir my soul, why should I force myself to like it.  It has nothing to with how popular it is.   

No one else told you had to like popular music.  But the fact that you like shitty bands that no one else likes and you then go on about other acts that actually have talent and are popular it gets pretty old.  I saw Graham Parker in this is 40 and I just knew you would like him. You know why? He is incredibly boring and his music lacks any imagination.  Geez get over yourself already.  You like bad music.  Ok so what.  THe db's? They are one of the least talented bands i have managed to see in the last 35 years.  And it is not only that they aren't talented they are not even trying to do anything original.

But you like them and more power to you for it.  Not everyone has good taste in music and I wouldn't knock you for it.  You know to each his own. But the arrogance that goes along with your bad taste is what gets me.  How you think you are superior for liking boring music.  People who aren't even trying very hard to make good music.  

« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 05:46:22 pm by atomicfront »

Got Haggis?

« Reply #28514 on: January 28, 2013, 05:47:24 pm »
The Lumerians > The Lumineers