Author Topic: Just Announced  (Read 10655611 times)

hemisphire

Re: Just Announced
« Reply #32415 on: March 19, 2014, 10:56:16 am »
Pretty sure the horror stories about that place are enough to keep me away forever. And the Live Nation thing.

I haven't been in probably 3-4 years.  Surely they've fixed the parking and traffic issues by now?  I've got a friend who lives out there and I know there are at least a lot more restaurants/bars in the area now.

As someone who 's been going to at least 1-2 shows a year there since it opened, the answer is no.  It still is on a 2 lane road (that sometimes expands to 4 lanes), and there's no direct access to 66. The connection to 29 is helpful, but only once you get out of the hell that is Wellington Rd.

And I'm also going to Queen + AL - my daughter is 2 and loves some Queen, probably her only chance to see Brian and Roger (who were great with Paul Rogers IMHO).

hutch

« Reply #32416 on: March 19, 2014, 12:49:32 pm »
KRS-One
Howard
April 1

Yada

« Reply #32417 on: March 19, 2014, 01:52:48 pm »
Pretty sure the horror stories about that place are enough to keep me away forever. And the Live Nation thing.

I haven't been in probably 3-4 years.  Surely they've fixed the parking and traffic issues by now?  I've got a friend who lives out there and I know there are at least a lot more restaurants/bars in the area now.

As someone who 's been going to at least 1-2 shows a year there since it opened, the answer is no.  It still is on a 2 lane road (that sometimes expands to 4 lanes), and there's no direct access to 66. The connection to 29 is helpful, but only once you get out of the hell that is Wellington Rd.

And I'm also going to Queen + AL - my daughter is 2 and loves some Queen, probably her only chance to see Brian and Roger (who were great with Paul Rogers IMHO).

Certain boardies are very sensitive regarding traffic issues in VA, tread lightly.

emmanuel

« Reply #32418 on: March 19, 2014, 02:18:01 pm »
Certainly for us in Baltimore this VA venue seems like the worst option for DC area shows... Although I don't think I will visit these type of venues very often.

...and Camera Obscura!!  :)

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #32419 on: March 19, 2014, 02:27:03 pm »
ill drive 2 hours one way to see a show, or sometimes 5 hours 1 way and stay the night if it is a band is that awesome . . . just take the manassas exit off 66 or sudley rd off 29, turn right on balls ford rd (first right after 66 bridge) and a right on wellington.  bam.  getting out after a show is so easy i think now compared to what it used to be.

and cant you turn on university off of wellington, after the show, which takes you right to 66?  i remember that when i went to see black sabbath and thought, damn . . . when did this get so easy?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 02:33:35 pm by walkonby »

bekessler

« Reply #32420 on: March 19, 2014, 02:37:55 pm »
Flume
7-24

Vas Deferens

« Reply #32421 on: March 19, 2014, 02:38:40 pm »

U STREET
5/20

yessssssssssss!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 02:41:31 pm by Vas Deferens »
(_|_)

Got Haggis?

« Reply #32422 on: March 19, 2014, 02:55:31 pm »
Certainly for us in Baltimore this VA venue seems like the worst option for DC area shows... Although I don't think I will visit these type of venues very often.

I agree. There is no way in hell I will ever go to the lube to see a show, I don't care who is playing. distance combined with traffic = no thanks.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #32423 on: March 19, 2014, 04:23:24 pm »
BiLLY IDOL 
HOB  Atlantic City

Saturday, May 31, 2014

Pre-Sale is Thursday, March 20, 2014 at 10AM.
Enter Code ESCAPE.
FUKIT

atomic

« Reply #32424 on: March 19, 2014, 04:28:14 pm »

Well I am pretty sure it is much quicker to see the show in Philly over Nissan/Jiffy/Next Product  venue.  I believe the only band to ever play there I wanted to see is Depeche Mode and I have seen them so many times over the years I really don't see the need to track all the way out there for that.

Luckily for us in Baltimore all the good shows seem to come to MPP.  MPP has gone down over the years I would say. When I was younger I always seem to have been making out with random chicks on the lawn.  That never happens anymore.

Hexenjagd

« Reply #32425 on: March 19, 2014, 07:12:06 pm »
5/11 (mothers day!)
Shlohmo, JIM E STACK, PURPLE
U St

I dont know the first two on that list, but Purple is one of my current favorite solo artists.
https://soundcloud.com/wedidit-collective/the-club1/s-kpLdJ

hutch

« Reply #32426 on: March 19, 2014, 08:00:25 pm »
every year around this time we have the same conversation about how hard it is to get to jiffy lube...

in my opinion its gotten way easier (most people just had a terrible experience 10 years ago and are still going by that...)and if you're on the virginia side its closer and easier than MPP....none of this obscures the fact that MPP is a nicer venue with a much better vibe/concessions/heck probably even people.... we don't need to get into how horrible a company live nation ticketmaster is..i think at this point its established act

but from my house (exit 69 on 66) i can't see russia but i can get to jiffy lube pretty easily and with little inconvenience unless its a sellout or heavily sold type show...

for me by the way few things are less pleasant than driving on 495 around rush hour heading up to silver spring and beyond....to me it seems like a death trap.. 66 can be slow but at least its a straight line... lets not mention the classic maryland driver that permeates the maryland suburbs of dc.. you know the one with the maroon suv full of redskins crap who doesn't seem to have learned to drive...

if i lived in baltimore of course i'd never go to jiffy lube and would vastly prefer mpp which is practically next to baltimore!... as it is i'd rather see an act at mpp but not because its less inconvenient to me...

the arguments will go on... this post will be forgotten and i'll have to restate it- if i bother- again next year. frankly i don't think i will bother as baby i'm bored

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #32427 on: March 19, 2014, 08:07:58 pm »
I'd rather go to any venue in the country than Nissan.  God that place sucks.  (OK maybe I'd go there before I'd go to Wolf Trap, but that's about it.)
FUKIT

hutch

« Reply #32428 on: March 19, 2014, 08:10:04 pm »
I'd rather go to any venue in the country than Nissan.  God that place sucks.  (OK maybe I'd go there before I'd go to Wolf Trap, but that's about it.)

wow Wolf Trap?

A beautiful national park with wonderful acoustics that one can take their own drinks and food into.... yeah I hate that..

betao

« Reply #32429 on: March 19, 2014, 08:39:27 pm »
went to Wolf Trap for the first time a couple of years ago for Dead Can Dance and thought it was a fine venue. why the hate?