Author Topic: Just Announced  (Read 10027464 times)

atomic

Re: Just Announced
« Reply #33045 on: May 28, 2014, 06:22:50 pm »
Name a year in recent memory that Artscape lineup was any better?

I'd say Sharon Jones is the best headliner they've had in years...though for me not worth battling Friday DC traffic to get to.

Rev Horton Heat 7/19 at Artscape as well.  Overall, I think the Artscape lineup is extremely poor this year. Not really into any of the local bands either. Plurals maybe ok in a goofy way.

They had Cake one year which is 100 times better than Sharon Jones ...Also Joan Jett.   Should I go on?

azaghal1981

« Reply #33046 on: May 28, 2014, 06:49:15 pm »
Crying/Told Slant
7/6
Metro Gallery
احمد

Hexenjagd

« Reply #33047 on: May 28, 2014, 06:55:35 pm »
Rev Horton Heat 7/19 at Artscape as well.  Overall, I think the Artscape lineup is extremely poor this year. Not really into any of the local bands either. Plurals maybe ok in a goofy way.
Agreed.  With so many good bands to choose from, how is that the local lineup?  As for Plurals, I would not even recommend seeing them as a goof.  I took shelter from the rain inside of Metro Gallery during ScapeScape one year while they played... It wasn't good.  I almost would have rather stood in the rain at the Charles Street lot but I still had too much fest left to be soaked during. 

Speaking of which, I hope ScapeScape happens this year and thank goodness there wont be a Grand Prix happening at the same time again.

James Ford

« Reply #33048 on: May 28, 2014, 07:36:19 pm »
Cake better than Sharon Jones? Hahaha. You are disqualified from the game, superbro.

How many years ago was Joan Jett?

I'd say Sharon Jones is the best headliner they've had in years...though for me not worth battling Friday DC traffic to get to.

They had Cake one year which is 100 times better than Sharon Jones ...Also Joan Jett.   Should I go on?

hutch

« Reply #33049 on: May 28, 2014, 08:24:26 pm »
Cake better than Sharon Jones? Hahaha. You are disqualified from the game, superbro.

I love Cake and Joan Jett....although I stopped buying Cake's stuff after Pressure Chief..

I keep trying to figure out what people love about Sharon Jones.... I mean people say its like 60s soul or something but it just doesn't begin to compare to Etta or Aretha....no way no how.. If there was a band that could do something like Aretha's Lady Soul I'd be the first to go crazy over it...I just dont hear it with Sharon Jones and the Daptones... I'm the first guy to be into retro sounding bands but they have to be at least somewhere nearly as good....it can't be about production...

dyecraig

« Reply #33050 on: May 28, 2014, 10:44:36 pm »

I love Cake and Joan Jett....although I stopped buying Cake's stuff after Pressure Chief..

I keep trying to figure out what people love about Sharon Jones.... I mean people say its like 60s soul or something but it just doesn't begin to compare to Etta or Aretha....no way no how.. If there was a band that could do something like Aretha's Lady Soul I'd be the first to go crazy over it...I just dont hear it with Sharon Jones and the Daptones... I'm the first guy to be into retro sounding bands but they have to be at least somewhere nearly as good....it can't be about production...

good points hutch, but have you seen her and her killer band live and in person...and for FREE?

Unsanity

« Reply #33051 on: May 29, 2014, 04:02:40 am »
Saturday's Artscape is pretty good I say! Galactic, Ozomatli, Reverend Horton Heat, etc. Deaf Scene is playing as well. They are pretty cool local B-more music for sure.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #33052 on: May 29, 2014, 07:55:50 am »

I listen to retro soul bands all the time and Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings are simply one of the best out there.  Great singer, songwriting and tight as hell band.
T.Rex

K8teebug

« Reply #33053 on: May 29, 2014, 08:09:17 am »
-

Vas Deferens

« Reply #33054 on: May 29, 2014, 08:44:57 am »
Aretha wishes she's as good as Sharon Jones! ha ha ha!
(_|_)

James Ford

« Reply #33055 on: May 29, 2014, 08:48:01 am »
I remember seeing Aretha headline Artscape back in the 90's. Remember when Artscape actually used to have big names like that as headliners? Admittedly at that point she was an oldies act herself.

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #33056 on: May 29, 2014, 08:54:00 am »
if you were to go see Sharon Jones all shall be revealed

Nigel Tufnel

« Reply #33057 on: May 29, 2014, 09:17:38 am »
They had the Old 97's and the Avett Brothers one year, but that's been a while...  maybe 2006 or 2007.

James Ford

« Reply #33058 on: May 29, 2014, 09:25:47 am »
And Drive By Truckers another year.

Admittedly, it's more about personal taste than actual measurable quality.

I would love to see Sharon Jones for free, but the 7:30 start time on a Friday in Baltimore is impossible for us. Too bad she's not playing Sat or Sun for free. Plus, I already have a ticket for Camera Obscura for that night.

They had the Old 97's and the Avett Brothers one year, but that's been a while...  maybe 2006 or 2007.

Yada

« Reply #33059 on: May 29, 2014, 09:45:51 am »
Remember Jam on Penn?