Author Topic: Just Announced  (Read 10027116 times)

snailhook

Re: Just Announced
« Reply #29160 on: March 22, 2013, 04:19:34 pm »
Come celebrate Kohoutek and Clavius Productions' 10th anniversaries with our first show at the Warehouse Theatre since 2008! Always my favorite venue in DC, it will be a pleasure to mark the occasion by having a show featuring some of my close friends and favorite performers. Kohoutek will have brand-new tapes hot off the press consisting of two Virginia basements jams from the summer of 2011, and to top it off, electronics wizard Scott Allison will be playing with us in DC for the time in ages. Have a psychedelic Easter!

Sunday, March 31
Warehouse Theatre
1021 7th St NW WDC
http://www.warehousetheater.com/
202-783-3933
$8, all ages!
doors at 8pm

Kohoutek (Prophase/Music Fellowship)
Eric Carbonara (Locust/VHF, solo Philly guitar)
Daniel Bachman (Tompkins Square, solo fingerstyle acoustic guitar)
Tulsa (mem. of Dark Sea Dream/Predator Vision/Barkitecture/VOG)

Kohoutek
http://www.claviusproductions.org/
Formed in Washington DC in 2003, Philly-based experimental collective Kohoutek plays improvised psychedelia, ranging from unsettling, discordant noise to delicate, melodically shimmering rock, inspired by such varied musical entities as Can, Amon Duul 2, Ash Ra Tempel, Trad Gras Och Stenar, Dead C, Sun City Girls, Hawkwind, This Heat, Sun Ra, Art Ensemble of Chicago, and King Crimson. They inhabit a world of murky terrain where drone, musique concrete and noise coalesce with cosmic folk, where doom and sludge metal merge with fiery jazzoid polyrhythms. All Kohoutek performances are rituals channeling untapped energy transmogrified through pure expression and response to the immediate environment.

?People interested in music that defies the pop song convention, music that challenges that part of your brain that lies dormant during most aural experiences, need a band like Kohoutek. This ensemble began their wildly meandering journey across the more peripheral realms of free-form psych rock a few years back and from the very beginning they seemed determined to try to cross swathes of interstellar drone, guitar squall and loose, slowly evolving improvisations of drum and bass grooves and squelchy electronics with tapestries of gravitationally flowing darkness. What we get is a sonic bag that is raw, gorgeous, loud, dreamy, dissonant and mystical at the same time, somehow managing to transcend all sorts of seemingly limited genre barriers. Dedicated followers of bands such as The Spacious Mind, SubArachnoid Space and Ash Ra Tempel will for sure want to check these cats out, with a musical style that at its best rarely goes wrong in the live setting.? (Mats Gustafsson)

Eric Carbonara
http://www.ericcarbonara.org/
Eric Carbonara is a Philadelphia-based guitarist, whose search for raw aural expression has led him far and wide ? from noise & electro-acoustic music to taking deep root in the bounty of the wooden guitar.

Carbonara?s playing draws on the rich musical styles from Andalusian Roma-Flamenco to Hindustani & North African folk to form a kind of exalted pidgin style of playing that covers a wide emotional terrain from meditative calm to restless unease. He has developed a unique idiom of gypsy music for non-existent cultures by combining rogue self-taught, free-form classical and flamenco techniques with those learned from formal studies in India.

His live solo performances range from contemplative acoustic meditations to aggressively loud electric sets; both encompassing Carbonara?s ability to draw the listener in to his world, where his lyrical playing doesn?t just entertain but triggers a myriad of emotional responses.

Carbonara has toured extensively throughout the United States and Europe promoting his releases on Locust Music, Majumua Music and New American Folk Hero as well as various self-releases for solo guitar and solo upright-chaturangui music.

'The Paradise Abyss' is Eric Carbonara?s newest album. Told in the form of solo instrumental guitar, Carbonara?s lyrical playing offers the listener seven personal autobiographical narratives. Written over two years on a friction peg flamenco guitar, Carbonara employs techniques borrowed from Andalusian Romany, Hindustani, North African, and Western Classical guitar music to carefully shape his thematic song poems.

Daniel Bachman
http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/daniel%20bachman
Daniel Bachman is a 22-year-old musician born and raised in Fredericksburg, Virginia. He has been playing what he describes as ?psychedelic appalachia? since he was a teenager, releasing small-run editions of tapes, CDs and LPs for the past three years, with a sound that evolved from drones and banjos to a now guitar-centered focus. Touring off and on since the age of 17, Bachman has managed to cover thorough ground across the US, sharing stages with like-minded folk such as fellow Fredericksburg native Jack Rose, for whom he fashioned the artwork for the posthumous release of ?Luck In The Valley?. His newest effort is the full-length LP ?Seven Pines?, sprung from a year living and working in the city of Philadelphia. The sound results in a combination of homesick worried blues and the ecstatic buzz of fresh experience and a new life in unknown territory. Familiar and known, but also seeking to access memories from lives past, dead and gone.

azaghal1981

« Reply #29161 on: March 22, 2013, 05:03:20 pm »
My bad. Maybe I didn't post it. Search not turning up anything.
I posted that one earlier, I think. Would so be there if it did not conflict with the Feelies. Also with Dope Body and Coup Sauvage and The Snips.

Mykki Blanco record is fun.

jesus . . . when did you post it; i went back like eight pages, i think.  this artist just jumped out at me one day, somehow popping into my radar from the big freedia crew. 
احمد

azaghal1981

« Reply #29162 on: March 22, 2013, 05:05:56 pm »
This looks awesome. Tulsa sound better every time I catch them.

Come celebrate Kohoutek and Clavius Productions' 10th anniversaries with our first show at the Warehouse Theatre since 2008! Always my favorite venue in DC, it will be a pleasure to mark the occasion by having a show featuring some of my close friends and favorite performers. Kohoutek will have brand-new tapes hot off the press consisting of two Virginia basements jams from the summer of 2011, and to top it off, electronics wizard Scott Allison will be playing with us in DC for the time in ages. Have a psychedelic Easter!

Sunday, March 31
Warehouse Theatre
1021 7th St NW WDC
http://www.warehousetheater.com/
202-783-3933
$8, all ages!
doors at 8pm

Kohoutek (Prophase/Music Fellowship)
Eric Carbonara (Locust/VHF, solo Philly guitar)
Daniel Bachman (Tompkins Square, solo fingerstyle acoustic guitar)
Tulsa (mem. of Dark Sea Dream/Predator Vision/Barkitecture/VOG)

Kohoutek
http://www.claviusproductions.org/
Formed in Washington DC in 2003, Philly-based experimental collective Kohoutek plays improvised psychedelia, ranging from unsettling, discordant noise to delicate, melodically shimmering rock, inspired by such varied musical entities as Can, Amon Duul 2, Ash Ra Tempel, Trad Gras Och Stenar, Dead C, Sun City Girls, Hawkwind, This Heat, Sun Ra, Art Ensemble of Chicago, and King Crimson. They inhabit a world of murky terrain where drone, musique concrete and noise coalesce with cosmic folk, where doom and sludge metal merge with fiery jazzoid polyrhythms. All Kohoutek performances are rituals channeling untapped energy transmogrified through pure expression and response to the immediate environment.

?People interested in music that defies the pop song convention, music that challenges that part of your brain that lies dormant during most aural experiences, need a band like Kohoutek. This ensemble began their wildly meandering journey across the more peripheral realms of free-form psych rock a few years back and from the very beginning they seemed determined to try to cross swathes of interstellar drone, guitar squall and loose, slowly evolving improvisations of drum and bass grooves and squelchy electronics with tapestries of gravitationally flowing darkness. What we get is a sonic bag that is raw, gorgeous, loud, dreamy, dissonant and mystical at the same time, somehow managing to transcend all sorts of seemingly limited genre barriers. Dedicated followers of bands such as The Spacious Mind, SubArachnoid Space and Ash Ra Tempel will for sure want to check these cats out, with a musical style that at its best rarely goes wrong in the live setting.? (Mats Gustafsson)

Eric Carbonara
http://www.ericcarbonara.org/
Eric Carbonara is a Philadelphia-based guitarist, whose search for raw aural expression has led him far and wide ? from noise & electro-acoustic music to taking deep root in the bounty of the wooden guitar.

Carbonara?s playing draws on the rich musical styles from Andalusian Roma-Flamenco to Hindustani & North African folk to form a kind of exalted pidgin style of playing that covers a wide emotional terrain from meditative calm to restless unease. He has developed a unique idiom of gypsy music for non-existent cultures by combining rogue self-taught, free-form classical and flamenco techniques with those learned from formal studies in India.

His live solo performances range from contemplative acoustic meditations to aggressively loud electric sets; both encompassing Carbonara?s ability to draw the listener in to his world, where his lyrical playing doesn?t just entertain but triggers a myriad of emotional responses.

Carbonara has toured extensively throughout the United States and Europe promoting his releases on Locust Music, Majumua Music and New American Folk Hero as well as various self-releases for solo guitar and solo upright-chaturangui music.

'The Paradise Abyss' is Eric Carbonara?s newest album. Told in the form of solo instrumental guitar, Carbonara?s lyrical playing offers the listener seven personal autobiographical narratives. Written over two years on a friction peg flamenco guitar, Carbonara employs techniques borrowed from Andalusian Romany, Hindustani, North African, and Western Classical guitar music to carefully shape his thematic song poems.

Daniel Bachman
http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/daniel%20bachman
Daniel Bachman is a 22-year-old musician born and raised in Fredericksburg, Virginia. He has been playing what he describes as ?psychedelic appalachia? since he was a teenager, releasing small-run editions of tapes, CDs and LPs for the past three years, with a sound that evolved from drones and banjos to a now guitar-centered focus. Touring off and on since the age of 17, Bachman has managed to cover thorough ground across the US, sharing stages with like-minded folk such as fellow Fredericksburg native Jack Rose, for whom he fashioned the artwork for the posthumous release of ?Luck In The Valley?. His newest effort is the full-length LP ?Seven Pines?, sprung from a year living and working in the city of Philadelphia. The sound results in a combination of homesick worried blues and the ecstatic buzz of fresh experience and a new life in unknown territory. Familiar and known, but also seeking to access memories from lives past, dead and gone.
احمد

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #29163 on: March 22, 2013, 10:53:58 pm »
Dewey Beach Popfest
Friday April 12 - Saturday April 13
Rusty Rudder
FREE

Looking forward to seeing Dead Leaf Echo on Saturday.

I am beside myself with joy! No one, and I mean NO ONE worth while ever comes this way. It's in the evening and though I will have to work that day, I won't have to take any time off from work. Of course, with my luck, the weather will go straight to hell and it's an outdoor show. Really hoping Mother Nature stays with us as she often does around here.

*Az did post the Black Angels show a long time ago. Or someone did. I remember a long time ago I was going to post that show, as well as Elephant Stone, but saw someone got there first.

azaghal1981

« Reply #29164 on: March 23, 2013, 08:00:18 am »
Wax Idols 4/29 Beats
احمد

Vas Deferens

« Reply #29165 on: March 23, 2013, 11:16:18 am »
Bonnie Prince Billy
Sixth and I
7/31
(_|_)

azaghal1981

« Reply #29166 on: March 23, 2013, 02:59:22 pm »
Wax Idols 4/29 Beats

With Lorelei and TV Ghost! Now there is a bill!
احمد

killsaly

« Reply #29167 on: March 23, 2013, 05:52:56 pm »
foul swoops (dc) - the plums (dc) - violent vibes (dc)
@ cd cellar
April 4 at 9:00pm

azaghal1981

« Reply #29168 on: March 23, 2013, 06:12:37 pm »
Ahh man that conflicts with Diarrhea Planet.
Cannot miss it, though.
احمد

Captain Jack

« Reply #29169 on: March 23, 2013, 08:04:19 pm »
Clavius' return to Warehouse is awesome. Conflicts with noise night in Richmond, will have to weigh my options. Saw Tulsa down here last night, mellow garage psych, some noodling, not heavy though.

azaghal1981

« Reply #29170 on: March 23, 2013, 09:26:02 pm »
I guess Matt has a consistent thing going with that RVA noise night. Good for him.
Sucks not having him around here anymore though.
احمد

stevewizzle

« Reply #29171 on: March 25, 2013, 10:00:54 am »
Ahh man that conflicts with Diarrhea Planet.
Cannot miss it, though.

does it? DP is 4/3.  and has anyone else announced that in this thread?

diarrhea planet
@ casa fiesta
4/3

Relaxer

« Reply #29172 on: March 25, 2013, 10:04:25 am »
Bonnie Prince Billy
Sixth and I
7/31

AWWWW SHIT
oword

hutch

« Reply #29173 on: March 25, 2013, 10:05:47 am »
whats up with solange mania in dc? now she's playing a 930 show?

Yada

« Reply #29174 on: March 25, 2013, 10:23:05 am »
Bonnie Prince Billy
Sixth and I
7/31

AWWWW SHIT

Has he put anything out worth listening to since Superwolf? I was so blown away by that record and then got pretty bored of anything I heard since then.