Author Topic: Just Announced  (Read 10027566 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: Just Announced
« Reply #33075 on: May 29, 2014, 07:19:51 pm »
Milo Greene
10/19
9:30 Club

Nice to see Milo Greene playing the club this time around, really enjoy their debut record and missed them when they played in town last year.
T.Rex

hutch

« Reply #33076 on: May 29, 2014, 08:08:33 pm »
I saw Sharon Jones with Daryl Hall......weird show.... she wasn't with the Daptones ..but I wasn't that impressed...I could see it working in a different context...still doesn't take away from the albums being rather weak in my opinion and I love 60s soul music

As far as Cake... their early stuff rules.... Fashion Nugget? Prolonging the Magic? Are you kidding me?

I can't think of a less frat boy-i band either... Ever listen to "The Distance"?

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #33077 on: May 29, 2014, 08:12:14 pm »
I saw Sharon Jones and the Dap kings once and it was perfectly OK but I never wanted to see them again particularly. I have never understood this community's (musical) hard-on for them.

Cake, on the other hand, was one of the three worst concerts I have ever seen.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 08:14:29 pm by Julian, Community ORGANIZER »
LVMH

atomic

« Reply #33078 on: May 29, 2014, 08:13:20 pm »
Whatever happened to Duffy?  She would be a good front person for the dap kings.

hutch

« Reply #33079 on: May 29, 2014, 08:14:26 pm »
I saw Sharon Jones and the Dap kings once and it was perfectly OK but I never wanted to see them again particularly. Cake, on the other hand, was one of the three worst concerts I have ever seen.

Cake doesn't sound very Julian's America-ish ..that is for sure....

I don't know how anybody could not like songs like Satan is my motor, frank sinatra... the cover of that willie tune...

cake had it going on for a while...its tough to transport yourself back to 1996 though.... and everything ages so poorly...that's life..

atomic

« Reply #33080 on: May 29, 2014, 08:15:46 pm »
I saw Sharon Jones and the Dap kings once and it was perfectly OK but I never wanted to see them again particularly. Cake, on the other hand, was one of the three worst concerts I have ever seen.

We'll if you are going to say 3 who are the other two?  I would say worst I have seen are The Replacements, Flipper, and Bon Jovi.  All in the 80's... It is amazing how much better bands are these day live.

« Reply #33081 on: May 29, 2014, 08:16:57 pm »
I actually like cakes first 2 to 3 albums, and was semi-excited to see them. But their live performance was a absolute shitheap. 23-year-old Julian was openly asking "what the hell is the shit?" between songs.
LVMH

« Reply #33082 on: May 29, 2014, 08:20:02 pm »

We'll if you are going to say 3 who are the other two?  I would say worst I have seen are The Replacements, Flipper, and Bon Jovi.  All in the 80's... It is amazing how much better bands are these day live.
Filter at the norva a few days before someone in the band -- I forget who -- went into rehab. Band came on hours late and Richard Patrick seemed to know none of the lyrics. Opened with their three biggest hits, we left 45 minutes in when it was clear the entire thing was coming off the rails.

The aforementioned Cake show.

Billy Corgan at 930 in support of his solo LP. Awwwful.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #33083 on: May 29, 2014, 09:01:24 pm »
I saw Cake at the 930 as part of some small festival.. i think the cobras and cheap trick where on the bill...

i thought cake was ok live..they weren't great..i grant that...

just love their songs from those early albums..they're a part of my DNA at this point...

Unsanity

« Reply #33084 on: May 30, 2014, 12:40:25 am »
Trash Talk and Left Brain are embarking on a free tour, with a stop in Baltimore. Venue unknown so far. You can RSVP here:

http://www.gpen.com/freetour

Strife @ Charm City Art Space Monday, June 16th

James Ford

« Reply #33085 on: May 30, 2014, 08:23:35 am »
I could totally see the dumb fratboy crowd moshing it up to "The Distance". Total fratboy song. What are you eve ntaking about?

Plenty of bands are less frat boy-I (sic) than Cake. Ever listen to Belle and Sebastian or Camera Obscura?

I saw Sharon Jones with Daryl Hall......weird show.... she wasn't with the Daptones ..but I wasn't that impressed...I could see it working in a different context...still doesn't take away from the albums being rather weak in my opinion and I love 60s soul music

As far as Cake... their early stuff rules.... Fashion Nugget? Prolonging the Magic? Are you kidding me?

I can't think of a less frat boy-i band either... Ever listen to "The Distance"?

hutch

« Reply #33086 on: May 30, 2014, 10:55:44 am »
I could totally see the dumb fratboy crowd moshing it up to "The Distance". Total fratboy song. What are you eve ntaking about?

Plenty of bands are less frat boy-I (sic) than Cake. Ever listen to Belle and Sebastian or Camera Obscura?

yeah but the joke would be on the fratboys, right?

you do know what the distance is about i hope...

K8teebug

« Reply #33087 on: May 30, 2014, 11:25:48 am »
There is a commentary thread to discuss the importance of Cake and Sharon Jones and Artscape lineups.

Hexenjagd

« Reply #33088 on: May 30, 2014, 12:58:43 pm »
Thanks Kate! I do not understand why some people want to go on and on and on about what they like and dislike, in this thread. 

Doyle (Misfits)
Metro Gallery
8/19

with:
ASHYLUS
https://www.facebook.com/ashylus

RAVAGERS
https://www.facebook.com/ravagersgang

FLAG OF THE WHITE ROSE
https://www.facebook.com/FlagOfTheWhiteRose

ENEMY INSECTS
https://www.facebook.com/EnemyInsects