Author Topic: Just Announced  (Read 10027155 times)

Re: Just Announced
« Reply #37815 on: April 04, 2016, 11:14:56 am »
They Might Be Giants. Free at the Science and Engineering Festival. 4/16, Convention Center

The festival itself (4/16-4/17) is a cool (though too crowded!) event to bring kids to if they're 4+.
tried and failed to go last year
will probably bring the kids this year and leave them un chaperoned :)
slack

Vas Deferens

« Reply #37816 on: April 04, 2016, 11:24:18 am »
Seal
8/24
Warner
(_|_)

killsaly

« Reply #37817 on: April 04, 2016, 11:33:16 am »
Yes!  Seal is the man!

Vas Deferens

« Reply #37818 on: April 04, 2016, 11:58:55 am »
sigur ros skipping DC
philly show on 10/8

http://sigur-ros.co.uk/tour/
(_|_)

Yada

« Reply #37819 on: April 04, 2016, 12:11:13 pm »

Space Freely

« Reply #37820 on: April 04, 2016, 01:18:46 pm »
They Might Be Giants. Free at the Science and Engineering Festival. 4/16, Convention Center

The festival itself (4/16-4/17) is a cool (though too crowded!) event to bring kids to if they're 4+.
tried and failed to go last year
will probably bring the kids this year and leave them un chaperoned :)

You must be referring to 2014, as they only have this every two years.

I went with my daughter in 2014. Not sure why my wife wasn't with us. The early show was a "Family Show", the late show was an "Adult Show". Not sure why we went to the late show, but we did. Amazing the number of "adults" (i.e. 20something nerds with no kids, I can only assume they were presenters at the festival because the festival really does seem geared toward kids, so why would you be there without kids?) who proceeded to push my six year old aside so they could get a better view.

Anyway, we only lasted a handful of songs (it was too loud for kids, and she couldn't see anything anyway), then left.

I'm hoping there's a "Family Show" this year, and it's truly familes and not adult dorks without kids. My daughter has more show experience under her belt now, it's really my wife I'm more worried for, as her tolerance for bullshit is very low.

Space Freely

« Reply #37821 on: April 04, 2016, 01:27:27 pm »
Math nerd announcement...today is square root day. Only happens nine times a century.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/it-s-square-root-day-prepare-to-be-somewhat-underwhelmed/

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #37822 on: April 04, 2016, 02:10:31 pm »
Hamilton Leithauser, Paul Maroon
June 3
DC9

hutch

« Reply #37823 on: April 04, 2016, 02:15:55 pm »
Shawn Colvin/Steve Earle
Birchmere
6-21/22

Relaxer

« Reply #37824 on: April 04, 2016, 02:17:33 pm »
If you brought your kid to the "adult" show, and then whined and complained that all the adults made it a poor experience for your child, then why doesn't your no-bullshit wife call you a full-of-shit asshole? Asking for a friend.
oword

hutch

« Reply #37825 on: April 04, 2016, 02:17:56 pm »
Sigur Ros
Philly
10-8-16
academy of music

looks like no dc date

hutch

« Reply #37826 on: April 04, 2016, 02:20:12 pm »
If you brought your kid to the "adult" show, and then whined and complained that all the adults made it a poor experience for your child, then why doesn't your no-bullshit wife call you a full-of-shit asshole? Asking for a friend.

a path should have been cleared for them to get to the front and space around them so they could dance...

Space Freely

« Reply #37827 on: April 04, 2016, 02:32:16 pm »

It was an "adult show" at what it primarily a KID'S FESTIVAL. I took it to mean they were going to be playing music from their "adult albums" as opposed to their "kid albums."  Hence, my interpretation of "adult show" was that was indicating what part of their catalog they're be pulling music from. Not that they'd be playing a show for adults only at a kid's festival.

In reality, looking at the setlist online, half of the songs they played at the "adult show" were from their kid albums. So that would indicate to me that the show wasn't intended as something for adults only.

And finally, any adult who pushes kids out of the way to see something is an asshole. Ever been to to zoo with your kids? There's tons of people there who do just that, and 99% of the time they don't have kids in tow (and they're probably the same people whining about parents bringing their kids to breweries or restuarants).

Space Freely

« Reply #37828 on: April 04, 2016, 02:33:34 pm »

a path should have been cleared for them to get to the front and space around them so they could dance...

Ideally there would be a "kids only" area in the front, but I imagine there's just too many damn people.

hutch

« Reply #37829 on: April 04, 2016, 02:39:25 pm »

Ideally there would be a "kids only" area in the front, but I imagine there's just too many damn people.

I should think the ideal would be a "designated 'Space Freely Zone'" right in front of the stage.... other people's kids can be real bratty sometimes...